Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Albany, NY

Old Jul 27, 10, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I've booked 3 nights at the TownPlace Suites @ SUNY for early August. Checking on tripadvisor some of the reviews have been mixed. It's hard to tell whether there refer to this property or the TownPlace Suites at the Medical Center.

I'm interested in any feedback on either one. Alternatively, if you can recommend another Marriott property in the area that would be much appreciated as well.

I'm travelling with 2 teenagers. We're making an annual trek to the NY Giants camp at UAlbany with a side trip to 6 Flags over Lake George.

Thanks! ^
Old Jul 27, 10, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Platinum, Priority Club-Platinum StarWood-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, United-Silver
My favorite Albany area Marriott is the Courtyard on Wolf road. Its been newly remodeled a year or two ago, so its in pretty good shape. Also, the FS Marriott on Wolf Road has an outdoor pool from what I can remember so that may be an option as well since you have your kids with you.
Old Jul 27, 10, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
I stayed at the Town Place Suites on Washington Ave opposite the University for 1 night last October. It was more than fine.

Make sure to have lunch at Sutters on Western Ave (the opposite side of the campus). Great burgers.
Old Jul 27, 10, 5:49 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by nickfromct View Post
My favorite Albany area Marriott is the Courtyard on Wolf road. Its been newly remodeled a year or two ago, so its in pretty good shape.
Still in good shape.

Originally Posted by nickfromct
Also, the FS Marriott on Wolf Road has an outdoor pool from what I can remember so that may be an option as well since you have your kids with you.
You are correct about the pool. I actually prefer the FS since it has a lounge. The downstairs bar seems to have alot of regulars.

Back to the OP, I would recommend the CY in Saratoga Springs it you want to stay closer to Lake George. It's a very nice facility and quick trip into town.
Old Jul 27, 10, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
We like the Springhill in Colonie, stay there every year visiting family around Christmas...
Old Jul 30, 10, 10:39 pm
Used to be 'where2next'

Programs: MR Platinum
We've stayed at the TownPlace Suites and it was fine, but the breakfast was not, which is why we usually stay next door at the Fairfield Inn. The FI often has the best rates in the area. I realize that is not your best choice for this trip. Definitely go to Sutter's Mill on the other side of campus, great burgers and very casual.
Old Jul 31, 10, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
I've stayed repeatedly recently at the Fairfield in East Greenbush. It adds just a few miles of easy driving and tends to be about $50/night cheaper than the Courtyards. Great service, recently renovated, clean, very quiet, etc. Don't think it has a pool, tho.

Also stayed at the Fairfield near SUNY this month and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Worn and tired.

EDIT: The East Greenbush location DOES have an outdoor pool. It's to the side of the hotel in its own enclosed area. Warm months only, obviously. Also have discovered that the rooms at the front of the hotel are much quieter than the back.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Nov 3, 10 at 12:22 am
Old Aug 1, 10, 3:05 pm

Programs: continental, delta, Southwest, Cathay Pacific, USAir; Marriott Platinum
Wolf Road, Albany, NY Properties

Two on Wolf Road: Courtyard and a full-service Marriott. Wolf road is a main retail/restaurant street in Albany.
Old Nov 2, 10, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium
The wife and I are doing a stopover in Albany on the way to Vermont and need to choose between the TownPlace Downtown and TownPlace SUNY.

She has a special where it's only costing her 5,000 points to redeem for 1 night.

Which of these two have the best location? We are arriving at around 7pm and want to either be able to walk to a decent pub/restaurant or have a short drive. We are leaving early the next morning.

Thanks.
Rich
Old Nov 3, 10, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
The wife and I are doing a stopover in Albany on the way to Vermont and need to choose between the TownPlace Downtown and TownPlace SUNY. [...] Which of these two have the best location?
Neither has an especially good location. The SUNY location is on the west side of town, in a cluster of hotels squeezed between the university and the highway. There isn't much of anything right there; you'll have to drive and your options are mostly suburban (chain restaurants, etc.) But it's very easy to reach from I-90.

The downtown location is right on the edge of a relatively "gritty" neighborhood - the kind that looks worse than it really is. Delaware Ave is toward the side of the hotel. If you make a left, in about 5 blocks Delaware turns into Lark Street and there's roughly 5 blocks of local pubs and restaurants. It's a well-known nightlife area of Albany ("Center Square"). If you turn right instead, there is a local independent movie theatre with (typically) a great selection of films and a GREAT old-fashioned ice cream shop.

I have stayed at the downtown Towneplace. It's fine; kind of a strange layout, a little noisy, but a lot of the rooms are oversized compared to the average Towneplace. Definitely good enough for an overnight stop. A little far from the highway (it will be closer if you are driving up from NYC, tho).

If you'd like more details/recommendations, PM me.

EDIT: A friend has informed me that the reason the layout of the Towneplace Downtown is odd is because the building used to be a nursing home. This also explains the unusually large elevators. Interesting trivia to note.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Feb 28, 11 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 3, 10, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks, MDtR-Chicago.

I think I'll choose the DT one. We'll survey the area when we get there to see if it's too "gritty" to walk to the restaurants.

I see the hotel is located next to the NY Department of Mental Health, that's a plus.

Rich
Old Jan 14, 11, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
I think I'll choose the DT one.
Wondering how this turned out...

Also wanted to update the thread as I have been staying in Albany quite a bit lately:

Fairfield Inn East Greenbush: Had a few more stays here. Still my favorite option, factoring in price. They have a few rooms right above the front desk that are about 20% larger than the rest. There is also a "one double bed" room that is quite nice for a business traveler: instead of the second bed, there is a living area with no table - great for setting up an ironing board. (Note: The "one double bed" can also be an accessible room - but they are nice as well. Very well designed with a huge bathroom.) Front of hotel (odd numbered rooms) quiet.

Fairfield Inn Malta: Very accommodating, very nice studio suite upgrade, gift bag, just far enough from Albany to be annoying, also right next to I-87 so noticable road noise

Fairfield SUNY: Stayed twice and both times had depressing rooms. Dingy/dirty, poorly decorated, etc. Overall a rather depressing place.

Towneplace SUNY: Quite acceptable but had that classic odd cooking smell, no upgrade even though I asked (lots of Plats/Golds in house)

Towneplace Downtown: As mentioned above - active city location, decent rooms, no upgrade

Residence Inn East Greenbush: Very new-feeling, good service, but lots and lots of loud families in the common areas when I was there (on a Thursday)

EDIT: The Fairfield in Malta is running a contest - once they reach 100 people who "like" them on Facebook, they will give out a free overnight in a king suite. Search for their page on Facebook and you'll see it in the comments from November.

EDIT 2: Updated with new info about the FI East Greenbush. I've also stayed at the Springhill Suites Albany/Colonie which is a nice property. There are many family groups (youth sports teams, etc.) who stay here, especially on the weekends, so it can be a bit noisy. I had a "larger king (studio) suite" - had a cavernous living room. Could clearly hear the noise from the hallway. However, I turned on the HVAC fan and didn't hear anything after that. The bed was great and there were separate shower and toilet rooms. As it turns out, I know several people who work there and they are high quality hotel folk so service should never be a problem. I'll be back there again if it fits within my allowable rates.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Feb 28, 11 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 2, 11, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Planning on using a Cat 4 Mega Bonus Cert that expires on 9/30 in the Albany area.

Presently have booked the Marriott for a weekend stay. Anyone know if Gold gets coupons for breakfast?

Setting aside the above question, which property would one choose since the cost is free -- Springhill, Residence Inns, Fairfield, etc.
Old Sep 3, 11, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Setting aside the above question, which property would one choose since the cost is free -- Springhill, Residence Inns, Fairfield, etc.
I've never actually stayed at the full service Marriott with status, so I can't comment on that one. I did stay once years ago in a standard room. It was fine. Very standard. Decent bar.

Otherwise, if you want a good breakfast, I'd stick with the Springhill or either Residence Inn.

If you're just stopping on your way to somewhere else, the Springhill is very close to the highway. It can get very busy on the weekends but they staff accordingly. Breakfast is replenished constantly.

If you're going to be spending time in Albany, the RI in East Greenbush would be an equally good choice. It's quick access to the downtown area, lots of parking, and the RI full breakfast.

(The RI near the airport is one of the old design - the property is in a series of separate buildings, around 8 suites per building, each suite with an exterior entrance. I personally like that design. The plus is that the breakfast area is huge. The negative is that it's not really close to anything.)

If you care less about breakfast, a good case could be made for the downtown Towneplace. It's very close to the "real" Albany dining/entertainment areas.
Old Sep 3, 11, 5:58 pm

FS Marriott - Great People - "Tired" Property

Just stayed at the Wolf Rd full service Marriott. I was really impressed with how 100% of the staff I encountered were professional and helpful. Congrats to whoever does the hiring and training. The property is a little long in the tooth. For example, they upgraded the thermostat in my room at some point but it was an old model air conditioner I think - the choices were "on = cold and loud" or "off = stuffy but quiet".

I should also point out that we arrived late but room service was still available. It was expensive but delicious. I'm okay paying more for good food, service and late hours.

On balance I'd stay there again. I also liked the location on Wolf, whichi is close to the airport and a wide variety of restaurants.Enjoy your trip!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: