FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, PA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1105654-lancaster-marriott-penn-square-pa-master-thread.html)

sica4 Jul 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, PA [Master Thread]

I wanted to write up a review for the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square as I haven’t seen one around here.

The building is a really nice, new structure built in downtown Lancaster. It was actually built around a historic building and part of the old building is in the interior of the lobby. There is a good restaurant with a good variety of food on the ground floor and one of the more popular hotel bars that I’ve seen on weeknights. It is in a good location and many different restaurants and bars are an easy walk five minute walk. The front desk even has a color-coded binder by distance that includes menus from almost all local restaurants. Parking is pretty steep at $14 so I would try and find a rate that includes parking if possible.

The check-in staff is very curious and greets me as a platinum member. I have always been upgraded to the concierge level after numerous stays. They are one of the seemingly few hotels that actually read your Marriott profile and provide the newspaper requested. At 19 stories the hotel is the tallest building in Lancaster and provides great views of the surround city and country side. The lounge is actually on the 18th floor and both 18 and 19 are concierge levels. The 19th floor has high ceilings (probably about 15 feet) and provides even better views of the city. I attached a photo of the corner room I’ve gotten a handful of times.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/134...arriott.th.jpg

The lounge has the basic food offerings and includes fruit, bagels, pastries, and eggs in the morning- it servers a hot appetizer, fruit, cheese, crackers, and packages of snacks in the evening. The thing that sets this lounge apart from others is the service (at least in the morning). The morning attendant D***** (not sure if I can share names?) in a word is outstanding. Always jovial and upbeat he makes an effort to get to know all of his guests. By the end of my first week there he was greeting me by name and getting my coffee for me when I would first walk in. I had come into a routine of getting a coffee, pastry, and piece of fruit each morning. One day I overslept and was running late. I dash into the lounge ready to rapidly grab some stuff to go and when he saw me and pointed to the table where he had already packaged my usual stuff ready to go! He said he hoped I wasn't late for anything too important and wished me a good day. Talk about service!

Lastly from what I can tell hotel has pretty low elite traffic compared to other properties so if you are in the area and are gold or platinum I would expect you would receive similar treatment. Even though I have now made this hotel a frequent stay I pretty much received this same treatment on my very first stay.

Pros:
New building with nice rooms
Staff is helpful and courteous
Great location for walking to nearby food and drink
Low elite volume

Cons:
Parking is expensive
Lounge food options are a little less than average

Safe travels all.

Edited to clarify this is Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

SkiAdcock Jul 15, 2010 9:56 am

Thank for the review! Lancaster Where? US or int'l?

Also, do you know if the lounge is open on the weekends & if not, if they provide breakfast certs?

And if you get a moment, you might want to write a letter to the GM of the property complimenting D******* in the exec lounge.

Cheers.

CMK10 Jul 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 14305373)

Judging by the photograph I think it's Lancaster, PA:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...t-penn-square/

sophiegirl Jul 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Also, do you know if the lounge is open on the weekends & if not, if they provide breakfast certs?

And if you get a moment, you might want to write a letter to the GM of the property complimenting D******* in the exec lounge.

Cheers.

Lancaster, PA.

Lounge was not open on weekends during any of my stays. They have always run a good S4B rate, (like $5 more) so I have just bought it - especially as we are usually here with other couples - who aren't Plat. (actually they often have a rate w/ breakfast + parking - they seem to do a big wedding business on the weekend)

Front desk is great, they do read profiles, and even processed the BOGO correctly.

Completely agree about D***** - but just to show the complete PITA's some people can be: the last time I was there, some nutbasket woman started screaming at D****..."I can get my own coffee"; " you are annoying talking so much" , on & on, completely over the top. Finally, Mr Sophie (at 6' 6") stood up and said "well you are annoying me with your screeching, so button it".

Drama in the lounge before 8AM, great.

When we got back to the hotel that evening, the front desk called us over. (Uh Oh) They told us they had to change our room, and handed over new keys. Which opened the double doors to the Presidential Suite. For 3 days.

Yep, pretty great staff.

megtravels Jul 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Nice review, thanks...i may have to try it one day....(NOT in summer, bet it is packed with bargain hunters!)^

and Sophie...THAT is a very funny story....i once defended an associate in a hotel someplace...i didn't get the keys to the kingdom though!!:rolleyes::cool:

Cargojon Jul 15, 2010 11:43 pm

I'll have to second the OP's sentiments. Although we live less than 1/2 hour from here, Mrs. CJ and I spent New Year's Eve here on a package deal that was quite nice and reasonably priced.

Agree the parking was expensive, fortunately it was included in our rate. Must say too the parking is an inconvenient distance from the actual hotel lobby. Not terrible, all undercover, but somewhat inconvenient nonetheless.

That aside, the place is great. Loved it, would stay there again if I ever had the chance to for some reason (wife throws me out of the house maybe? :D )

sica4 Jul 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Cheers.

Clarified in the OP now, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA.

Have yet to stay for a weekend, if/when I do I will let you know.

Already submitted one comment regarding him to hotel. Will write a nice letter regarding the entire hotel when I am finishing my business in PA.

megtravels Jul 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon (Post 14309326)
I'll have to second the OP's sentiments. Although we live less than 1/2 hour from here, Mrs. CJ and I spent New Year's Eve here on a package deal that was quite nice and reasonably priced.

Agree the parking was expensive, fortunately it was included in our rate. Must say too the parking is an inconvenient distance from the actual hotel lobby. Not terrible, all undercover, but somewhat inconvenient nonetheless.

That aside, the place is great. Loved it, would stay there again if I ever had the chance to for some reason (wife throws me out of the house maybe? :D )

or to get/stay OUT of the doghouse???

jdw7319 Oct 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Awesome Marriott in Lancaster, Pa

I completely agree with the consensus of the thread; this is an outstanding Marriott. My travels are currently limited to Eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Without question, this is the best, highest end Marriott property in the region. I stayed there last night and it still has the "newness" quality about it. The lobby area is very contemporary and the front desk service is excellent.

What especially stands out to me is the quality of the room service. They serve a hot pastry with every order as a "freebie" and it is to die for. The menu also boasts custom made cupcakes for only $3. I splurged for both the double chocolate and the red velvet choices. I rate the room service in Lancaster as the best I have experienced in the Marriott chain !!

The male attendent in the lounge takes his job very seriously and makes an outstanding effort to cheer up one's day.

I would rate this hotel at a "JW" quality level.

jjnv Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for the review. I am going to book 3 rooms for one night to celebrate my sister's bday. We will be there on a Saturday night. I am at gold level. Will I still get free breakfast when the lounge is closed?

DDFRDU Oct 15, 2010 9:27 pm

I sooo agree!

I agree with the OP. I had business in Harrisburg - which has no full service hotel options that are nice. Was concerned about driving 25 miles. But the short drive over from MDT was so worth it. As a GM, I had a corner king with a ton of space and the most comfortable sheets/bed! I too had a wonderful experience in both the beautiful lounge - the bisque with lump crab and corn sou flee was too die for! And my experience in the concierge lounge was exceptional. I met a colleague at the Harrisburg Hilton Downtown the next morning and it so old and dated and very depressing in comparison. The confirmed that I need to make the easy drive on my next trip to Harrisburg - so worth it!

sophiegirl Oct 16, 2010 5:35 am

Originally Posted by jjnv (Post 14954529)
Thanks for the review. I am going to book 3 rooms for one night to celebrate my sister's bday. We will be there on a Saturday night. I am at gold level. Will I still get free breakfast when the lounge is closed?

Not in my experience, even as a Plat. I would suggest booking a S4B rate, or even a package that includes parking AND breakfast...which would probably be a better deal than the breakfast certs...parking is $$$$ and is somewhat inconvenient. Our package included valet parking and brekkie for $11 more - can't beat it.

Will also say that the hotel can be quite busy on the weekend with weddings and other special events, so the restaurant can be rather crowded at times, with lots of kids.

There are a couple great diners not too far down the road - so that could be an option, too.

Have fun and happy birthday wishes!

Tyzing Jul 24, 2011 9:56 am

I just called ahead and they told me they upgraded my room for the night as a Plat member. I wonder what the chances are I could get the Pres for the night since it is my birthday and all :)

Tyzing Jul 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Marriott CS strikes gold again. Man do I love Marriott....as I speak I'm in the Presidential Suite in Lancaster....thank you so much guys!

IT IS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!! He did a far better than I could have but this is hands down the nicest room I've ever been in....its unfreaking real

SkiAdcock Jan 27, 2016 9:43 am

"Lancaster Historical Commission to consider Marriott expansion plans

The Lancaster Historical Commission will consider High Associates' plans to demolish three buildings on East King Street and build a 12-story, 105-room expansion of the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square at its meeting tonight.

The $25 million to $30 million proposal along the first block of East King, east of the Marriott, would feature a semi-open rooftop lounge facing north with exposure to the east and west; it would be protected by a roof to extend its use.

The front of the building would be built mostly of glass and aluminum to provide a light, open feeling. The bottom level would be built of brick and glass to anchor the building and to tie it in with nearby existing buildings.

The project would also extend Penn Square Grille in the Marriott east along East King, filling in what’s essentially an open setback, to provide for street-facing seating.

If the project goes through the approval process without problems, construction is expected to start in mid-2016 and finish around the end of 2017."

http://lancasteronline.com/news/loca...19fed2548.html

Cheers.