Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Currently Closed) W Retreat & Spa, Vieques, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Currently Closed) W Retreat & Spa, Vieques, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Spent six days at the W Vieques at the end of Feb. My impressions follow.

Cliff Notes

I’ve never declared this before, but I honestly think VQS will be the next “it” spot in the Caribbean. It’s got so much going for it, and is still relatively off the beaten path. Very easy to get to from the east coast and very different than the majority of Caribbean islands I’ve visited. Having been to beaches on every continent except Antarctica, the beaches in the National Park of VQS are in my top 5 behind the Whitsundays in Australia, the Maldives, and La Digue in the Seychelles. The big difference is VQS is very accessible for a long weekend from the US and doesn’t involve a journey halfway around the world (which isn’t always a bad thing).

Getting there

CO/UA EWR – SJU connecting to a CapeAir (9k) Cessna. A bit of a kerfuffle checking in at EWR due to the 9k segments, which the computer thought we had a paper ticket for, but it eventually got sorted out. My only minor issue is the CO flights don’t sync well with the 9k schedule. We ended-up spending 3 hours in SJU on the way there and 4 hours on the way back (we left for a couple hours and had lunch at the ESJ).

The flight on the Cessna is fine (although a bit hot). 8 pax max and they sort it out by weight. I’m pursuing my private pilot’s license, so it was fun to watch the operation in all my aerogeekdom glory.

The VQS airport is spectacular as there’s absolutely nothing to it. The highlight for me was a room labeled “TSA office” that was completely empty. The W facility at the airport is nice enough, although reports of open bar and food weren’t consistent with our experience. There were soft drinks, juice, water, and coffee laid out. There was also a bottle of rum, but no food.
We left the hotel at 9:15 for a 9:40 flight on the return. That’s the way air travel should be.

The van from the airport to the resort takes about 5 minutes. If the hotel wanted to improve their operation they’d call ahead to the front desk with the arrivals, to expedite check-in. Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived (2:30) but a phone call from the front desk on my cell at 4 informed us that our room was now available.

Platinum benefits

Checking-in was pretty standard. As a Platinum (on points) we were upgraded to an “oceanfront” room. No choice of amenity, we got the points. In lieu of no real on-property benefits for being a Platinum because of the resort fee they offer a 10% discount at the spa, which is ludicrous. It was also a non-starter as my wife was 7 months pregnant and when I rolled my eyes at the 10% spa offer the front desk manager offered us $10 credit at the market for half the days (so, $30). A bit weak, but better than nothing and I appreciated that they bent the rules for us without asking.
We also received two desserts in our room the first night, which I imagine was a Platinum benefit.

Rooms

Our oceanfront room was on the ground floor (3 story buildings), which was nice from a convenience aspect, but it also meant that we couldn’t leave the blinds open to get natural light if we wanted any sort of privacy. Our room was the closest to the lobby and I was a little worried about noise, but it was never an issue. There was a DJ one night, but he was done by 10p.
The rooms are large, clean, and well appointed. Other folks have covered them well. If there are any specific questions I’ll be happy to answer them.
Wi-fi in our room was strong enough to stream a basketball game on the watchESPN app.

F+B

Our first night we had supper in the living room / lobby bar. Relatively limited menu, but it was fine. We shared the mezze, a flat bread pizza (with chorizo and goat cheese) and the short-rib sliders. Nothing amazing, but consistently good and the prices (relative to being at a W) were very fair.

We ate in Mix twice. The first experience was wonderful with great service and wonderful food. The second time was a stark difference with clumsy and lazy service and while the food was fine, it wasn’t on par with our first night.
Service by the pool and in the living room was fine. We generally grabbed a quick bite in the mornings in the Café, which is a great option if you don’t feel like doing a full breakfast.

Service

Other folks have made a big issue of the service at the hotel. I was prepared for the worst, but am happy to say that we really didn’t have any issues. There is a notable difference between the expats and the local service, but it all blends together. You always have hits and misses, but that’s to be expected.

After a dozen or so stays at various Ws, I had my first ever “whatever whenever” experience by the pool. I went out for a run one morning and ended-up getting back to the hotel just as they were taking down the coffee service (I hate this about all Ws. Just put coffee makers in the room and stop aggravating guests). I thought I could power through the day without coffee but by mid-afternoon my head was throbbing. I asked one of the pool servers if they had ice coffee and he said no, but five minutes later he proudly presented me with an ice coffee. Awesome.

Pools / Beaches / Facilities

There’s two pools (more or less connected). Pictures from other reviews represent them well. If you’re feeling saucy you can rent a cabana by the pool for $500/day. The cabana comes with 4 apples (!), which I’d like to point out you can get for free in the gym.

There are two beaches, a family beach and an adult beach. The adult beach (whisper) rarely had more than a half dozen people on it at any given time. During the tour of the grounds, upon arrival, guests are informed that it’s a “clothing optional” beach, but no one ever took them up on it that we saw. It’s not really private and with the high number of kids at the resort I’m not really sure if anyone ever would feel comfortable with the “optional” part of the beach. The adults only isn’t at all enforced as families wander over from the other beach constantly and kids come down. Not a big issue, but if the hotel wants to truly have a clothing optional beach they should plan some more shrubbery and create a more private experience.

Throughout the resort there are tubs of water, which is nice. The gym is well maintained, clean, and has a nice selection of cardio, weights, and free weights.

There’s relatively little to no worthwhile snorkeling off the hotel beaches. We heard there’s great snorkeling on the south side of the island.

Throughout the hotel there are hammocks and there’s the fire pit just off the lobby. The hotel, as a whole is laid out very well, and is very comfortable without falling into the trap that so many Ws do of form over function.

The true appeal of Vieques

The best part of Vieques isn’t the W, its Vieques itself. It’s a wonderful island that’s very laid back. The beaches in the National Park are phenomenal and there’s hardly anyone on them. Fine white sand and perfect turquoise water everywhere you go. Rent a jeep (we did it through Island Car Rental) for 24 hours for just under $100. Driving around the island is simple, although the roads are very narrow and you have to keep an eye out for wild horses, dogs, and chickens. I can highly recommend Blue and Red beaches.
The other great part of the W is the concierge service. A lot of hotels try and keep you captive, but not at the W. They’re great about helping you make reservations and organizing transportation ($10 for 2, anywhere on the island).

We ate at Next Course (highly recommended), Bili (not bad), and El Quenepo (great food, spotty service). Duffy’s has a great beer selection and passable fish tacos for lunch. Do yourself a favor and get out of the W and explore the island.

Running

I’m a (recreational) distance runner and I go nuts when I’m confined to a treadmill. I ventured out for a run twice with marginal success. The first run I went east, towards Isabelle 2 (Arrested Development fans may find themselves calling this town Lucille 2), and happened to time it perfectly with the arrival of the ferry. Between the narrow roads, a line of about 50 cars for a gas station, and a mass of people going to the dock, and then leaving it, it was not one of my better runs and I wouldn’t suggest running east from the hotel (left as you leave the gate).

The better option is west (right), running past the airport. There’s a long jetty that’s about 4 miles from the hotel, which makes a good round-trip run. This direction is far less crowded (especially after the airport) so you don’t feel like you’re chancing death at every corner. The island is hilly, there’s not a lot of shade along the roads, and you always have a stiff sea breeze so be prepared for a solid workout.

There is a marking on the road (past the airport) that says “1,000 Pies.” I looked, but I didn’t see any pies.

Guests

Someone up-thread asked about the clientele at the hotel. 90% of the guests were from the north east (due to school holidays during the week we visited). There were a handful of obnoxious New Yorkers (I live here, so I'm allowed to say it, right?) but unfortunately you find them everywhere (which I don't get. If they think NY is so wonderful, why do they bother "slumming it" outside NY)?

The guests ranged from families with young kids (20%) to stylish 20 something jet-setters, to couples in their 80s. It’s the whole spectrum.
The guests transitioned during our last few nights away from families to loads of same-sex couples (probably 50% of the resort). Not sure if there was a group or if it just happened. On the weekend there was a marked increase in “weekenders” from San Juan.

Things that could be improved

Besides what I mentioned elsewhere, the grounds in front of our room were almost always flooded. There were these oddly spaced stepping stones, which were very awkward to walk on. It’s a very petty thing, but it’s annoying to get mud and grass all over your feet every time you want to walk to or from your room.

The resort fee. It’s stupid. I hate it. It’s completely unnecessary. Even though we were on points, we essentially were on a cash and points reservation. The resort fee ($65 + tax) adds no value and just builds resentment. Yes, they disclose it up-front, but they grasp at straws at trying to rationalize it.

No, this isn’t me being cheap, it’s me questioning the value of the money I’m spending (which most rational people do). When they tell you the resort fee covers “towels” all you want to do is laugh at the absurdity.

There’s really no added value that this hotel provides as part of the “resort fee” that you don’t get baked in to the room rates at many other resorts. Yes, you get free snorkeling equipment, but I’d much prefer to pay $10 for the day I wanted to use it. Sure the transport to and from the airport is a nice touch on the convenience scale, but fair market rate for that is $20 r/t.

The resort fee is absurd. It’s greed, pure and simple. If I was paying $500/night for a room (the going rate for rooms during the week we visited as per SPG.com) and they threw another $65/night on there simply because they can I’d… well, I wouldn’t ever do it. They would never get me as a (true) revenue guest, simply out of principle.

And no, you don’t earn points on the resort fee.

Feel free to ping me with any questions. I’ll edit this review at a later time with some photos.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by belynch
Spent six days at the W Vieques at the end of Feb. My impressions follow.
Superb review. Thank you!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
GREAT review and completely agreed on the property/Vieques. We had a wonderful stay there and really didn't have many issues with the service, sans a few miscues by the pool/MIX staff...but nothing egregious.

Regarding the beaches, I completely agree putting them on par with the best in the world. I actually think the beaches on nearby Culebra are slightly better (Zoni beach in particular and Flamingo beach in the morning, before anyone gets there)....but Culebra doesn't have a W, so kind of tough to compare. We loved going around the island on a jeep and as much as the property is great, it would be a shame not to venture out a few times
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Thanks for the great review. We have traveled to Vieques several times and stayed at some great B&B's but this trip we are staying at the W. I was wondering if anyone had seen or stayed in the Fab Garden Retreat, the Marvelous Ocean or the WOW suite (we are getting a 1 bedroom) and can tell us something about them or offer some advice for location of the building? Is it best to be upper floor or patio?

Thanks!

PS agree the beaches are the best.. esp. when one ventures into some that are off the road. We know some locals (own restaurants on the island) and have taken us to some beaches that are quite a car (4 wheel) trip but beautiful.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PLAT
Thumbs up

Long time reader, first post!

I just got back from the W on March 9th after a five night stay. It was an amazing trip! I stayed on points and am an SPG Gold and got automatically upgraded at check-in to a poolside room with a partial ocean view. This is the room you want if it's available. During the trip occupancy at the hotel was 40-50% according to management and the resort has a great quiet feeling. Both my girlfriend and I are in our mid-20's but most of the guests were in their 30's-50's. It is a great property and probably one of the nicest Starwood hotels I've stayed at. The pool is fantastic and the beach is very nice but I don't know I would recommend swimming in the ocean as it is a little rocky and due to it being on the Atlantic side of the island there were pretty large waves during our trip. We rented a Jeep onsite at Avis which is a must do as you don't want to be struck at the resort as there is so much to see on the island.

Isabel II is the closest town to the hotel and has gas and a couple small grocery stores. We did not eat in town as parts of it were a little sketchy. We felt much better eating every night in Esperanza which is a 15 minute drive from the hotel. We ate at Duffy's, Banana's, Next Course, Coconuts, and El Quenepo. Service was pretty good at all the restaurants but El Quenepo is a must. Their food and service was excellent and while pricey it was definitely worth it.

On to the beaches. We visited the west end of the island and it was pretty much a waste of time. Green beach just pales in comparison to what is offered on the south-east side of the island on the nature preserve at Secret, Blue, and Red beaches. It was rather breezy during out stay so our visits to Blue and Red beaches were short due to blowing sand. The beaches there seemed nice and large but were just too windy. Surprisingly most people were on these beaches instead of what my favorite; Secret Beach. We heard secret beach was great so we decided to check it out. The gravel road off of the main road is low maintenance so make sure you take it slow. Also theft on this beach is pretty well known and where we parked our cars there was broken glass on the ground so it seemed to have occurred recently. Make sure you leave your vehicles windows rolled down and unlocked and don't leave anything in the vehicles as it could possibly be stolen. Also when you're out swimming at secret beach don't leave your valuables close to the mangrove trees as apparently this is where the vandals hide and run out onto the beach and steal your backpacks etc. I never saw this but apparently it happened the week before. Best bet is don't bring anything valuable on your trips to the beach which of course can be difficult. Alright so secret beach is the best beach I have ever seen. It is probably a quarter mile long but is absolutely amazing. Great sand and the water is an amazing blue color. I will try to upload some photos later this week. It is in a small bay which blocks out almost all of the wind. My girlfriend and I thought it was the best beach on the island. During our three days on the beach there were probably only 5-15 people on the beach a time. At one point there were only us and another couple there so it was nice and quiet. We recommend renting beach chairs from Blackbeard sports at the W for about $10 a day. We got a cooler for $5 in Esperanza at the grocery store and beer was cheap. We did walk to Black beach just west of Esperanza and it was a 20 minute walk along a small river but the beach was very cool and the sand is of course a dark black color.

Like others have stated I also believe this island will be the next big thing. Most of the island was a naval base until 2003 so almost none of the island is commercialized except the W. There are wild horses, cats, and dogs running around everywhere it feels like no island we have ever visited. I highly recommend taking the Cape Air flight from San Juan to Vieques as it seemed like the easiest route and our tickets were $215 round-trip each. When you arrive at the W lounge at the airport in Vieques make sure to talk to the host at the desk about things to do on the island. He provided us with a map and was very helpful in pointing out different places while we waited for the Jeep to the hotel.

We did the mosquito bay (biobay) tour with abe's though the hotel and it was good overall. It was a full moon when we went so there wasn't a whole lot to see. Apparently abe's is the only tour that operates during a full moon as the others do not due to the fact that the moon is just too bright and you can't see the bio-luminescent organisms unless it is very dark. We paid $40 each and it was fun kayaking but there just wasn't much to see.

On to service. Overall service was excellent and everyone seemed very well trained at the W. We had no issues with service with the exception that one of the days our room wasn't cleaned so we called reception and they immediately sent someone to clean the room. We also had a cockroach in our room on the last night but that is to be expected on a tropical island and we didn't see any other insects so I assume this is an exception. The rooms were overall very clean and nicely appointed. We ate at the cafe on the island for breakfast daily and we ate at the Mix restaurant one night and had the Caribbean paella for two which was excellent. Drinks were spendy at the bar as they charged me $19 for a margarita one night. Pool side service was reasonable with a turkey sandwich and chips costing $14 and drinks $12-15. We purchased beer and drinks in town and everything was very reasonable. I think a six pack of local beer was like $4 and Heineken cans were $1 a piece.

Sorry to ramble on but I hope this review is helpful. I wouldn't normally want to visit a vacation spot more than once but I do plan to go back to Vieques at some point in the future. The W and the island are highly recommended! ^
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk northdakota, great review. I agree Vieques is a special place and the 'next' island.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA Premier Gold
Long time reader (wife "are you reading FT again?") and finally decided to post some comments after a recent trip to the W Resort in Vieques.

We stayed 4 nights in mid-June on a paid rate which was so relatively inexpensive (gov rate) that we couldnt justify the 80k SPG points + $260 in resort fees. Upon check-in, based on reading this forum, I requested the $10 Cafe credit as a Plat being charged the Resort Fee which included Internet. The front desk clerk did a quick check with his manager but it was approved. A side note on this is that it showed up as a $40 credit on our folio so we didnt necessarily have to charge at the Cafe.

We had reserved a pool view room but were upgraded to the WOW Suite at check-in. It was low season but this was a great upgrade as the room was Ocean Front at the far end of the resort where wedding are typically staged. The living room portion of the suite had a large living area with half bath, wet bar, TV, and patio. The bedroom had a king bed, desk, soaking tub, a rain style shower, and additional patio. It was a short walk from Bldg 1 back to the Living Room bar and Mixx Restaurant.

For our Plat amenity we took the breakfast which was good for use at the Cafe. I inquired about using the value for credit at the main restaurant but that was rejected. The Cafe had muffins, bagels, fruit, yogurt, and drinks which seemed adequate for a Continental breakfast offering.

On the resort we used the gym (perfect for a resort style gym), the pool (underwater music was humerous), and ate at Mixx. Food and drinks are expensive but I was prepared based on other reviews. The resort grounds are stunning and we would just sit outside of the Living Room near the firepit to relax at the end of each day. You can get caught up in the beauty of the resort but definitely visit Red Beach. We rented a car for a day from the Avis on-site for $70. We went to Red Beach, Secret Beach, and Blue Beach but strongly endorse Red as both the easiest to get to and the nicest.

Our only issues during the trip were two things not directly related to the resort. One evening we took a taxi to a restaurant that was closed (perhaps the hotel could have called in advance but thats a nit) and the other was Cape Air not loading our carry-on baggage onto the flight from VQS back to SJU! That nearly ruined our return trip as none of our carry-ons were labled. We eventually received our stuff via FedEx 2 days later.

Overall 2 thumbs up for the W Vieques and we will return whenever we can get away minus the kids (hotel is not for kids).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by agh382
We had reserved a pool view room but were upgraded to the WOW Suite at check-in. It was low season but this was a great upgrade as the room was Ocean Front at the far end of the resort where wedding are typically staged. The living room portion of the suite had a large living area with half bath, wet bar, TV, and patio. The bedroom had a king bed, desk, soaking tub, a rain style shower, and additional patio. It was a short walk from Bldg 1 back to the Living Room bar and Mixx Restaurant.
Do you have any photos of wow suite?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by mileageking
Do you have any photos of wow suite?
I do but FT does not seem to like the image links I used?? Newbie.

Last edited by agh382; Jul 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm Reason: Images not showing up
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by burnsy0118
You can find the information here.

www.vieques-island.com/geninfo.shtml#fajardo
Thanks for posting this link^

Link states that flights from Ceiba airport to Vieques are only $30.

Has anyone taken this flight? If so, what air service was it?

--
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:13 pm

Smile

This is a long delayed follow up to my review above. We had a great time and hope to return soon!

Poolside room (Gold upgrade)

Pools at the W

Beach at the W

Friend we made at an awesome beach on the southeast side of the island.

Another view of the same beach.

Another view

Other beach at the W

Black beach located on the south side in the middle of the island.

Beach not too far from the black beach. South middle of the island.

Horses on the northwest side of the island.

Pretty sweet huh? ^
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
For those who have been to either or both, which would better for 9-11 yr olds in terms of on site and off site activities - W Vieques or St. Regis Bahia?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:57 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Thanks, now I'm all hopped up about a trip to Vieques this winter ;-) Looks amazing. Wish I'd gone now during the half off (points) resort sale!!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Score8
For those who have been to either or both, which would better for 9-11 yr olds in terms of on site and off site activities - W Vieques or St. Regis Bahia?
I did not see that many kids at the W as it isn't the most kid friendly place. I can't speak for the St. Regis. The island seems more geared towards couples but others may disagree.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Score8

I was at the W Vieques over Christmas 2011 & 2012. My kids (15 & 17) love the hotel and island. The hotel had a very different vibe during Christmas 2012 compared to Christmas 2011. There were a ton of families with kids ranging from 10 through early teens. The vibe was more Westin than W. The hotel offered a kids club while we were there. The hotel's Living Room has a pool table and a nice bar area and fire pit. This area during the 2011 trip was mostly a hipster W crowd. The 2012 trip had some hipsters but a ton of younger teens hanging out.

The island and to some degree the hotel have a "Gay & Lesbian" flavor. Some people may not want that for their kids vacation. On both trips, my kids were able to hear straight amorous couples enjoying themselves at the hotel.

As for Vieques, my kids love the island. We rent a jeep and explore the island, go to many of the beaches off road. We snorkel, fish, hike, mountain bike, sea kayak etc. There is horseback riding. The W's pool is designed for sun seekers. The W beaches are there. The best beaches are off property. A must do is the Bio Bay. We loved kayaking there but make sure that the Lunar periods are dark when you go.

If you decide to go to Vieques, make your reservations for a jeep, tours etc well before you arrive. Otherwise, you may be SOL.

There are not a lot of food choices on Vieques. My kids eat most anything and are willing to try most anything. The island has no fast food. If your kids are picky eaters, it may be a challenge on Vieques.

We have gone to Belize, Bay Islands-Honduras and Mexico on multiple trips but my kids have asked me to buy a house on Vieques.

I can't say what the SR is like but my family loves Vieques and likes the W Vieques.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.