Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

[GONE] Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:41 pm
uxb
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Arrow [GONE] Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

I am at this hotel right now and I am in awe.

First, if you are interested in staying here, you need to take the Airport Limousine bus route 6018. It is 15000 ₩ ($13,-), and the most direct way to get here from Incheon Airport.

Anyway, as described above, this hotel is above a shopping and entertainment complex called D Cube City. The bell desk is the only desk at the entrance. They checked to see if I "belonged," then directed me to the Club Lounge on the 38th floor, which is reserved for PLT check-in. Otherwise, check-in is in the hotel lobby on the 41st floor.

At the Club Lounge you are greeted by two attendants, who already have all of your paperwork in hand. I was offered a drink on arrival, but opted to serve myself from the fully stocked fridge in the lounge. The lounge operates from 6:30 to 10:00 for breakfast and 17:30-19:30 for Evening Cocktails and Hors d'oeuvres.

During this stay, I was upgraded to a ridiculously amazing one bedroom suite with sweeping views of Seoul. Room access is by RFID card. Upon entrance to the room, I realised nothing worked because you had to put the key in the card holder in order to power everything. The suite has 1,5 WCs, a bar area (but no sink), a mini bar, in-room safe, fire extinguisher (in case you try to burn this place down), espresso and hot water machines, a separate living room w/ couch, flat panel LG HDTV, LG BLU-RAY player, and Yamaha sound system. There is a desk as well, and ample closet space throughout. There is another LG HDTV in the bedroom, sweet sleeper bed, and "idiot" controls/dimmers for the lights. Sliding doors separate living room from bedroom, and bedroom from WC. AC controls are touch based, and has a bunch of settings I didn't play with yet. The WCs have Kohler sinks and Toto toilets, but they are not washlet toilets. The bathtub is located on one side of the WC and has it's own TV. You have the option to pipe in speaker from the bedroom TV as well. The shower is frosted glass and typical for luxury Asian properties. The bath products all appear to be locally made Bliss products. A box inside carries all the essentials you need from shower caps and mouthwash to razors and toothbrushes. I assume that those are comp. The comp bottles of water are located in the master WC. About my only problem with this room are the blind controls for the master WC. They seem to clunk along for a good 30 secs both going down the rest of the way smoothly.

Anyway, it's only 15h here, but I am exhausted so I am gonna turn in. Will finish reporting when I experience the rest.

Last edited by uxb; Dec 9, 2011 at 5:42 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I am about to check out from my first stay here. I think I got the same suite upgrade as
UXB described in the post above, but I am not so enamoured with the hotel.
As described above, the bell desk directed me to the 38th floor Club Lounge to check in.
But when I got to 38, I did not see a lounge, nor are there any signs directing you to one.
So I headed off in the wrong direction, naturally. When I got to the end of the corridor,
I back-tracked, and eventually found the lounge. Recommendation to hotel: Put a sign
there!!!
Check-in was slow considering they had my folio open when I got there. The girl was
not going to take my luggage tag to send luggage to room until I prompted her.

The suite is nice, very modern, quite spacious. However, I find the toilet is very low -
it seems built for a toddler, not a North American adult.

During the night, I found the room noisy. Although on the 32nd floor, there are railway tracks
immediately outside, and I could hear every train passing by. In addition, there were high winds last
night, and the sound of them whistled through the room. I believe the windows, although thick, are
only single glazed, they would be better served if double paned.

Evening cocktails in the lounge had a nice selction of food ( 3 hot dishes, salad, cold cuts, bread/cheese, desserts. However, although it was not very crowded, they kept
running out of food, and were very slow in replacing the empty dishes. There were a
lot of staff, but they seemed to be running around without doing anything ( slow to replenish food items, slow to clear dishes from the table, no offers of help/drinks).

Breakfast in the lounge had a decent assortment ( good, but not great), surprisingly no
egg dishes, although there was dimsum, congee, and Miso soup, along with sausages
and hash browns. The sausages, kept under a warming lamp, were ice cold. I told
a server about this, he just shrugged.

My biggest beef with this property is the elevator service. There is no direct elevator
from your room to the ground - you must go room to 28th floor ( spa floor), 38th floor
( club lounge) , or 41th floor ( reception) and then transfer from one of these to the
express elevator going to the ground/lower floors. Time consuming, awkward and easy to
get lost until you get your bearings.

I did enjoy the attached shopping mall ( which you can access indoors through B1 level)
and food court therein.

But due to the inconvenient location, and the elevator issue, I don't think I will be back.

I also found the staff to be lacking in warmth, unusual for Asian properties.

Last edited by IluvSQ; Nov 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the reviews!

Was there an option of breakfast in a hotel restaurant instead of the lounge?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Thanks for the reviews!

I didn't ask. Was just there for onenight, the lounge was adequate.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:52 am
uxb
Original Poster

Property Report - Part 2

Sorry for the delay in posting this.

So, the hotel has its quirks. As IluvSQ pointed out, a major quirk is the elevator situation. Staying on the 37th floor, I had to go up to the 38th floor and cross over for the elevator going down to the ground floor. As a New Yorker, I am no stranger to changing elevators, but if you stay at this property for a good amount of time, then it could become bothersome.

Back to the lounge: the lounge offers PLTs a full breakfast, but this isn't really indicated unless you ask. They have a full, wide-ranging selection of western and Asian options. One thing that was missing, however, was the eggs. Basically, you have to ask your server for the chefs in the back to cook up your egg. They'll cook it any way you wish. That assumes, of course, that you are served. On my first morning at the property, I wasn't served at all. But I knew better for the second day I suppose... Evening cocktails was a zoo-like atmosphere. Everyone must has club lounge access at this property cos I was tripping over tonnes of children, who were flying about every which way. There was an okay selection of beers and a better selection of spirits. The desserts were amazing though.

Another feature at the lounge was the fact that you could borrow blu-ray titles for free. A lot of new releases on the list. I thought that was pretty damn awesome. However, when I went to try it out, it took a big of figuring out. Had to call up the engineer, who had to bring in two others to figure out how to get the DVD player to work.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay immensely and will soooooo return to this property if I am in Seoul again.

Here are some photos:

http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/...0City%20Hotel/

Password: flyertalk

Last edited by uxb; Dec 9, 2011 at 7:01 am
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:54 am
uxb
Original Poster

Thanks for the reviews!

There is no option to have breakfast in the restaurant instead of the club lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
how is the location for someone who is there only 3 days and wants to see the city? Is it easly accessible to public transportation?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:32 am
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daiseee
how is the location for someone who is there only 3 days and wants to see the city? Is it easly accessible to public transportation?
Most definitely. The subway is located downstairs near the entrance to D-Cube City. It's actually opposite the hotel's entrance. All of Seoul's major sites are accessible by subway. Also, there is a bank in the building at ground level that gives a great exchange rate for most major currencies, but they keep banker's hours.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
Most definitely. The subway is located downstairs near the entrance to D-Cube City. It's actually opposite the hotel's entrance. All of Seoul's major sites are accessible by subway. Also, there is a bank in the building at ground level that gives a great exchange rate for most major currencies, but they keep banker's hours.
Thanks, I actually ended up booking Westin Chosun. Looks pretty central.

BTW, has anyone done a DMZ tour? Worth it? I have so little time....
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:30 pm
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daiseee
Thanks, I actually ended up booking Westin Chosun. Looks pretty central.

BTW, has anyone done a DMZ tour? Worth it? I have so little time....
Did it, but make sure you book in advance as the tours fill up fast. Also, the third tunnel is gruelling physically, so be mindful.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:28 pm

They must have listened to feedback, because according to the website no children under the age of twelve are now allowed in the lounge. Also, Plats and suite guests may opt to have breakfast in the main restaurant Feast.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:35 pm
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view
They must have listened to feedback, because according to the website no children under the age of twelve are now allowed in the lounge. Also, Plats and suite guests may opt to have breakfast in the main restaurant Feast.
Nice.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Darn, wish I'd read this thread earlier - the lounge breakfast is somewhat disappointing. No salmon, western hot food was only bacon and sausage (and eggs to order), and only tiny bowls of mixed fruit on offer. Good fruit juice at least.

I also got upgraded to a suite as described above - possibly the same one. Everything was great except the shower leaked... the TV system is awesome, I plugged my phone into the HDMI port at the desk to put on a film, and the experience was great. The views were fantastic, and TV for the bath is always a nice touch.

I didn't find the lift changing a problem - however it's rather a slow experience.

Much, much preferred it to the Westin Chosun. Helps that it's also a short bus ride to my office. I'll go back.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:35 am

Breakfast for Plats at Feast restaurant

Thanks for the reviews!

So yes, breakfast is free for plats at the Feast restaurant - I was going to write "downstairs" but it's actually "upstairs"!

Very extensive breakfast - more selection than Westin Chosun. I didn't have breakfast at the lounge so can't comment.

Lounge offerings at night included the self-pour free alcohol and some hot items, fruits, cheeses, but they didn't seem to rotate selection much.

Elevators can be slow and had quite a wind tunnel effect.

Would stay here again - good value. Location is good if you're okay with taking the subway.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:58 am

Honeymoon Suite at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City

Hi folks,

Stayed at the Sheraton Seoul D Cube City last month and was upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite. My review with pictures and video can be found on my travel blog:

http://travel.bart.la/2012/03/07/hon...be-city-hotel/

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.