Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Brooklyn, New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL, B6
Lots of kinks still left to be worked out

So I have returned from a long weekend at the Sheraton Brooklyn with something of a trip report. I was traveling on a Starpoints Award, category 4 (10K per night, with 1K additional per night for Club Level services). I was traveling with my wife and two children, a four-month old and a two-year old. We stayed in a Club King on the 24th floor on Saturday and Sunday nights.

On a scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest), I would rank our overall satisfaction as a 2, with a caveat that this property can do a lot of small things to improve its functionality very quickly. I will separate out these issues into categories below, along with a summary of the resolution the property and SPG provided (or have been requested) for our troubles.

Location: This is a tricky question, because the location truly depends on (1) what kind of traveler you are, (2) your tolerance for urbanity and (3) what you're looking for during your stay - but isn't that true of all decisions when you choose a hotel in New York - or really any features in travel? Existential reflections aside, there are literally a dozen separate subway lines within two-three blocks of this hotel, and driving access was relatively simple with the aid of Google Maps and a well-honed mental compass. Sure, Fulton Mall is chintzy during the day and a ghost town at night, and sure, there is what appears to be a group home to the left of the hotel and construction in the other three directions, but a stiff spine and a scowl can be your best defense - even when pushing a carriage or wearing a Baby Bjorn.

Nevertheless, parking is $25 a day for self-service and $35 for valet. The hotel uses a lot around the corner on Gold St., and we did self-service (cash only). Very simple.

The neighborhoods nearby are also quite rich with restaurants, bars, churches, parks, etc. It helps to have a sense of where you are going before you depart, since as others have stated, the immediate area leaves something to be desired. We are walkers, however, so the immediate three-block area did not pose a barrier. Fort Greene Park is a few blocks north with a playground, and it is about a three-mile walk around the Navy Yard north to Williamsburg for hipsters and Brooklyn Brewery aficionados. The Brooklyn Bridge and its fantastic new park, at the base of Old Fulton St., is about a 20 minute walk to the east, as is Brooklyn Heights - which I would loosely compare (in looks, not necessarily amenities) to Boston's South End or perhaps Georgetown. To the immediate south is Boerum Hill, a neighborhood with art galleries on Atlantic Ave. and restaurants and bars on Smith St. You can continue down Smith into Carroll Gardens and westward into Park Slope towards Prospect Park and some more family friendly areas. In summary, I find the location adaptable for most peoples' needs, be it business (lots of corporate HQs in the immediate area round the hotel) or pleasure.

Staff: The staff is hit or miss. The bellman was very gracious and helpful. The check in staff still seem to be learning the system. Initially they told us that our Club Level King room was not yet ready (at 2 pm), then moments later placed us into an identical room. Nevertheless, they were responsive to our questions about services or quirks with the room or the service and Allan, the Assistant General Manager, was very accommodating and conciliatory with regard to our issues (more on that below).

Room (or, the "quirks"): The rooms are definitely small. We were in a Club King on the 24th floor. Now, as I mentioned, my wife and I were with a two-year old and a four month old, so with two pack-n-plays and a stroller, floor space was quickly at a premium. Nevertheless, the bones of the room are good - tasteful, minimalist earth tones, a comfortable bed and a functional bathroom. "Functional" in the sense of useful, but functional not in the sense of consistently functioning. Essentially, the toilet did not flush properly when we arrived and, over the course of less than 48 hours, would be repaired and clog again - with some usefulness in the interim - three (!) more times.

On to the air conditioning, which never fell below 76 degrees and topped out at 85 degrees on Sunday morning and 82 degrees on Monday morning. This, despite the blackout blinds being closed for the balance of our stay in an Northeastward-facing room.

And the alarm at 11:30 pm on Sunday evening? The mysterious maybe fire-alarm, maybe-not in the hallway that managed to awake my wife and I but, to add to its mystery, stopped before security could reach our floor following a call to the front desk (and also failed to make it into the overnight log for the manager's review in the morning).

You may ask, why didn't you move rooms? Well, the hotel was sold out on Saturday, and we were offered the opportunity to move on Sunday, although at that point the air conditioner and toilet had been inspected by engineering and repaired and all seemed right in the world. Plus, the traveling caravan that is a family of four featuring a toddler and an infant does not lend itself to an easy move, particularly if it looks like the problems have been resolved (and when the hotel is only a place to stay and catch a quick shower and breakfast, the hardy travel can endure some hiccups). In any case, I would avoid Room 2408 for the time being unless you are specifically assured that the room has been repaired and others have used it without complaint.

The Club Room (or, the "rub"): OK, so we redeemed an additional 1000 Starpoints per night in order to take advantage of the breakfast and hors d'ourves. Mistake. It seems that the Club Room is not open on weekends (which I have since been made aware is typically the case on most properties), and so we were provided our breakfast in the amorphous lobby bar area. Allan, the Asst. GM, explained to me that this operation was a third-party contractor, though I could see no line of demarcation. In summary, however, we had one good day, one bad day. The bad day was the first day, when we were shunted off to a sitting area with a pair of couches and arm chairs by the bar manager (blond woman), where we saw no signs of a waiter paying us any mind for 10-15 minutes (although the blond was serving later arrivals at the bar and engaging in some pretty substantial conversation). Now, as you may have gathered, I am no wilting flower, so after asking the obviously harried waiter for service, I placed my order at the bar with the aforementioned blond.

The whole premise of Club Room services is quick self-service, which is what you need with a precocious two-year old. When I made my reservations by phone and asked for the Club Room option specifically for this purpose, it would have been nice to know that the Club Rooms are not available on the weekend, saving some hassle and some Starpoints.

And of course, the Club menu at the lobby bar only provides certain breakfasts (pastries, oatmeal, fruit) as part of your room comp, and I ordered a plate of eggs and bacon without looking at the menu. Mistake! The bill was $18 - for eggs! And ham I didn't order! I can feed a family of four at the Dunkin' Donuts or a place of similar efficiency for less money and hassle - thereby defeating the purpose of the Club upgrade.

Other quirks: Free lobby wifi did not work; front desk was not helpful. I am not even sure they knew that this service was supposed to be available (the @Link service advertised prominently on the website).

Resolution(s), Past and Pending: So as I mentioned, Allan was very gracious about working to try to resolve our issues while we were guests and providing us with compensation when we checked out. Specifically, he comped the egg breakfast from morning #1 and refunded 5,000 Starpoints (so, 17,000 total for two nights) for the issues related to the toilet and the air conditioner in the room and the mysterious alarm. He provided the points on his own accord - I only wanted the breakfast charge removed.

Today, I have also lodged an additional complaint with SPG with regard to the Club upgrade. 2,000 additional Starpoints for one terrible breakfast, one good breakfast and no additional services is not the bill of goods I was sold with the upgrade. The first gentleman I spoke to on the SPG hotline offered 1,000 points, which I turned down. I was then forwarded to Corporate Services, which has put in a request to investigate and get back to me within 48 hours.

Conclusion: Some may read this as a bit harsh, but I am an optimist and see a silver lining. I think this will be a good property. It is well located. It has nice albeit small rooms (I note other reviewers here have said the Marriott nearby has larger rooms). Nice, although wayward if not well-intentioned, people work there. Nevertheless, it is in the throes of some severe growing pains and perhaps it should have waited until its originally advertised opening date of June 20 to begin doing business. Hopefully, these issues can be resolved shortly.

A note on selection: I had been booked first at the nearby Marriott Bkln. Bridge, and then at the Le Bleu in Park Slope, but when the opportunity arose with the early opening of this property to save some money and burn some points while maintaining a Brooklyn-based location (visiting a relative), I took it - warnings about new properties be damned. I think I might actually stay here again if the issues could be resolved - seriously. I'll be checking back here for updates, and will also post an update on the resolution for the Club Upgrade refund request.

I hope this was helpful, and happy travels from the GoBob's.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jay23
Checking in tonight for the first time for a 4 night stay. Already printed the map in case the Taxi guy does not know how to get me their from LGA.

I assume that I need to take the R train to go to Grand Central ?

Jay
You have a couple of options
  1. You can walk to either the Borough Hall or Nevins street subway stations and take a Manhattan bound 4 or 5 train to Grand Central.
  2. You can walk a block to the MANHATTAN BOUND 2/3 train station. The entrance is on Bridge Street.

Take the 2 or 3 train to next stop which is Borough Hall, be sure to sit in the rear of the train. At Borough Hall transfer (there is a short walkway between platforms) to the 4 or 5 train which will take you to Grand Central.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I dont quite understand that. People take luggage and larger items on the subway at all times of the day. I take luggage on the train when I depart.
It's not that I physically couldn't take the train. It's that I prefer not to. I am traveling on business and would rather use the cab ride for checking emails/working on documents, etc., as I do not leave work until after midnight or so on most nights.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by burnsy0118
It's been three days after my second stay at Sheraton Brooklyn and my stay credits & points have not been posted AGAIN!
Only stayed once and the stay posted the next day in my account. I was very surprised!! ^
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:51 pm

I am currently staying at this location now, 3 nights are done and one night to go. I am a Plat and always stay at SPG properties.

I can complain about this hotel but I am not going to and here is why.

Every SPG property in the city this week is like 300 - 450 a night, even the Four points behind Penn station but Sheraton Brooklyn is $150 a night. Since I pay out of my pocket the savings count.

Hotel sits 1 min from the subway station. I took trains at 5 in the morning and 10 PM at night and had no issues even though 5 in the morning I was the only person waiting for the train at the Hoyat street station.

The gym is brand new with all the new gears, i love it.

I leave in the morning to the city and come back at night so other then sleeping, taking a shower and hitting the gym I do not have any other needs.

I am going to take the subway to LGA in the morning (well train then bus) just to see how the ride is compared to taking a Taxi.

I am coming back in 2 weeks, again all the SPG hotels in the city is 300 and up and this hotel is 154$/night so I have booked it for another 4 nights.

OK one complain...I am SP Plat but got a regular tiny room.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, HILTON, MARRIOTT, SPG
Reply from Sheraton Brooklyn, New York - Executive Assistant

This is what I received by email today from the Sheraton Brooklyn, New York Executive Assistant xxx xxx about my complaint about the service and missing stay credits & points. Notice, no mention of any extra points or compensation for the troubles.

Please also note that she did attach my folio however my credit of $25/night per room for the lounge not being available was not on the folio, and check out the number of charges/credits for the internet! Wow. First the internet charge as Plat was supposed to be free, but I expected only one charge, not that many!

Folio Page 1

Folio Page 2

Folio Page 3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good Day,

I am writing in regards to your recent stay here at the Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel. I would truly like to thank you for choosing our hotel, and I hope your stay was overall an enjoyable one. I respect the value of all our guests, and I wish you had been shown an extra level of satisfaction during your visit. Should you choose to stay with us again in the future, and I certainly hope you do, I will make sure you have the Starwood experience you deserve!

Having said this, I would like to apologize for the trouble you encountered with our front desk staff. I have attached a copy of your folio from your previous stay. I have also reached out to Starwood on your behalf to make sure you have earned all the Star points for your stay. I will be sending you a follow-up email shortly, once I hear back from them.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies and moving forward, please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do to make your next trip to Brooklyn more enjoyable!

Thank you & have a great day!

xxx xxx

Executive Assistant

t - 718.855.1900 ex xxxx f - 917.281.5553

SHERATON BROOKLYN NEW YORK HOTEL

228 Duffield Street, Brooklyn New York 11201

sheratonbrooklyn.com

P please consider the environment before printing this email

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm Reason: Name and direct line deleted per FT policy
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
It's not that I physically couldn't take the train. It's that I prefer not to. I am traveling on business and would rather use the cab ride for checking emails/working on documents, etc., as I do not leave work until after midnight or so on most nights.
After midnight I would definitely cab it, even if you don't have luggage. You should be able to catch a cab quickly, and if your cabbie is agressive (which describes about 75% of them) you can do it in less than half an hour. The problem with the subway is the total door to door time - walking to the subway station, waiting for the subway, switching/waiting if you need to, walking to the hotel - which is the last thing I want after working such a long day. That beng said, heading into Manhattan in the morning I would probably take the subway even with luggage (1 roller bag & a laptop bag)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:06 pm

Quick update on my Memorial Day stay (post #46 above).

Plus: Got the 2,000 Starpoints spent for Club Room access credited back from SPG customer service after complaining about the lack of a Club Room on weekends.

Minus: Took a phone call last Tuesday, in which I was promised a resolution within 48-72 hours, and a follow-up SPG.com chat yesterday to get the credit.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:55 pm

Just got my AMEX and notice that i got charged twice for my stay. I booked through SPG.com and saw this

05/25/2010 Tue SHERATON BROOKLYN NEBROOKLYN 0 720.86

and now this

06/06/2010 Sun SHERATON BROOKLYN NEBROOKLYN 0 540.66

4 nights stay at 150 I think. I did not pick up the receipt when i left, time to call them.

Also no credit on spg yet.

Jay
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:29 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Well the good news is ...

I stayed there last weekend (6/11 to 6/13). My points credited. The staff was helpful. The location was good with the subway nearby.

BUT ...

The rooms are absurdly small. The rooms at the Brooklyn Marriott are much bigger. I've had bigger rooms at Sheratons in Europe including London.

No thought was given to parking. This is Brooklyn, not Manhattan. The Marriott managed to include a garage.

The Club Lounge was closed on weekends (OK, lounge open but no food).

IMHO, the hotel really should have been branded as a Four Points.

While it is old, I think the Sheraton LGA is a much better deal. I'll probably stay there or the Brooklyn Marriott in the future.

I would only consider this hotel if there was nothing else left in NYC even for more money. The rooms are just too small and the parking situation really annoyed me.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:44 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Are the suites at this property not open yet? They definitely have them but no one seems to be getting upgraded to them.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by jay23
Just got my AMEX and notice that i got charged twice for my stay. I booked through SPG.com and saw this

and now this

4 nights stay at 150 I think. I did not pick up the receipt when i left, time to call them.

Also no credit on spg yet.

Jay
Got my 540.66 credited.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:17 pm

This hotel billing department is one nightmare.

I got charged when I made the booking on spg.com

Then when I check out, I got charged again

After calling them they refunded the 540.66

But the invoice they gave me has 540.66 and not 720.86. The correct charge is 720.86 as I stayed for 4 nights, but the folio shows 3 nights for a total of 540.66

So what is the bad news. My employer will only reimburse 540.66 since that's what the invoice says. I have called and tried explaining to the girl at the reception that I do not have a issue with what I paid, all i want is a correct invoice and no luck. Now called and left a message with accounting.

To add insult to injury ...my nights have not been credited on SPG all most 15 days later.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:59 am

What is street parking like near this hotel? And can anyone compare it to the JFK sheraton as far as room size are concerned?

I like the JFK because you can park for free just behind the hotel and there's always room...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by chebraccia
What is street parking like near this hotel? And can anyone compare it to the JFK sheraton as far as room size are concerned?

I like the JFK because you can park for free just behind the hotel and there's always room...
Virtually nonexistent in the immediate area, though I suppose if you don't mind a five-ten minute walk you could park in the Boerum Hill or Fort Greene neighborhoods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.