FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Meridien Philadelphia [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1084413-le-meridien-philadelphia-master-thread.html)

jmgriffin Jun 20, 2014 9:26 am

Here's our review of the property from a stay a few weeks ago, if you're interested in viewing the full post with photo gallery, proper formatting etc.. you can find it here: Weekend Blitz - Le Méridien Philadelphia Hotel Review

-----------------------------------

We made a very last minute, overnight trip to Philadelphia a few weeks ago and needed a place to stay. We were looking for a place in the heart of the city (within walking distance to everything) and decided on Le Méridien Philadelphia.

BOOKING

I made a booking the day before check-in after planning our last minute trip to Philadelphia. When I looked on Monday, literally every hotel in the city was sold out. Nothing at Starwood, Hyatt or Marriott. Worried that our only option was going to be the airport hotels, I kept checking back a few times a day. By Tuesday, some availability opened up at a Hyatt property and I jumped on it using 12,000 Hyatt GP points. Still not satisfied, I kept checking back. On Friday, the day before check-in, I hopped on the SPG website and found the LM Philly to have availability. Either $405 for a standard or 12,000 Starpoints—that’s an easy one! I also noticed that, despite possibly being nearly sold out, many room types were available, including suites. I applied a Suite Night Award and a few hours later got an email that my SNA had been cancelled…? It implied that I cancelled it myself, but, when I went on SPG.com to reapply, it gave me the standard “cannot apply SNAs to this reservation.” Confused, I called the property and explained the situation. The front desk agent was extremely polite and said, “no problem, those SNAs can be difficult; I’ll just go ahead and block off the suite for you and the SNA will probably be applied shortly.” By the time I checked the app, I saw that he had, in fact, blocked off a “Superior suite, non-smoking room: King Bed, Non-smoking, 500-525 sq ft / 46-49 m², City View, Living Area, Free High-speed Internet, 42 Inch LCD TV.” In the end, the SNA was never deducted from my account.

CHECK-IN

We arrived at the hotel around 10am; our room clearly wasn’t ready and we were told that, because another SPG Platinum Guest was in room, it could be closer to 4pm. They also confirmed that we were in a suite for the 1-night stay. Oh well, no problem, we planned for that. We dropped our bags with the bellman and hit the road to explore the city. We got a call around 1pm that our room was ready.

The SPG Platinum amenity was either 500 Starpoints or a “continental” breakfast for 2. They explained that, because the LM doesn’t have a buffet, the Platinum amenity is a really good deal because you can order à la carte from the menu at Amuse, its restaurant.

I reserved a “Classic Non-smoking Room, Smoke-free • 21 Sq.m/225 Sq.ft – 26 Sq.m/275 Sq.ft • Stocked Refreshment Center • Free High-speed Internet • Contemporary Furnishings • 42 Inch LCD TV Remarks,” but we received a “Superior suite, non-smoking room: King Bed, Non-smoking, 500-525 sq ft / 46-49 m², City View, Living Area, Free High-speed Internet, 42 Inch LCD TV.”

• Classic Room: King or 2 Doubles - 225-300 sq ft – BOOKED
  • Deluxe Room: King or 2 Doubles - 260-300 sq ft
  • Executive Room - 260-300 sq ft
  • Superior Room - 275-325 sq ft
  • Superior Suite: King or 2 Doubles - 500-525 sq ft w/ living room – RECEIVED

In all, we ended up with a 4-tier upgrade, but the first 4 room categories are essentially the same size, just on higher floors with better views.

ROOM

Were put on the top (10th) floor. Interesting design; it appears that the hotel was once open air with balconies and has since been closed off with a roof?

http://weekendblitz.com/wp-content/u...16-600x450.jpg
View from the 10th floor looking down

The Superior Suite we were in had a great view facing the “LOVE” statue and Philadelphia City Hall. Entering the room, there is a bathroom with sliding door on the left. Then a small living room area to the left with the bedroom behind a dividing wall. Not that it’s necessary, but there is no door separating the living room and the bedroom. In place of a built-in closest, the room has a armoire.

We found this Le Méridien very cozy and pretty modern. I’ve stayed at a few LMs and this one is definitely on the more modern end of the spectrum. All around, we had a comfortable room and it was very up-to-date. Carpet is plush; walls appear freshly wallpaper-ed/painted. I typically prefer the added character at the LM when compared to a Westin. Also, it’s a steal that the LM Philly is 12k/night and the Westin, just around the corner is 16k/night.

BATHROOM

Like the room, the bathroom was fresh and clean. Subway tile in the shower. And, it’s shower-only, the most accurate test in determining if a hotel is newly renovated. I mean baths are so 300 BC to 2009 AD…

GYM

SERVICE

The service was fantastic. The concierge brought our bags up, asked about our stay, gave us tour of the room and asked if he could help with any recommendations. Over and above.

AMUSE RESTAURANT

Since we opted for the breakfast option as our Platinum amenity, it allowed us to enjoy complimentary breakfast at Amuse, Le Méridien Philadelphia’s on-site restaurant. Amuse doesn’t offer a breakfast buffet or even a “continental breakfast,” so the Platinum amenity typically entitles you to the “L’Express American Breakfast” ($18), but, in practice, you’re essentially given a $18 credit per person to order anything you wish.

After eyeing the TENDERLOIN STEAK & EGGS but being told it was a little tough, I went with the SMOKED SALMON + POACHED EGG ($18): avocado + brioche + crème fraîche + lyonnaise potatoes.

McCown went with the CAGE FREE & LOVING IT OMELET ($14), which includes a choice of 14+ ingredients including: Vermont white cheddar, chicken apple sausage, asparagus, country ham, etc…

The food was delicious and, again, the service was over and above superb.

BOTTOM LINE

Our stay at the Philadelphia Le Méridien was great. Although the property occupies a historical building, the decor and design is very modern inside. And, given that it will only run you 12k Starpoints/night vs 16k/night for the nearby Westin, it’s a great value, too.

---------------------------------
If you're interested in viewing the full post with photo gallery, proper formatting etc.. you can find it here: Weekend Blitz - Le Méridien Philadelphia Hotel Review

CMK10 Jul 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Here's my stay report, a lot of which will be a rehash of the excellent review jmgriffin wrote above mine.

Location: The hotel is on Broad Street a block north of City Hall and its subway stop and two blocks east of Suburban Station which has Regional Rail and the trolley. Two blocks north is the Race/Vine Broad Street stop and a few blocks to the east is Independence Hall and Reading Terminal Market and the Convention Center. Chinatown is also an easy walk from here. Location wise, you cannot do much better than this hotel.

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Flye...DSCN3367-L.jpg

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Flye...DSCN3366-L.jpg

Hotel: A beautiful older building which has been renovated to take advantage of its charms. The lobby is a little confusing at first as when you walk in, you're in the bar and the check in areas are to your back left. I love the design with its wood paneled bar but open flow in the check-in area. There's also a restaurant off the lobby I didn't visit.

Check-In: I was with my brother and we had a nice agent who recognized his Gold status and offered us a drink at the bar or 250 SPG points. We were explained how the Wifi worked and sent on our way, no complaints.

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Flye...DSCN3369-L.jpg

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Flye...DSCN3370-L.jpg

Room: We had a King room on the 8th floor. My brother accidentally booked a King instead of two doubles and sadly they were unable to switch us. Still, it was really nice room with a good TV, plenty of outlets near the bed (a very comfortable bed btw), a large bathroom with excellent standup shower and a closet/mini-bar combo in the corner. My only complaints were the only trash can is in the bathroom and that the desk chair is actually pretty uncomfortable.

Other: Note: sound proofing is bad. The hotel was hosting a wedding and in the room next to us were some of the party. They got back at 6:30 and started having an animated conversation, every word of which could be heard in our room. Not the hotel's fault per se, but very frustrating nonetheless.

Our rate was $189 and I think it was well worth it for the nice room, excellent service from everyone around and the location.

jmgriffin Nov 20, 2014 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 23272298)
Here's my stay report, a lot of which will be a rehash of the excellent review jmgriffin wrote above mine.

Excellent post. Also, I agree that this hotel is pretty much perfect location wise.

CMK10 Nov 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin (Post 23873045)
Excellent post. Also, I agree that this hotel is pretty much perfect location wise.

Why thank you! As was yours.

Songer5 Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

People keep commenting on the great location. What's around there exactly that people enjoy? Can you name a few places?

KENNECTED Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Songer5 (Post 23891191)
People keep commenting on the great location. What's around there exactly that people enjoy? Can you name a few places?

What do you like to do that would help.

This property is close to:
  • Reading Terminal Market & Chinatown
  • Convention Center
  • Museums
  • Located inside the CBD (for business travelers)
  • Quick walk to historic sites (for leisure travelers)
  • Just north of restaurants, shopping and entertainment venues on Broad St., Chestnut, and Rittenhouse Sq.
  • Close to public transportation

CMK10 Nov 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Exactly. You're steps away from City Hall which is an amazing building and also has a subway station. Easy walk to the Convention Center and Reading Terminal Market as well as a mile or so to Independence Hall and the Mint.

Plus, you're right by Suburban Station on SEPTA which means one stop to 30th Street Station and Amtrak plus the train to PHL.

Eujeanie Nov 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Are the Lyonnaise potatoes pictured above supposed to look like a chicken, or am I seeing things? :rolleyes:

Songer5 Nov 26, 2014 8:13 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 23891249)
What do you like to do that would help.

This property is close to:
  • Reading Terminal Market & Chinatown
  • Convention Center
  • Museums
  • Located inside the CBD (for business travelers)
  • Quick walk to historic sites (for leisure travelers)
  • Just north of restaurants, shopping and entertainment venues on Broad St., Chestnut, and Rittenhouse Sq.
  • Close to public transportation

Thank you for the list. I suppose your initial question is the right one to ask. For example, I live in Manhattan (as I think you do too). If someone asked me for a good hotel location, I wouldn't tell them Times Square or near the Empire State Building or Central Park. Those are fine for 10 minutes to take a photo, but not really where I'd want to spend most of my time if I were a visitor.

I'd probably opt for something in the Meatpacking District or Lower East Side or SoHo.

And perhaps relative to NYC, I view "close" as a 5 minute walk, not 30 minutes. Though I can see how anything in downtown Philly is better than the "Philadelphia" hotels that are really in Camden.

Thanks for the thoughts!

controller1 Nov 26, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Songer5 (Post 23900805)
Thank you for the list. I suppose your initial question is the right one to ask. For example, I live in Manhattan (as I think you do too). If someone asked me for a good hotel location, I wouldn't tell them Times Square or near the Empire State Building or Central Park. Those are fine for 10 minutes to take a photo, but not really where I'd want to spend most of my time if I were a visitor.

I'd probably opt for something in the Meatpacking District or Lower East Side or SoHo.

And perhaps relative to NYC, I view "close" as a 5 minute walk, not 30 minutes. Though I can see how anything in downtown Philly is better than the "Philadelphia" hotels that are really in Camden.

Thanks for the thoughts!

As a frequent visitor to, not resident of, NYC I would disagree. I do not go to NYC to spend most of my time in a hotel room. Therefore, I want a hotel location close to my activities such as Times Square and the Theatre District.

Yes, I know residents stay away from the Times Square area but for a visitor, why send them somewhere where they will be taking transportation wherever they go instead of just walking?

KENNECTED Nov 26, 2014 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Songer5 (Post 23900805)

Thanks for the thoughts!

As a native NYer I would tell a first time visitor, to stay in Times Square for "the experience". But would also take in their lifestyle and things they like to do.

Anyway, both, the Le Meridien and Westin are in good locations with easy access to the things I mentioned above.

Songer5 Nov 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 23901277)
As a frequent visitor to, not resident of, NYC I would disagree. I do not go to NYC to spend most of my time in a hotel room. Therefore, I want a hotel location close to my activities such as Times Square and the Theatre District.

Yes, I know residents stay away from the Times Square area but for a visitor, why send them somewhere where they will be taking transportation wherever they go instead of just walking?

Agree with your point completely, which is why I suggest SoHo, Village, and Meatpacking areas where they're more likely to spend their time. Again, it depends on what people enjoy about NYC. My friends who visit don't care for Times Square, Empire State, etc.

But this is straying from the Thread so, I'll just leave it at that.

airplanepeanuts Jun 7, 2015 12:53 pm

Nice hotel. Nice stay

I stayed here last weekend call the house points when the rate was $500. Even though I only redeemed one day before I was upgraded to a superior suite.

I chose the breakfast amenity which allows either continental breakfast or $16 discount per person for a maximum of two people.

I drove but did not use the valet since I know the secret parking spot that is only five dollars for 24 hours two blocks away.

The property has obviously been refurbished recently. Everything looks new and worked perfectly including the thermostat in the shower. I had a city facing view but I think there are some rooms that are internally facing which I would try to avoid if I was you. Just feels a bit claustrophobic sometimes.

KENNECTED Jun 7, 2015 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts (Post 24933102)
I stayed here last weekend call the house points when the rate was $500. Even though I only redeemed one day before I was upgraded to a superior suite.

I chose the breakfast amenity which allows either continental breakfast or $16 discount per person for a maximum of two people.

I drove but did not use the valet since I know the secret parking spot that is only five dollars for 24 hours two blocks away.

The property has obviously been refurbished recently. Everything looks new and worked perfectly including the thermostat in the shower. I had a city facing view but I think there are some rooms that are internally facing which I would try to avoid if I was you. Just feels a bit claustrophobic sometimes.

Pictures?

phlwookie Jun 7, 2015 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 24933113)
Pictures?

Though the hotel is in my home city, I have stayed here several times after some parties in the city and have gotten some of the internal-facing rooms. The windows on these rooms open to the internal atrium, and it's probably at least 30 feet from the window to the wall opposite. I don't have photos, but claustrophobia never crossed my mind when looking out.