Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2003, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Duplicate Post

[This message has been edited by NeoOfTheCRS (edited 09-12-2003).]
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I don't believe you'll get the breakfast, but let me know if you do. Personally, I'd have only got capp's as we loved heading out onto Via Venetto to get breakfast and rub shoulders w/ real Italians.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Recently stayed at the hotel on an award stay. Great facility in a great location. Was gold level but did not receive breakfast comp. Staff was excellent and extremely friendly. I would reccomend the hotel without equivocation. Enjoy you stay.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks. Did they recognize your gold status with access to the conceirge level? If so, how was it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DENROC:
Recently stayed at the hotel on an award stay. Great facility in a great location. Was gold level but did not receive breakfast comp. Staff was excellent and extremely friendly. I would reccomend the hotel without equivocation. Enjoy you stay. </font>
Old Sep 14, 2003, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Not aware that there is concierge here.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 2:59 pm

As of last Dec 2002 during our stay, they didn't have a concierge lounge.

However, they were able to honor the GLD benefits of free breakfast and room upgrade to Jr. Suite. They also gave us coupons for free drinks in the bar. This was on a paid stay, booked to their standard room.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
As a Platinum, I rec'd a bottle of champagne in the room, and some fruit. Otherwise, they did not recognize my status at all. There is a concierge "desk", but as I mentioned in another post, they weren't especially helpful or friendly.

There is no concierge lounge, so the only option for breakfast is in the dining room for approx $40. It looked good, but echoing the sentiments of another poster, I'd much rather wander down the street and get one of those little sandwiches ofwhich I eat at least 10 every time I go to Italy. They have a thin bread, with thinly sliced ham, mozz and tomatoes.... which they heat up so that the cheese starts to melt... Oh boy, I just got back last week, but I'm ready to return again!

Anyway, breakfast fantasy aside, and back to the hotel. It's very nice, and very well situated. Just don't expect to be greeted with palm branches as you walk in.

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Old Sep 19, 2003, 6:40 pm

So....dump the hopes of the lounge and see Roma. You will definitely take away memories from hitting the streets for breakfast. Be it the people you meet on the way or upon arrival, or the food you have, or the scenery, or whatever...don't spend it in the lounge (well, there isn't one anyway).

I probably shouldn't say this, but we had a nice evening one night. Took a couple glasses of wine up to the 7th floor and went out on the balcony. 7th floor is usually for parties and it was empty a few of the nights we were there. Remember to block the door open before you go on the balcony.

Found the concierge to be very friendly actually.

Free Internet access in the biz center.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:52 pm

I actually second the motion on forgoing the in-house breakfast once in a while and hitting the Roman pavement in the morning.

Nothing like being amongst the morning fervor of locals by Piazza Barberini (just down the road from the hotel) standing at the coffee bar sipping their cappuccinos and cornettos.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta 2.5MM&Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Platinum Emeritus
I am platinum; my husband and I stayed there for three nights last Thanksgiving using points. We were upgraded to a fantastic suite, sent a generous wine and cheese plate upon arrival, and given the outstanding breakfast buffet each morning. This was our second stay at this property. We think it is well located and the rooms are well appointed. Overall the staff are friendly. Hope you have as good an experience as we did!
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:18 pm

I agree 100% with the prior posts...skip the $40 hotel breakfast and venture out. There are two very nice breakfast options close by to the hotel.

Cafe de Paris is 3 blocks south of the Flora, across the via Veneto. There is another pastry/coffee/ice cream shop just around the corner from the hotel on via Sardegna which is just as good and even cheaper, although somewhat lacking in ambience.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 4:37 am

I'd actually put the Cafe de Paris more at 1 block away...maybe they've moved? Three blocks seems like it would be more like the Hard Rock vicinity. Irrelevant actually...either way it is a nice walk. Just don't make any sudden moves towards the US Embassy.

[This message has been edited by dingo (edited 09-22-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:57 pm

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
Second the opinions of most here : overall yes, the Flora is worth the award nights if you have them to spare. (We stayed 11-13 August this year).

Position in the city is superb, right across from the famous Harry's, just inside the walls, walking distance to many wonderful things, and in a very congenial area with good atmosphere. Agree about the Cafe de Paris (very short walk on opoosite side of Via Veneto) for breakfast - a nice change to yet another hotel breakfast.

IMHO, the hotel has a certain style, and is pleasant without being ostentatious (we stayed at a similar old grand dame property in Milan a week before, and found it nowhere near as pleasant, way too stuffy). The standard rooms aren't anything out of the ordinary, and the facilities of the property are actually quite limited, but you are paying for a premium position in Roma, and that is where the Cat 6 comes, I think.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:32 am

The Cafe Paris is nice but...we really enjoyed a place about a block away. Exit the hotel, take a left on to the sidewalk on Via Venetto, take your first left. About a half block down on your right there is a little cafe. Mrs. Dingo loves chocolate croissants but they didn't have them. We asked the lady at the register if they have them, she got up, went to the kitchen, cut open two croissants, filled them with chocolate, warmed them and brought them to us at the counter. Our only regret was that we didn't find this spot until three days before we were to leave, but we went back every day...at least once.

Harry's Bar...we went there like five times. By the third, the bartender knew our drinks and gave us a hard time about having something different. There was an older gentleman there, every day. He'd start outside about 5:00 at a table, then be inside when we'd go for our cocktails. He had at least one lady friend with him each time, but different ladies each time. He was part of the reason we went back...we wanted to see if he was there and what the lady looked like.

There's also a travel agency right around the corner from this hotel if you need to get any train tickets.

The Villa Borgese is about two blocks away; get a bottle of chianti and some cups from the bar...just sit and people watch.

Ciao.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:39 am

Because of persistance, I was able to book 3 nights in late May. I appreciate the tips others have provided on the hotel and its surroundings. I'll post my review in early June '04.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.