Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Alternate: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UserMark
Has anyone had success getting the platinum breakfast at the restaurant rather than the lounge, without paying an extra charge? The lounge breakfast does not sound that good.
No, they made us pay for breakfast. We did upgrade as much better than lounge and worth the price (usually I won't upgrade as I am frugal unss worth it)

Sheraton includes free breakfast but it wasn't nearly as good as Marriott.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay (Marriott CQ): 29 May - 30 May 2019

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay

30 Pitt St Sydney, NSW  2000, Australia

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay (Marriott CQ): 29 May - 30 May 2019 (38 Photos)

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay

Why Here?

In planning our travel to be at Oz Fest 16, my wife and I looked at both Hilton and MRS (Marriott/Ritz Carlton/Starwood) properties in Sydney's CBD. We had discussed going up to visit the Blue Mountains during midweek and potentially planned to spend a night up there. As a "just in case", I booked 1 night here so that we at least had a place to stay depending on how our planning progressed. Because we did not end up spending a night in either Katoomba or Wentworth Falls (not wanting to pack up, haul our bags up into the Blue Mountains, check in, hike around and do stuff, spend the night and then have to pack up again just to get back to Sydney), the Marriott CQ ended up being our bridge stay between the Sheraton and the Hilton.

The Reservation

Since the reservation was for 1 night, I elected to book a King room via marriott.com at the lowest available point total rate: 35,000 points - all other rooms were the same 35,000 points plus had a co-pay of $75AUD or (considerably) more. Here's a screen clip from the reservation e-mail:

marriotcqreservation.jpg

Given my Titanium status and because if we were staying at this property, we'd be there only one night (Wednesday), that the likelihood of an upgrade, at least by one category, seemed fairly high. That being said, after booking the points only reservation, I applied a SNA.

Note that this hotel, like others affiliated with American chains, charges, in this case, a 2% fee for credit card usage:

1_creditcardservicefee.jpg

The Property / Its Location

FWIW, the hotel has a triangular shape/configuration so that different faces of the triangle provide different views of Sydney.

As noted in the Sydney properties thread as well as in the property's thread, this hotel is the Marriott that's closest to the Circular Quay Wharfs, cruise ship departure/arrival and the Sydney Opera House. Less than a block from the Circular Quay as well as the CQ metro station and ferries and harbor taxis, this section of downtown Sydney is really well connected.

A few statistics from the hotel's website:

• 543 Rooms, 52 suites
  • Hotel was built in 1989
  • Rooms were renovated in 2011

Here are a few external shots of the hotel from different vantages:

IMGP8590.JPG

IMGP8591.JPG

IMGP8624.JPG

IMGP8625.JPG

Quite likely early in its life as a hotel, this property offered its guests a grand set of views of the local CBD, the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and the waterfront and hills of North Sydney. Unfortunately, many of those views are quickly disappearing.

Check In

Having actually done our day trip to the Blue Mountains the day earlier, we took our leave from the SOTP (our primary base for Oz Fest) mid morning to figure out how we wanted to navigate going from there to the Marriott CQ with our luggage (Metro, bus, cab, walk, etc.). We quickly found out that many of the buses going north along Elizabeth Street simply didn't go as far as Circular Quay due to road closures and reroutings because of Vivid Sydney and downtown construction.

Once we got to the lobby of the hotel, I was able to check in, welcomed as a Titanium member and was told that we'd been upgraded to a suite. Looking back now into my e-mail, I located a message from Marriott confirming the my SNA request was fulfilled so that we would receive a suite upgrade. That being said, the front desk agent did _not_ note that the upgrade was due to the SNA. Also, the agent said that the room was not yet ready but that he would provide card keys for us to use the Early Arrivals Lounge (EAL).

IMGP8587.JPG

At that point, we decided that we didn't need to use the EAL and asked them to contact us when the room was ready. Now, looking back, I kind of wish that I'd at least went up to the 6th floor to check out the EAL.

Probably hiking around Taylors Bay did I get a call that the room was ready. After a bit more wandering, my wife figured out which bus departing Taronga Zoo would get us closest to SOTP so that, with our confirmed 4 PM late check out, we could then clean up, finish packing, grab a drink from the Sheraton Club, take our bags, complete our check out and then proceed back to the Marriott CQ.

Room

As shown below, we received room 1823. This turned out to be an Opera View Suite - which has a view toward the Opera House and a partial harbor view and on an upper (high) floor.

IMGP8569.JPG

IMGP8549.JPG

IMGP8588.JPG

Given that there are 32 floors in this hotel, I suspect that the 18th floor is quite likely the lowest upper floor that has _any_ view to the Opera House and very minimal views of the main harbor ship channel (as is shown above and below).

The 1 king bed for 1823 is set in its own room with no windows:

IMGP8552.JPG

IMGP8553.JPG

One thing to note is that the bed was/is made without a top sheet - basically all you have is the sheet that is on the mattress and then a duvet/comforter. If you prefer/desire a top sheet, let the hotel know in a communication prior to arrival, let the front desk know at check in and/or check for a top sheet when you get to the room and call Housekeeping to get one added.

Here's the bedroom's closet, expensivist stocked mini-fridge and snack drawer in the bedroom's dresser/chest of drawers:

IMGP8556.JPG

IMGP8554.JPG

IMGP8555.JPG

Within the bedroom is the bathroom for the suite with both separate shower and separate bathtub:

IMGP8558.JPG

IMGP8561.JPG

IMGP8560.JPG

IMGP8562.JPG

IMGP8563.JPG

The bedroom itself is separated by a pair of pocket doors (that didn't properly close) from the living room/sitting area:

IMGP8564.JPG

For myself, the living room/sitting area is probably the primary draw of the room given its views:

IMGP8565.JPG

IMGP8566.JPG

Unfortunately for this hotel, given construction that will remove more and more views, one of the dominant features out a given window will be these construction cranes:

IMGP8568.JPG

IMGP8573.JPG

One challenge of this hotel at this time is the lack of USB charging options. I brought a single power converter on the trip but with multiple devices, having separate USB plugs for recharging is now rather important - especially for two (or more) people each with phones, separate cameras, tablets, etc.

Back of the door floor layout map:

IMGP8574.JPG

Not shown are some photos of a patch of mildew growing on the ceiling of the bedroom toward the entry pocket doors - the cave-like feeling of the bedroom without windows and with the bathroom also part of the bedroom, dealing with the excessive humidity is clearly an issue.

FWIW, here are a few shots taken before and during sunrise:

IMGP8648.JPG

IMGP8650.JPG

IMGP8649.JPG

IMGP8652.JPG

IMGP8654.JPG

Concierge/Executive Lounge

Here are the hours and dress code (unfortunately not enforced during our stay) for the lounge:

IMGP8655.JPG

Here's a panoramic stitched view of the lounge from close to where the door the staff enter from the kitchen:

IMGP8581_stitch.jpg

After having just spent 5 nights at the SOTP, while we missed the view from the Sheraton Club of Hyde Park and eastern suburbs (versus the 2nd floor view across Pitt Street), the expanse of the Concierge/Executive Lounge and the ability to self serve drinks was one that we particularly relished:

IMGP8576.JPG

Additional shots of the Lounge:

IMGP8577.JPG

IMGP8578.JPG

IMGP8579.JPG

IMGP8585.JPG

Going through my photographs, I don't have any shots of the hors d'oeuvres, desserts or breakfast (just the snacks set out during the afternoon prior to hors d'oeuvres) - this is probably becuase of the more competitive effort that was required to get food as well as not wanting to take a bunch of photos with folks dominating the scenes. Personally, both I and my wife were fine dealing with the other guests but I suspect that, if your idea of spending time in the lounge was a bit more genteel, you might not be as happy.

Overall

For downtown Sydney, Marriott, now combined with the former Starwood properties, has a significant presence. As a long time stalwart outpost of Marriott in Sydney, the Marriott CQ has evolved as evidenced from the posts of the hotel's thread that start in late 2001, discuss its transition as a then Renaissance flagged hotel before becoming and being named as a Marriott.

Given its location, the Marriott CQ provides a huge benefit to Marriott's customers and clientele who want to be in the harbor and Circular Quay. If you're interested in the Rocks, the Harbour Bridge and Barangaroo Reserve as well as the Observatory, other hotels such as the Park Hyatt and Pier One might be of greater interest. However, Marriott CQ is still fairly close by as well as even closer to the rest of Sydney's CBD, the Opera House and really the core waterfront business areas.

With all of this, I would have liked to have tried the breakfast buffet downstairs as well as getting a chance to see what the Early Arrivals Lounge had to offer. Additionally, while I was grateful for our upgrade to a suite, I wasn't happy about the cavelike feeling of the bedroom, the bed not having a top sheet and the humidity/mildew problems that I encountered. Also, without built in or lamp-integrated USB plugs, we were competing for the use of my power converter to charge our different handheld electronics.

I know that my wife really liked the proximity of the hotel to Circular Quay and all that was going on there for Vivid Sydney as well as the centrality of getting access to all types of public mass transit. She indicated that she would be happy returning to the Marriott CQ. At this point, I'm still divided, probably because of the room and cavelike feel plus the mildew.

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay (Marriott CQ): 29 May - 30 May 2019

Would you like to write a review on the Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:27 pm

Just came back from a stay at this place last week. The hotel looks fantastic, and the location is hard to beat, including the view of the opera house. My only issue was the staff in the lounge. When they say that children are only allowed till 6:30pm, they're not messing around. If you are just a few minutes late in leaving, they'll repeatedly come over and harass you till you leave. I mentioned this to the manager, who gave me some bogus explanation that they start serving alcohol at 6:30. Actually, nothing really happens at 6:30, the wine and beer are there from 5:30, and it's only children under 12 who have to leave at 6:30. I also did try the breakfast at the restaurant rather than at the lounge for one day, and I cannot recommend it. It was mostly the same things as in the lounge, with just a few additional items. It's certainly not worth the extra 20AUD that they charge for this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by DELee
For downtown Sydney, Marriott, now combined with the former Starwood properties, has a significant presence. As a long time stalwart outpost of Marriott in Sydney, the Marriott CQ has evolved as evidenced from the posts of the hotel's thread that start in late 2001, discuss its transition as a then Renaissance flagged hotel before becoming and being named as a Marriott.Given its location, the Marriott CQ provides a huge benefit to Marriott's customers and clientele who want to be in the harbor and Circular Quay. If you're interested in the Rocks, the Harbour Bridge and Barangaroo Reserve as well as the Observatory, other hotels such as the Park Hyatt and Pier One might be of greater interest. However, Marriott CQ is still fairly close by as well as even closer to the rest of Sydney's CBD, the Opera House and really the core waterfront business areas.With all of this, I would have liked to have tried the breakfast buffet downstairs as well as getting a chance to see what the Early Arrivals Lounge had to offer. Additionally, while I was grateful for our upgrade to a suite, I wasn't happy about the cavelike feeling of the bedroom, the bed not having a top sheet and the humidity/mildew problems that I encountered. Also, without built in or lamp-integrated USB plugs, we were competing for the use of my power converter to charge our different handheld electronics.I know that my wife really liked the proximity of the hotel to Circular Quay and all that was going on there for Vivid Sydney as well as the centrality of getting access to all types of public mass transit. She indicated that she would be happy returning to the Marriott CQ. At this point, I'm still divided, probably because of the room and cavelike feel plus the mildew.
I think your review is spot on for room 1823 ("opera view suite").

We are currently having a quite similar experience with our stay here. We also used points and SNA and had received a confirmed upgrade to the "opera view suite" and are also quite dissapointed with the room. There seems to be a pattern with points booking/SNA and receiving 1823.

As you already mentioned I also suspect that this is the lowest level, which offers a "view" of the opera. Based on the room descriptions/pictures it also seems like the same room on the levels below would be the "junior suite". To me it feels quite disingenuous to designate this room as suite and not merely as a "junior suite with opera view" given that the room itself is quite dissaponting. The bathroom reminds me of a US Residence Inn/Townsuites type of bathroom, complete with the shallow and small bathtub. The bedroom has no windows and natural light and the windows itself are not ideally placed to actually enjoy a view.

Given all that I would not recommend to use any SNA at this property and, if assigned room 1823, at least ask for a higher level room as it seems just too low to actually see anything from the Harbour.

In general I actually like the lounge and the location is perfect, but we would probably try out the pier one next time, because the room itself is just so underwhelming.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:23 pm

Marriott Sydney Harbour Charging for Free Platinum Upgrade

Checked into the Marriott Sydney Harbour for 3 nights. Agent asked if I wanted an upgrade to a room with a view of the bridge.

Sure, that sounds nice, thank you.

That'll be $400, he says.

Oh, I'm a platinum, shouldn't it be free?

Oh no, he says, it is the platinum upgrade, but we charge $400 for it.

I ask to talk to the manager. I confirm they have a standard room with a view available. But it requires a $400 fee for the "free" platinum upgrade. I pointed out that this is directly contradictory to the upgrade policy. The manager apologies but indicates they've been told that "no one gets a free upgrade under any circumstance".

I took a look at the policy again, and I'm pretty sure this is directly contradictory. It's not even like they have rooms on the site but are playing inventory games, they offered the upgrade and then tried to charge.

I'd appreciate pointers on whom to contact to get this resolved.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Assuming you don't have Ambassador service, I'd say Marriott Customer Service/Marriott Rewards Customer Service.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Checked into the Marriott Sydney Harbour for 3 nights. Agent asked if I wanted an upgrade to a room with a view of the bridge.

Sure, that sounds nice, thank you.

That'll be $400, he says.
<snip>
New Years eve in Sydney with a view of the bridge: a different game.
Little surprised the room is even available
dayone, ExArkie and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:16 am

This sounds ridiculous. Either you should get the upgrade (as Plat / Titanium) or not (because the rooms are blocked for paying customer only). I've run into cases where certain rooms (like special rooms for NYE) are blocked but I've never been offered an upgrade to that room as an elite benefit. It almost feels insulting to do so.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Whilst not condoning the offer, how good is the view of the bridge? I have paid over 800 AUD the last couple of years for a boat cruise/view of the bridge on NYE, 400 might actually be a cost effective way of watching the fireworks without the mayhem of the streets on NYE..
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The upgrade is "one-level". I'd wager they class a bridge view as > 1 level.

It wouldn't surprise me if the fireworks get cancelled...
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

The upgrade is defined as best available room, including select suites.

Though for NYE, with a view of the bridge, I might tend to agree with the hotel that it is not a free upgrade. Unless the check in is rather late on the 31st when it is clear they will not sell it.
Fizzer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pota
I think your review is spot on for room 1823 ("opera view suite").

We are currently having a quite similar experience with our stay here. We also used points and SNA and had received a confirmed upgrade to the "opera view suite" and are also quite dissapointed with the room. There seems to be a pattern with points booking/SNA and receiving 1823...
Just to disrupt that pattern, we checked out of this hotel today. Booked with points, applied an SNA, and was given a 1-bedroom Spa Suite (room 3211 - top floor) with a view of the Harbour Bridge, not the Opera House.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago (right after the merger) and as a top tier elite, was upgraded to a room with a view of the bridge. It was one of the tiniest rooms I've ever had (maybe 200 sq ft), and if I pressed my face against the window and looked to the right, I could just see the bridge.

I read this morning that the fireworks have been OKed.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Hi -
Do we have any updates on upgrades here? Was the above $400 for NYE only? I am looking at an early April visit and the hotel seems wide open.
Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:55 am

any recent stays? Comments about the noise from construction on Pitts street? Tripadvisor reviews are pretty bad as of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.