Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort and The Romanos, Costa Navarino, Greece [Master Thread]

Westin Resort and The Romanos, Costa Navarino, Greece [Master Thread]

Old May 2, 2010, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Arrow Westin Resort and The Romanos, Costa Navarino, Greece [Master Thread]

The Romanos, Costa Navarino, Greece, opens May 20, 2010. NOW OPEN!
The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino, opens June 4, 2010 July 1, 2010.

Both are Cat5 properties.

Like all the other Greek properties outside of Athens, these will be seasonal resorts. I'll guess that their season will be mid-May through sometime in October.

The Costa Navarino development is more than just these two Starwood hotels. They have a Facebook page where I found this marketing video. They also have their own website with additional info about what is where and what is planned. Phase 2 calls for a hotel at "Navarino Blue" -- a beach area closer to the town of Kalamata -- but I see no indication yet about whether this will also be a Starwood property.

Since the Westin and the Romanos are so closely related, I'm suggesting that they share a Master Thread.

Drive time from ATH is estimated at around 4 1/2 hours. There are 1 or 2 flights per day from ATH to Kalamata airport which is about 45 minutes away.

Last edited by sc flier; Jun 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm
Old May 4, 2010, 2:18 am

We are booked for 10 days at this property in August. Looks like a great property and we are looking forward to it. We have stayed at all of Starwood properties in Greece and so far Blue Palace is our favorite.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:41 am
Original Poster

There are no photos of regular rooms on the Photos page or on the Accommodations page of the website for the Romanos. All the room photos there are of suites. But only 10% (32) of the rooms are suites.

Here are Starwood's photos of a regular room:

Premium Room Bedroom

Deluxe Room Bathroom

Superior Room Bathroom
? (I know that they have a photo for this, but I can't find a public link to it.)

Model of the Master Plan from a French blog. (I'm not sure if this is the Romanos or both hotels. I'm thinking maybe it's Romanos on the left and Westin on the right.):

Last edited by sc flier; May 4, 2010 at 10:50 am
Old May 17, 2010, 6:03 am
Company Representative

Starwood Costa Navarino

Dear All,

We are very happy to see that this thread has begun on flyer talk and I would like to take the opportunity to confirm the information regarding the resort.

Navarino Dunes will be home to The Westin Resort Costa Navarino and The Romanos, a Luxury Collection Resort which opens this Thursday. The other hotels in Navarino Blue will not be managed by Starwood.

Both Starwood Hotels are in the same resort and will share the resort's facilities including a 5000m2 conference centre, 1km of Sandy Beach and various dining and leisure options including dedicated childrens facilities.

The drive from Athens is just under 4 hours, we recommend that those driving from Athens take the route via Kyparissia. We have been very fortunate as the route from Athens as seen significant improvement this year with a new tunnel and new dual carriageway. Aegean Airways are also offering two daily flights from Athens to Kalamata (KLX), the airport as indicated above is just 45 minutes from the resort.

I would also like to confirm that the above photographs are of our Deluxe Rooms which are our standard rooms.

Finally to ilchib - we very much look forward to welcoming you to Costa Navarino and if there is anything we can organise for you in advance of your arrival please let me know.

Kind regards,

Leah Lenihan
On behalf of Starwood Resorts Costa Navarino Greece
Old May 19, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: Starwood
Romanos vs. Westin

I can't wait to hear more about these two hotels. The Romanos opens tomorrow, I believe.

Does anyone have a sense as to the difference in the quality of the two hotels?
Old May 19, 2010, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FlyerTalk, StarwoodCostaNavarino!

It's always great to have a good representative of individual hotels on FT, and this is especially true for these two new resorts in a relatively unfamiliar destination.

I know that several FTers have expressed a lot of interest in these hotels, so any insight that you can offer about the target market of each of them might be helpful. Would you be able to say how they compare to Blue Palace?

Can you give any details about the room assignments for the various award levels (standard awards, specialty rooms, etc.) Obviously, there is a lot of interest in being able to confirm an award room with a private pool.

For paid stays, do you know if you often offer the SPG50 rates (which are only bookable by phone)?

Best of luck with the Grand Opening!
Old May 19, 2010, 10:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's great to see you participating, StarwoodCostaNavarino, all the more because I have a reservation come fall. I'll be eagerly reading every post here, and very interested to learn what side of the property folks prefer.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:26 am
Company Representative

The Romanos Resort -V- The Westin Resort

Dear all,

First of all I am very proud to announce that The Romanos, a Luxury Collection opened today and our first guests have begun to check in - a very proud moment for everyone involved in this amazing project.

I notice several of you have posted questions with regards to the difference in the quality of the hotels. I would first of all like to reassure all of you that both hotels have been built to the highest five star standards. Both hotels feature rooms with individual infinity pools, suites and rooms with unobstructed views of the Ionian Sea.

In order to ensure that we meet the high standards of service that Starwood Guests are accustomed to, each hotel as a slightly different target market so as to cater appropriately to the different types of holiday people are looking for when they come to Costa Navarino.

The Westin Resort features more family friendly options with family rooms, interconnecting rooms and the possibility of 3 rooms under "1 key". The Westin Resort also has a kids pool and a dedicated kids area in Morias our all day dining restaurant - at breakfast children even have a dedicated waffle and pancake station. This is very much in keeping with the philosophy of the Westin Kids Club. For this summer we have a special family offer with 50% off the kids room and kids under 12 even eat free from our special kids menu throughout your stay.

The Romanos, a Luxury Collection Resort offers larger rooms (from 43m2) as well as the signature Luxury Collection Concierge so as to ensure you experience the destination to the full. The Romanos Resort has been built with the individual design traits that reflect the surroundings, providing a unique opportunity should you wish to truly experience the richness of the local culture. Traditional Greek cuisine is served at Eleon, with fish caught daily by local fisherman.

I hope that this helps to clear up any confusion you may have with regard to the hotels.Please don't hesitate to continue to post comments or questions and I will endeavor to reply to you as soon as possible.

Leah Lenihan
on behalf of Starwood Hotels Costa Navarino
Old May 20, 2010, 7:48 am
Company Representative

To SC Flier,

As mentioned, similar to Blue Palace, we have 131 rooms with Infinity pools at The Westin Resort and 128 rooms with infinity pools at The Romanos Resort. It has previously been indicated that both properties are Category 5 (12,000-15,000 points) and we will of course offer upgrades upon availability to SPG Gold & Platinum Members.

We are taking part in SPG Free Weekends at the moment - register by June 30th and for every three stays at SPG properties between May 1 and July 31, 2010, you'll earn a Free Weekend Night Award redeemable through December 19, 2010.

We are offering SPG50 rates, (in case anyone is wondering this is a special offer for members of Starwood Preferred Guest - when they book this rate plan, one room is booked at rack rate and they can 50% off the second room.) As SC Flier Mentioned this can only be booked over the phone.

Kind regards,
Leah Lenihan
Old May 20, 2010, 8:06 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
It is very nice to see the property so proactive in reaching out. Early this year, folks from management were very helpful in setting up my C&P res before spg.com had this functionality turned on. Looking forward to our stay at The Romanos in September.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:40 am
Company Representative

What's happening in september

Dear andymo99,

I am very happy to reach out and offer any help or advice I can about the resorts and the destination overall. September is a great month to visit with lots of things happening in Messinia including the grape harvest.

I'm not sure what dates you will be staying with us but if you would like to learn more about what will be going on in September just click here >>

Kind regards,
Leah Lenihan
Old May 20, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
I've been trying to find a reason to go to Greece. Now if I can convince Mrs. Tireman it is safe!
Old May 21, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Do we have confirmation that the hotels will be closed during the off-season? I'm weighing travel options for next March and would consider a trip to Costa Navarino if they're open.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:31 am
Company Representative

Seasonality

I would just like to confirm that the resort will close in November 2010 and re-open before Easter (mid-April) in 2011 - we haven't yet had the opportunity to confirm the date yet.

Leah Lenihan
on behalf of Starwood Costa Navarino
Old May 21, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by StarwoodCostaNavarino
I would just like to confirm that the resort will close in November 2010 and re-open before Easter (mid-April) in 2011 - we haven't yet had the opportunity to confirm the date yet.

Leah Lenihan
on behalf of Starwood Costa Navarino
Thanks for the quick reply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.