Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel [Master Thread]

Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Sep 6, 05, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel [Master Thread]

I don’t usually post trip reports but this past weekend’s stay at the Sheraton Norfolk deserves one! Simply put, the hotel’s condition is simply appalling for a Sheraton – and I’ve stayed at many Sheratons! Obviously, I don’t expect 4* quality from the brand, but I would describe the one in Norfolk as 1.5*. Read on…

The good: nice location, directly on the waterfront. Waterfront rooms do provide a nice view of the docks and military ships. Hotel is adjacent to a retail/entertainment complex with a Jilian’s, Hooter’s, Outback, etc. Walking distance to Granby Street - the only “happening” street in Norfolk – with nice bars, quaint restaurants and a movie theater. Hotel lounge is decent, with appetizers in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning. A computer/printer is available for complementary use in the lounge and the lobby. No free alcohol in the lounge but attendant was really pleasant and kind.

The not-so-good: I booked on points and ended up with two different 1-night reservations because of the 3000//4000 points needed for a weekend/weekday stay. As a plat, I expected an upgrade to the club level but no luck. Apparently, the whole club level was fully booked for 2 straight days because of weddings. The agent at checkin said that she “could give me access to the lounge” as if it was a big favor she was doing. Absolutely no mention of the platinum amenity. Upon checkin, the agent asked if I was staying just for the one night and I said that I am staying for two nights under two separate reservation numbers. She said “no problem” but the next morning, I called service promise and they were expecting me to checkout that day. I told them I was staying for an additional night under a separate reservation and they said they would “allow” me to stay in the same room because no upgrade was available for my second night. Great, another night in the same filthy, disgusting and non-functional room; read on…

The ugly (very, very ugly): I described my room on the 7th floor as filthy and disgusting, here’s why. The carpet was horribly worn and had a huge red stain on it that was obviously never thoroughly cleaned. The bathtub and shower curtain had mildew and “other” black stains all over. The bathroom’s ceiling had some horrible dark stains. The toilet seat was the wrong shape for the bowl underneath which resulted in an awkward seating position. All of the pipes leading to the toilet bowl and sink were rusted and dirty. Using the bathroom was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. The bed was definitely not “sweet-sleeper-compliant”. The mattress sagged significantly, was horrendously soft and provided no support. The fitted sheet was too small and so it could barely be tucked in under the bed. Overnight, it would get “un-tucked” and reveal the wonderfully smelly and sticky bare bed corners. All of this made for some serious back-and-neck-ache and lack of sleep in the morning, but all can be fixed by a nice relaxing shower, right I highly doubt that the hotel’s corridors are vacuumed daily as a used cotton swab could be seen conspicuously on the floor outside my room during my whole stay. When I got back to the hotel on the second day around 5PM, I realized that my bed was not made. I called service promise and they said that they would send someone up. Since I wanted to relax a little, I asked them to send someone after 7:30PM at which time I would be at dinner. 7:15 rolls around and I get a call from them saying that they cannot send someone until 9-9:30. I cancel the request, complaining that this is appalling since it’s their fault that the bed was not made in the first place. No mention of a service promise, no “what can we do to fix this situation”, just a curt “goodbye” from an obviously inexperienced service-promise representative. I make the bed myself, skip the shower and watch the news realizing that some people in the south have it far worse that I do; I stop complaining for the rest of the stay…
Old Sep 6, 05, 12:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & Starwood & Marriott
I fully agree with Geadnic, our one night stay was very dissapointing, the hotel needs a major makeover.

Major issues include:
The deadbolt lock on the door didn't work
Ducktape held the showerhead to the wall
Carpets in the room and hall needed a major cleaning.

But I did get 500 Service Promise points...
Old Apr 13, 07, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Silver
Norfolk Sheraton being renovated

Saw this in the paper this morning. Based on the comments I've read on FT, this is probably a few years overdue.
----------------

Norfolk Sheraton to undergo extensive renovations

By GREGORY RICHARDS, The Virginian-Pilot
© April 13, 2007 | Last updated 12:06 AM Apr. 13

NORFOLK -The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel will start the most extensive renovation in its 30-year history later this month, General Manager Skip Hammerman said Thursday.

The project involves completely remodeling the 445 guest rooms with new wall coverings, carpets, drapes, furniture, mattresses and bathrooms. The lobby and meeting spaces are being spruced up, the hotel's exterior is being repainted and the elevators and heating systems are being upgraded. It is expected to be completed by the end of October.

See the complete Pilot, exactly as in print
- View stories, photos and ads
- E-mail clippings
- Print copies

"To have the hotel completely renovated up to modern standards and comfort is going to be very good," Hammerman said.

He declined to disclose the project's price tag.

The hotel will remain open while work is ongoing, Hammerman said.

The downtown hotel was purchased last year by Boston's Pyramid Hotel Group.

"We're really excited about what the ownership has committed to doing there at the Sheraton," said Mary Garrett, spokeswoman for the Norfolk Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Old Apr 28, 10, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I"m here now in the middle of a 4 night stay.

I called the Plat Concierge after making my reservation to request a suite. On check-in I was told I had been upgraded to a club level room. I quietly mentioned I was hoping for a larger room, and the FD agent made a couple of trips to the office area and came back and said she had upgraded me to a suite.

I was given x74, a corner suite with great views of the harbor and a small balcony. Nice size suite, very comfortable. The hotel is a bit older - maybe built in the 70s - but obviously updated recently. Two 42" flat screens. Oddly there is a mini fridge on the floor in the living room area behind a chair, and a microwave behind that (on the floor, plugged in).

No mention of platinum amentity on check-in, I'll make sure to check on it when I check out on Friday. I was offered a late checkout on arrival though.

The club lounge is open M-F in the mornings and evenings. Usual fare, beers, wine, sodas, water. A couple of hot items each night as well as cheese/crackers/fruit. Breakfast has been hot sandwiches (croissant, egg, cheese, and sausage or bacon), breads, yogurt, fruit, cereal.

Parking is $12 to self park in the garage or $22 for valet. The garage is a bit of a hike from the hotel entrance so I chose valet.

Area is okay/nice. The hotel is advertised as "the only Norfolk hotel directly on the water". There's a nice walkway and a few harbor cruise operators and a ferry service to go across the harbor. Next door is a food court with a handful of restaurants (Outback, Hooters, Jillians, and a few smaller places). There's a very large shopping mall a few blocks away as well, and a number of nice restaurants, all within walking distance.

I stopped in the restaurant last night. At 9:30 they were closed, but I was able to order off a limited menu in the bar area. Had the She-Crab soup, which was very good. The restaurant had a wine tasting toninght and also offered a few samples off the menu, I believe this is a regular Wednesday night event.

My only peeve is the internet service. No wireless except in the lounge and in the the lobby area. And it sucks. I'm using a "Links" area PC now, and it's not very good either.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the hotel, in spite of the internet service.

Last edited by TCnSanDiegoCA; Apr 28, 10 at 7:25 pm Reason: corrected spelling /typo
Old Apr 28, 10, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TCnSanDiegoCA View Post
My only peeve is the internet service. No wireless except in the lounge and in the the lobby area. And it sucks. I'm using a "Links" area PC now, and it's not very good either.
Is there wired internet in the room, or no HSIA at all?
Old Apr 29, 10, 4:58 am

There is wired access in the rooms.

Last night there was a broadcast voice mail from the GM apologizing to everyone, apparently the poor service is a temporary glitch. The voice mail said no one that had paid for access this week would be charged. The response time does seem much better this morning (in the lounge). Nice gesture by the hotel. ^
Old May 1, 10, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA,SPG,HH,BA,Hawaiian
Sheraton Waterside Norfolk

What happened to service? it is after 3:00 pm and we are finally getting our room serviced. yesterday we got no new coffee pouches, shampoos, or cups for the bathroom. and we are on the SPG preferred floor....would think the better customers would get a higher standard of service.
Old May 1, 10, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cinnywoo View Post
What happened to service? it is after 3:00 pm and we are finally getting our room serviced. yesterday we got no new coffee pouches, shampoos, or cups for the bathroom. and we are on the SPG preferred floor....would think the better customers would get a higher standard of service.
Good to see things haven't changed from my '05-'08 stays...would usually show up at 2-3pm, room not ready until 5-6pm (sometimes later). This has nothing to do with standard of service for "better customers," but has been the way this hotel has operated for years.
Old May 5, 10, 8:54 am

Pics of corner suite x74, from April 2010:

Bedroom
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010/BR092.jpg

Living Room
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010/LR093.jpg

View
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...10/View094.jpg
Old May 5, 10, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by TCnSanDiegoCA View Post
There is wired access in the rooms.

Last night there was a broadcast voice mail from the GM apologizing to everyone, apparently the poor service is a temporary glitch. The voice mail said no one that had paid for access this week would be charged. The response time does seem much better this morning (in the lounge). Nice gesture by the hotel. ^
That excuse from the GM is a load of crap. I was hired on at that hotel to take care of all the internet issues that they had. The wiring is substandard, the switches are failing and, to top that off, the GM and the powers that be don't have the guts to get Wayport out there to solve the problem.

I no longer work there for a few reasons that I cannot get into here. If you want decent internet that's FREE I would STRONGLY suggest staying in another hotel.
Old May 5, 10, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by bpoe19 View Post
Good to see things haven't changed from my '05-'08 stays...would usually show up at 2-3pm, room not ready until 5-6pm (sometimes later). This has nothing to do with standard of service for "better customers," but has been the way this hotel has operated for years.
hard to get rooms done when management has placed limits on hours AND personnel. Can't get the job done without the proper staffing. But that's what happens when you have managers that never leave their offices unless it's to attend a meeting or stuff their faces at lunch time. You can't operate a hotel without actually SEEING what's going on.
Old Aug 4, 10, 12:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
EEK! I just finished qualifying for Marriott Platinum this year... and I've been using my SPG card the whole time so I ALSO just hit SPG gold! I was super excited for this to be my first Starwood stay as gold... but it sounds like I should just go for one more marriott before going SPG... this place sounds awful! What should I do!? Advice please? :-)
Old Aug 4, 10, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
EEK! I just finished qualifying for Marriott Platinum this year... and I've been using my SPG card the whole time so I ALSO just hit SPG gold! I was super excited for this to be my first Starwood stay as gold... but it sounds like I should just go for one more marriott before going SPG... this place sounds awful! What should I do!? Advice please? :-)
Stay at the Westin in the Va Beach area...much nicer and good restaurants just a minute walk away. It's not on the beach, but a much better property.
Old Aug 4, 10, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bpoe19 View Post
Stay at the Westin in the Va Beach area...much nicer and good restaurants just a minute walk away. It's not on the beach, but a much better property.
Too far - i have a meeting in downtown Norfolk, and I'm only there for a day. Also for whatever reason... the renaissance there is only $69/night next week (AAA rate). I will just have to SPG it for my next business trip.
Old Jul 31, 11, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG LT Gold, HHonors Silver
Any recent stays here?

I'll be stating here in September and am a bit hesitant based on what I have read here. Any recent experiences? Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: