Canadian SPG American Express

Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:37 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Why are you doing that ?!! You're gonna cause a devaluation of the Amex Cobalt benefits or the MR to Marriott transfer 1:1.2 rate

The wonderful thing about our country is it is quite free. You have better ideas how to make things better, you can spend the time writing to American Express.

Through my years with AMEX, I found various times my writing made (or help contribute to ) change. In early high school/university days, you get the AMEX Platinum and Aeroplan Plat and you had to pay twice the annual fees. I wrote and soon enough a new policy came about that you can keep both cards by paying for one (that policy has discontinued). When I wrote about the idiocy of having the Plat card ($1 to 1.5MR to 1 Aeroplan) out-earn the Aeroplan Plat ($1 to 1.35 aeroplan miles as Chartered member), they did responded by reducing the Plat card earning rate. Bad for me but the system got better I think. Later in life, I wrote to the AMEX ombudsman about application approval and it got answered by marketing manager in response to the Ombudsman and it was dealt with fairly. I wrote about the double dip of AMEX plat travel credit and why I had to keep changing cards by self referral. There was then a overall fair change to how AMEX applies the annual fee credit and travel credit changed to once per year upon card fee renewal (and not calendar year). I don't think it's because of me that changes happen, but I think there are those like me that does provide feedback (but don't post on flyertalk) thus these changes happen.

Positive changes happen when you voice your opinion to AMEX and what you would like reasonably to happen. Complaining here is not going to make the Bonvoy AMEX better.

There are also other parts of the whole credit card system, fees and how small businesses try to not take credit cards if purchase is too small. The whole eco-system of rewards, merchant fees, middle-man charges...that needs some limits - like what EU is doing. That's another topic not with AMEX but with the Member of Parliament representing my district.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card in Canada

Originally Posted by wildace
When is the Marriott Bonvoy card launching for "new customers" in Canada??? AMEX Canada website still shows the SPG Amex as I type this right now.

I called AMEX a couple of weeks ago and they said to avoid having duplicate SPG, Marriott rewards profiles to wait until the "Bonvoy" card officially launches and then sign up, that way I start fresh with the new card only linking to my Marriott/Bonvoy number.
Amex Canada website still shows SPG Amex. I have been waiting to sign-up after they launch Bonvoy card in Canada to avoid any confusion with mapping SPG Number to Bonvoy Number. The current application still asks for SPG number.

Any insights into when they are officially launching in Canada?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
I was waiting as well but bit the bullet and applied, hoping the 15 elite night credits will appear this year. Used my Marriott number on the application with no issues and got a quick approval.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I wrote about the double dip of AMEX plat travel credit and why I had to keep changing cards by self referral. There was then a overall fair change to how AMEX applies the annual fee credit and travel credit changed to once per year upon card fee renewal (and not calendar year).

Surely you jest! So you troll FT to pick up tips and tricks and then report them to Amex???
imverge, *Fan, jerry305 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:22 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Surely you jest! So you troll FT to pick up tips and tricks and then report them to Amex???
oh. You mean to take advantage of all the offers and then pull the plank so others can't board the ship? Is that how we roll. It's not the first time you deal with our kind of hypocrisy logic.

A solid card is designed so it's good enough not to get churned and a kept for wallet use and not on the drawer. I don't accept what is given as unchangeable so I go about my way to change it - be it credit card or government policy. Those who speak up and lobby influence change. One can totally have a straight face and tell Prime Minister not to introduce Bills to cap credit card merchant fees because the points are very lucrative for flyertalker consumers. One can also write to AMEX to encourage them never to implement american style once a lifetime welcome bonus because one enjoys churning their cards for welcome bonus.

Overall I think the Bonvoy AMEX is heading the right direction by having a free night cert at the end of the year after you paid the annual fee of year 2. This makes the more attractive to keep than to churn. Some more enhancements in points earning front would make it better every day use. I prefer to have a better Bonvoy card so it can be my default everyday spending card that SPG AMEX was before so I write and lobby AMEX to induce positive change.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jagadishgandhi
Amex Canada website still shows SPG Amex. I have been waiting to sign-up after they launch Bonvoy card in Canada to avoid any confusion with mapping SPG Number to Bonvoy Number. The current application still asks for SPG number.

Any insights into when they are officially launching in Canada?
Just noticed the following in my Feb. bill.

“Important information about your Card

As of February 26 2019, your Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express® will be changing its name to the Marriott Bonvoy(TM ) American Express Card. The Marriott Bonvoy points you earn with your Card can be redeemed at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program.”
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
New Bonvoy Card on the web with a 60k sign up now. Same 10k referral bonus. Card in my account also changed to show Bonvoy.

prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson
New Bonvoy Card on the web with a 60k sign up now. Same 10k referral bonus. Card in my account also changed to show Bonvoy.

$3000 spend required to obtain bonus with referral.

Last edited by prmetime; Feb 26, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: Added additional information
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by prmetime
$3000 spend required to obtain bonus with referral.
Apparently you get 61000 points from a referral link now...

You¹ could earn a referral bonus of 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points for each approved referral².

Your friend could earn 61,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points after they charge $3,000 in purchases to their Card in the first three months of Cardmembership³. Subject to change.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
15 bonus nights were posted today.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson
Apparently you get 61000 points from a referral link now...
Yes. I saw that but with twice the MSR hardly worth it for an extra 1k. Contemplating if the 10K referral is even worth it. I will wait and see what the GCR or other offers might be.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The Canadian Marriott Bonvoy AMEX states the following language:

Receive a 15,000 point bonus from the Marriott BonvoyTMprogram when you transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program9
So they are saying once you transfer 60K points and receive 25K airline miles, you will get back 15K Marriott points?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by canesfan
The Canadian Marriott Bonvoy AMEX states the following language:

So they are saying once you transfer 60K points and receive 25K airline miles, you will get back 15K Marriott points?
What this means is when you transfer 60K points they will add 15K points to give you a total of 75K points. These points transfer then to airline miles at a rate of 3 Bonvoy points to 1 airline mile. So for 60K points you get 25K airline miles. There is no rebate.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prmetime
What this means is when you transfer 60K points they will add 15K points to give you a total of 75K points. These points transfer then to airline miles at a rate of 3 Bonvoy points to 1 airline mile. So for 60K points you get 25K airline miles. There is no rebate.
Ok it's basically worded differently that the U.S. They say when you transfer 60K points, you receive 5K bonus airline miles, while the Canadian language is the opposite, for whatever reason.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had an Amex SPG card, but canceled it last year in anticipation of the new program. If I apply for BonVoy card now, will I get the sign up bonus (assuming I meet spending limit)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.