Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
SPG Amex - 15 nights credit Question

I have the SPG American Express (Canadian) and in December I got an email stating one of the new benefit is 15 nights credit. Did any one get that in their account in the new year? I'm still waiting for mine's.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's spelled for the U.S. card in the T&C https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms
Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International, Inc. (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the "Marriott Loyalty Program") on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions.
The Canadian card T&C online don't include the 15 nights, but if it's a benefit, I'd assume it's the same.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's spelled for the U.S. card in the T&C https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms

The Canadian card T&C online don't include the 15 nights, but if it's a benefit, I'd assume it's the same.
I know it is spelled out as "on or before March 1" as noted here.

Has anybody wondered why they couldn't specify an specific date? Was that because Marriott didn't know when they would be able to have their IT department get this implemented? And I guess somebody must have thought "they better get it done by March 1" so let's put that a long stop date
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cre95
Has anybody wondered why they couldn't specify an specific date?
They did. March 1. They may post earlier, but don't expect it.

Originally Posted by cre95
Was that because Marriott didn't know when they would be able to have their IT department get this implemented?
It's not Marriott's responsibility. It's all on Amex.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:59 pm
alc

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I have the SPG American Express (Canadian) and in December I got an email stating one of the new benefit is 15 nights credit. Did any one get that in their account in the new year? I'm still waiting for mine's.
can you send a screen shot of your email? As the email and the link that provided of the one I got do not include this 15 nights at all. And the email I got was just sent out this week (Jan 29 to be exact)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alc
can you send a screen shot of your email? As the email and the link that provided of the one I got do not include this 15 nights at all. And the email I got was just sent out this week (Jan 29 to be exact)
Posted in post # 2170. Here it is again.

From Dec 19 email:

COMING IN EARLY 2019: Each calendar year, with your Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express®, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits towards the next level of Elite status in the SPG®* Program1.

For example, a Silver Elite status member with the new 15 Elite Night Credits will only need to stay an additional 10 nights a year to earn Gold Elite status or stay an additional 35 nights a year to earn Platinum Elite status.

There will be another communication when these Elite Night Credits have been deposited in your loyalty account. In the meantime, for the most up to date information about the different tiers in the SPG Program, visit the page below.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...&om_lid=amex14
alc and jerry305 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:49 am

I just got an email that mentions the 15 nights with the card:An exciting year aheadIn 2018, your Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express was refreshed with new benefits. These benefits included an Annual Free Night Award at participating hotels and resorts worldwide for a room with a redemption value of 35,000 points each year after your anniversary and automatic Silver Elite status membership.1 This year, earn a higher status faster with the launch of the 15 Elite Night Credits2, coming soon.Each calendar year, with your Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits towards the next level of Elite status in the SPG®* Program2. For example, a Silver Elite status member with the new 15 Elite Night Credits will only need to stay an additional 10 nights a year to earn Gold Elite status. There will be another communication when these Elite Night Credits have been deposited in your loyalty account.Look forward to more exciting updates ahead to make your SPG Amex card your ideal travel companion.
2. To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Cardmember, your Card Account must be in good standing at the time of the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, and you must have an active Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program account. To receive the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, your Card Account must be linked to an SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account in your name. You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Starwood Preferred Guest Consumer or Small Business credit card account or have more than one SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account. American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit. It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I just got the same email from SPG Amex as Doesun

Last edited by *Fan; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:14 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:10 pm

So in my last cycle (closed 1/24), my points did not post to my Marriott account. Since this has never happened before I was wondering who I should be contacting? Amex? Marriott? Given the horrible post-merger technical issues, I would tend to think this is a Marriott problem. Or do I wait out to my next statemeent closing and see if something happens?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by illico
So in my last cycle (closed 1/24), my points did not post to my Marriott account. Since this has never happened before I was wondering who I should be contacting? Amex? Marriott? Given the horrible post-merger technical issues, I would tend to think this is a Marriott problem. Or do I wait out to my next statemeent closing and see if something happens?
I found that my points are being posted 2 months later, you might want to wait till next month to see whether the points post or not before you contact Marriott.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I submitted a formal complaint to AMEX Canada. The Colbalt card out earns Marriott Bonvoy points on their own specalty catagory. Colbat's eats and drinks catagory earns 6 Bonvoy points per $C 1 spent while this new Bonvy AMEX earns 5 Bonvoy Points per $C1 spent in Marriott hotels. I wrote to corporate that this needs to be fixed - preferably by increasing the bonus points earned on the AMEX Bonvoy card while staying in a Marriott/SPG hotel.

This issue happened once-up-a-time when Aeroplan AMEX cards came out. The AMEX Platinum was earning $1.5 membership reward points per $C 1 spent and thus can convert to 1.5 Aeroplan miles while the Aeroplan AMEX Platinum was earning 1.30 aeroplan miles per $C1 and I wrote to complain. A few months later... They converted all Platinum card members to either accept the new ratio of 1.25 Membership Reward Points per $C1 and allowed to convert to Aeroplan OR (by special request) keep the 1.5 Membership Rewards Points per $C1 spent but cannot convert to Aeroplan. I wonder how many took the 1.5 Membership Rewards per $C1 spent option - they could have transfered to SPG in a tolerable discount. Anyhow, if you complain about fairness of the overall program, they'll fix it but it's a gamble if the fix is better or worse than before.
Why are you doing that ?!! You're gonna cause a devaluation of the Amex Cobalt benefits or the MR to Marriott transfer 1:1.2 rate
imverge likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: MR Platinum
https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-us/amex-ca

link came from Marriott Bonvoy launch email and
states specifically the Canadian Amex SPG will become the Amex Bonvoy with the same benefits.

no mentioning of 15 nights. complimentary gold status with specific spending level.

Last edited by CS300; Feb 13, 2019 at 5:59 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
When is the Marriott Bonvoy card launching for "new customers" in Canada??? AMEX Canada website still shows the SPG Amex as I type this right now.

I called AMEX a couple of weeks ago and they said to avoid having duplicate SPG, Marriott rewards profiles to wait until the "Bonvoy" card officially launches and then sign up, that way I start fresh with the new card only linking to my Marriott/Bonvoy number.
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by wildace
When is the Marriott Bonvoy card launching for "new customers" in Canada??? AMEX Canada website still shows the SPG Amex as I type this right now.

I called AMEX a couple of weeks ago and they said to avoid having duplicate SPG, Marriott rewards profiles to wait until the "Bonvoy" card officially launches and then sign up, that way I start fresh with the new card only linking to my Marriott/Bonvoy number.
I'm wondering the same thing. They were launched in the U.S. today and with enhanced sign up offers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Titanium Elite, AC, UA Silver
Received this SPG Card eNewsletter for February on February 6th. I have pasted the part about the 15 Elite Nights Credit coming soon..
I also posted the fine print below the screen cap that relates to the 15 Elite Nights Credit.

2. To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Cardmember, your Card Account must be in good standing at the time of the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, and you must have an active Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program account. To receive the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, your Card Account must be linked to an SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account in your name. You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Starwood Preferred Guest Consumer or Small Business credit card account or have more than one SPG or Marriott Loyalty Program account. American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit. It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account.
jerry305, prmetime and CS300 like this.

Last edited by CraigerC; Feb 13, 2019 at 7:57 pm Reason: Add additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.