Canadian SPG American Express

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pokee
My guess is that they don't want cancelled cards after the free night is used?
That was their experience with the Chase Marriott Visa, yes.
I attempted to cancel my card renewal, and they refused... but ultimately relented. The free night credit had already been sent.
So I imagine that scenario played out thousands of times for other Marriott program members.
pokee likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
That was their experience with the Chase Marriott Visa, yes.
I attempted to cancel my card renewal, and they refused... but ultimately relented. The free night credit had already been sent.
So I imagine that scenario played out thousands of times for other Marriott program members.
Not so for me.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Seeing a 10k point referral bonus now - so 60k if self refer (20k old SPG ) . Still less than before but I guess the card does give the annual night cert now ...

Trying to hold out for a bigger sign up bonus
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Unless I'm missing something, there's no incentive for people to use a referral link since it has the same sign-up bonus and actually has a higher spend requirement ($3,000) than applying directly from the Amex website ($1,500).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Unless I'm missing something, there's no incentive for people to use a referral link since it has the same sign-up bonus and actually has a higher spend requirement ($3,000) than applying directly from the Amex website ($1,500).
Well, there certainly is if you're like me and have been waiting to do a self-referral.

That's too bad about the $3000 spend required on the referral app. That kills the deal for me. I am concerned that if we wait too long, the regular app link will increase the spend to $3000, too? I seem to recall that always being the case - so the $1500 spend is likely a promo?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:05 pm
alc

Anyone else still waiting for their points from Aug statement? I called AMEX and claimed their system show transfer successful and ask me to contact Marriott/SPG. So, after (dropped) call (wait/redial) Marriott who said there is nothing they can do as it is AMEX that need to transfer the points in and ask me to contact AMEX. Who should I escalate this to? Any advice anyone?

Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Anyone else still waiting for their points from Aug statement? I called AMEX and claimed their system show transfer successful and ask me to contact Marriott/SPG. So, after (dropped) call (wait/redial) Marriott who said there is nothing they can do as it is AMEX that need to transfer the points in and ask me to contact AMEX. Who should I escalate this to? Any advice anyone?

Thanks.
Call Amex and tell them about your desire to cancel the card because of poor service from them. It may help.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Well, there certainly is if you're like me and have been waiting to do a self-referral.

That's too bad about the $3000 spend required on the referral app. That kills the deal for me. I am concerned that if we wait too long, the regular app link will increase the spend to $3000, too? I seem to recall that always being the case - so the $1500 spend is likely a promo?
Tell us which option exists; a benefit to self-refer or the spend kills the deal.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alc

Thanks.

​​​​​​​I received my points from my August statement on Aug 25 (would normally post the 11th or 12th of each month).
Received my points for my September statement on September 12th - so back to normal.

As a data point, I have not merged my SPG and Marriott accounts yet and my points are posting to my SPG amount (new number).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I received my points from my August statement on Aug 25 (would normally post the 11th or 12th of each month).
Received my points for my September statement on September 12th - so back to normal.

As a data point, I have not merged my SPG and Marriott accounts yet and my points are posting to my SPG amount (new number).
Hilarious. I had an almost identical post here (#20) except the data was for my US card.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30246997
martyYOW likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:52 pm

Looks like folks in the US have started getting their Amex SPG free night certificates posting to their account.. Anyone with the Canadian version have anything posted in their account yet?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by alc

Thanks.
I'm still waiting for mine to show up from Sept statement. Haven't called Amex yet though.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by standing01
Looks like folks in the US have started getting their Amex SPG free night certificates posting to their account.. Anyone with the Canadian version have anything posted in their account yet?
I called AMEX a couple weeks ago and the agent said I should receive the Amex SPG free night certificate in 8-10 weeks after the annual fee posted. The agent at this time confirmed I would be receiving it.

10 weeks had passed and still no certificate so I called back in today and was informed that now I won't be receiving the free night certificate this year. This is because my reset date is late July. The annual fee posted late August but they are going by the reset date and not the annual fee posting date. And anyone who is has a reset date before August 15th won't be getting the free night even though they are paying the annual fee. (The reset date should be on the last page of your statement).

I tried escalating this and speaking with a supervisor but wasn't having any luck. Not sure it's worth the effort to pursue this further but it can be done so at this LINK on the Amex webite. May be easier to just cancel the card and try to get the annual fee rebated back.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
10 weeks had passed and still no certificate so I called back in today and was informed that now I won't be receiving the free night certificate this year. This is because my reset date is late July. The annual fee posted late August but they are going by the reset date and not the annual fee posting date. And anyone who is has a reset date before August 15th won't be getting the free night even though they are paying the annual fee. (The reset date should be on the last page of your statement).
My annual fee posted on October 26, therefore I assume the reset date is September and by your logic I should qualify for the e-certificate. My statement shows no such reset date at all.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
My annual fee posted on October 26, therefore I assume the reset date is September and by your logic I should qualify for the e-certificate. My statement shows no such reset date at all.
Check the bottom of the last page of your last AMEX SPG PDF or printed statement. There should be two boxes in the middle or right hand side in the Starwood Perferred Guest Awards section:

SPG Awards
Annual Reset Date:

Net Purchases
To Date $:

Reports on the USA Amex SPG card in another flyertalk thread are indicating that the free night certificate is posting on the 2nd of the month. (Oct 2, Nov 2).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.