Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by msp3
My SPG monthly spend posted in my Marriott account after all. The only issue is it doesn't specifically show in the merged account's activity page. I'm assuming this must be something like missing SPG nights and it's all in there somewhere but does not show up properly yet.
Same happened to me. It’s only been 2 weeks since the merge, and according to Marriott, everything is going great, so must be just us.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Same here. My August points posted 10 days after they normally would have. Even though they don't show up as an entry yet in my account activity, they've been correctly added to my overall points balance. Pre-merge, my points from this card would show up in my SPG account 2 days after my statement date, and I would transfer them into Marriott points right then and there. I really miss the 1:3 transfer ratio.

Question on the anniversary date category 5 free night certificate. Say your anniversary date is in June or July. Since it's before the merger, you will still receive a certificate each year after your anniversary date as long as you have the card, it's just that the first one you receive won't be until June or July 2019. Is that right?

Side note for those who also had the Canadian Marriott Visa. It's kind of disappointing that the certificate we received upon accounts being closed is only good for a category 4 hotel now. I know 25,000 points was the old category 5 level, but the certificate was issued as a category 5 certificate, so you'd think it should be good until its expiry date for a category 5 property now. It's too bad the certificate wasn't coded by category instead of by point value.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
For the business you mean?
Or personal. I may not bother however. I really hate paying for an AF on a card I rarely want to use.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Where did you see this listed in your SPG account? Under your profile or activity?

Did you only see it once you started the process of merging your accounts?
it was under activity and its there even after combining my accounts along with my marriott 7 night certs
pokee likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

My SPG AMEX points always posted at month end. ALWAYS. What is the norm now as my August statement has come / gone but nothing transferred yet to my SPG account? Do I wait, do I call? What a mess.

I am assuming it is still going to my SPG account or is it going to my MAR account now? My accounts are linked but I haven't merged them yet.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Bravada04
My SPG AMEX points always posted at month end. ALWAYS. What is the norm now as my August statement has come / gone but nothing transferred yet to my SPG account? Do I wait, do I call? What a mess.

I am assuming it is still going to my SPG account or is it going to my MAR account now? My accounts are linked but I haven't merged them yet.
Don't waste your time calling. They won't appear any faster. Mine usually post on the 14th of the month. In Aug, they posted on the 31st. My accounts are not combined and they posted to my SPG account. Did not have to notify them of the new number.

Marriott IT is still a mess. Let them work their way through it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jtpc
Same here. My August points posted 10 days after they normally would have. Even though they don't show up as an entry yet in my account activity, they've been correctly added to my overall points balance. Pre-merge, my points from this card would show up in my SPG account 2 days after my statement date, and I would transfer them into Marriott points right then and there. I really miss the 1:3 transfer ratio.

Question on the anniversary date category 5 free night certificate. Say your anniversary date is in June or July. Since it's before the merger, you will still receive a certificate each year after your anniversary date as long as you have the card, it's just that the first one you receive won't be until June or July 2019. Is that right?

Side note for those who also had the Canadian Marriott Visa. It's kind of disappointing that the certificate we received upon accounts being closed is only good for a category 4 hotel now. I know 25,000 points was the old category 5 level, but the certificate was issued as a category 5 certificate, so you'd think it should be good until its expiry date for a category 5 property now. It's too bad the certificate wasn't coded by category instead of by point value.
I just called to ask about a similar situation.. They told me my anniversary date was July 25th, and my annual fee was actually charged August 24th. The annual free night would have determined whether I kept the card or cancelled..

The rep actually confirmed to me over the phone that with the new changes I am eligible and I should expect to receive it around Sept 25th (at the 8 week mark). I told them that I would keep the card open based on that condition so lets see if it posts..
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by standing01
I just called to ask about a similar situation.. They told me my anniversary date was July 25th, and my annual fee was actually charged August 24th. The annual free night would have determined whether I kept the card or cancelled..

The rep actually confirmed to me over the phone that with the new changes I am eligible and I should expect to receive it around Sept 25th (at the 8 week mark). I told them that I would keep the card open based on that condition so lets see if it posts..

Wow - they're really stretching out that free annual night posting right up until the 8 week mark....

Why such a lengthy wait, do you think? Shouldn't our free night be posting the same statement period as the annual fee? This is what Chase did with our Visa.

Maybe they want to make sure we don't take the free night and then cancel the card right afterwards?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Has anyone done a product switch from the personal card to the biz version? The extra point for gas,dining, and travel is tempting. Not sure if there's really a downside other than the $30 more in annual fee and the cost per supplementary cards. I don't have supplementary card users and $30/yr is worth it for the extra points generated.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:04 am

If I book the hotel for 4 nights, 2 with certificates and 2 with points, will I get the fifth night for free? And how do I do it on line?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If I book the hotel for 4 nights, 2 with certificates and 2 with points, will I get the fifth night for free? And how do I do it on line?
Weird. I was just looking into that this morning and apparently the answer is no: https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/53452
1Newflyer and pokee like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:35 pm

Just checking. No referral points right?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Just checking. No referral points right?
Correct, not as of now

and I don't see a free night yet either while my $120 renewal fee is now here, debating whether to cancel or not
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Weird. I was just looking into that this morning and apparently the answer is no: https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/53452
Surprising...I thought the free cert nights worked the same as points...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Correct, not as of now

and I don't see a free night yet either while my $120 renewal fee is now here, debating whether to cancel or not
I'm going to be very irritated to have to wait so long for my free night cert. My anniversary date is Sept. 9th and I want to use it for a stay on Dec. 5th in NYC, and I'll have to order the e-cert. by the 3rd week of November (which is exactly 10 weeks after my anniversary date). That makes it a VERY close call for me, whether it will post in time. And so it's making it difficult for me to make my plans (as I am trying to decide between a 40K a night hotel for 3 nights or a 35K hotel for 4 nights - so not sure what flight dates to book).

Why do you think they're making us wait 8-10 weeks for the free night to post, after paying the AF?

My guess is that they don't want cancelled cards after the free night is used?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.