Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Got the email as well. Actually, doesn't this favour Canadians, since it is 2 points / $CAD, which is a slightly better earning rate than the US version of the card?

I know, still not as good as the old 1 Starpoint per $CAD...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Definitely a downgrade. the "silver lining" is the FN cert that is a bit more usable than the lousy old one that required 40k spend. The card is certainly a lot less useful than the old one. But earning 2 MR/CAD is better than the new US cards that earn 2MR/USD . (almost 2.6MR./USD)..
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:03 am

The downgrade is easier to swallow given that we are earning 33% more points than Americans at the moment due to the CAD. The free night cert is a major improvement over the old free weekend night. Since it is equivalent to (35,000/3) 11,666 Starpoints at the moment, I'd say the annual fee of the business card pays for itself.

In fact, I'd say the new changes make the business SPG much better for some. With the new changes, you don't have to be conscious about always hitting $40k spend every year to get the free weekend night, the new free night cert is usable at more hotels and days as it isn't just limited to Starwood on weekends. Given that the new business SPG will not devalue earning for travel, gas, and dining, you could conceivably just keep the card for that as the free night cert pays for the card and you get Amex's great insurance to boot.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
I'm thinking I will keep the card. The free night covers the annual fee. However, I will likely only use it for SPG/Marriott properties.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
I really hoped they offer 15 elite night credits.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Looks like I'll keep it and only use it for SPG/Marriott properties.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The official site for change
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...red-guest.html
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
So no night credits for the Canadian version of the SPG card...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:58 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
It's so infuriating. We have no night credits and no "Luxury" card option. They didn't mention the annual fee so perhaps it stays the same. The business card version is slightly better earn rate (for dining, travel and gas) than the personal one but $20 more in annual fees.
Some card review website spin it like it was a "win" because the loss was less than expected...

AMEX can really tie our hands if they kill off the AMEX Membership Rewards transfer (or make the ratio even more hostile). We just have to wait and see.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:06 pm

I received the email earlier today and reading the first part of the changes I thought ... since the earn rate is slightly lower in this newer iteration than with the Starpoints. I was debating whether it made sense to keep the card at all. However, upon reading the remainder of the announcement (i.e. free reward night, automatic Silver status and the addition of free premium) it made the card a definite keeper particularly if the annual fee stays the same. At the moment I'm Marriott Gold thanks to my hitting UA Gold every year but who knows how long that partnership will last.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:52 pm

So the only difference between the business and personal card is the 3pt/$ category?

Not entirely sure that's worth the extra $20 a year, if annual fees remain the same.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
This is the biggest problem with the transition from SPG. I was also really hoping for this, to put us on a level playing field with those holding credit cards south of the border. Makes a big difference in earning status levels.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
I called in today for something unrelated and mentioned the earn rate devaluation, the rep says (in a tone to console me) that this card now offers supplementary card at no annual fee (implying there used to be a fee for that).

Just wanted to throw this info out there in case it matters to someone.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:10 pm

I will be canceling the card.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:11 am

I called them last night.......said I wasn't happy being a long term customer. Explained the glaring difference with our card vs. the US card. Representative agreed and said many have cancelled but urged me to hold tight for at least a couple of weeks as he "believes the Canadian Marketing team is apparently looking at options for the current cardholders and might come out with something"? Not sure how much stock I put into that but I will hold tight for a bit yet. He did say he will log my call and put it on my account? Maybe I will get some bonus points or something but I will have to make a decision in the next 2-3 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.