Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerry305
New Starwood Preferred Guest®* Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, earn 25,000 Welcome Bonus Starpoints®* after you charge $1500 in purchases to your Card in your first three months of Cardmembership. That’s enough for up to 2 free nights at a Category 5 property. Offer ends October 18th, 2017.

Harrumph.
I recently applied for the card (with the 20,000 offer). But I haven't yet received & activated the card.
Any suggestions how I might get ask / beg / plead for the extra 5,000 Starpoints?

And, with the new offer, are the referral bonuses unchanged?
In prior instances where the welcome bonus improved, such as when the Gold MR increased from 20K to 25K, Biz Gold MR increased from 30K to 40K, etc., I recall datapoints where Amex were very generous and manually added extra points for the new cardmember. Your long and good Amex history will surely see you get an extra 5K, Jerry. Go for it!

As of 2 minutes ago, only the GCR signup was adjusted to show the new 25,000 welcome offer. Referred signups still showing only 20,000. It will surely increase, just wait for it.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
In prior instances where the welcome bonus improved, such as when the Gold MR increased from 20K to 25K, Biz Gold MR increased from 30K to 40K, etc., I recall datapoints where Amex were very generous and manually added extra points for the new cardmember. Your long and good Amex history will surely see you get an extra 5K, Jerry. Go for it!

As of 2 minutes ago, only the GCR signup was adjusted to show the new 25,000 welcome offer. Referred signups still showing only 20,000. It will surely increase, just wait for it.

Thanks!

Based on the change in Amex Gold referrals last week, I was worried Amex might remove the referrer's bonus entirely for SPG Amex.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:44 pm

Looking to get the personal SPG. Last time I had the card was about 12 months ago.If I don't get the bonus again...do you think I'd have a problem getting the annual fee refunded if I closed after the first statement cycled?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Looking to get the personal SPG. Last time I had the card was about 12 months ago.If I don't get the bonus again...do you think I'd have a problem getting the annual fee refunded if I closed after the first statement cycled?
You gotta spend $1500 by 1st statement then

YMMV, I think it's quite possible
Let us know then
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You gotta spend $1500 by 1st statement then

YMMV, I think it's quite possible
Let us know then
I'm in the same boat - although it's been nearly 18 months since I cancelled my 2nd SPG Personal.

I'm planning to do the minimum spend in the first statement, but not sure when I'll get my card (I've heard stories that it can take weeks) and when my first statement will be generated. I was approved on July 31st.

Can anyone provide a data point as to when the 1st statement is generated (like how many days after activation - or is it a certain number of days after approval)???
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I'm in the same boat - although it's been nearly 18 months since I cancelled my 2nd SPG Personal.

I'm planning to do the minimum spend in the first statement, but not sure when I'll get my card (I've heard stories that it can take weeks) and when my first statement will be generated. I was approved on July 31st.

Can anyone provide a data point as to when the 1st statement is generated (like how many days after activation - or is it a certain number of days after approval)???
I've opened many Amex cards for myself and family members, and the first statement can be as short as 10-14 days after the approval date. Most recent example, a Personal Gold card was applied for on the 10th, approved on the 12th and the first statement was set for the 24th.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:04 pm

I've opened many Amex cards for myself and family members, and the first statement can be as short as 10-14 days after the approval date. Most recent example, a Personal Gold card was applied for on the 10th, approved on the 12th and the first statement was set for the 24th.
Thanks JJJ! In other words, my first statement could be generated even before I receive and activate my card?!?!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Thanks JJJ! In other words, my first statement could be generated even before I receive and activate my card?!?!
I applied for this card while overseas and then totally forgot about it until I received my first statement. Did not activate the card (online) until six weeks later...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:27 am

Yes, in fact margarita girl reported earlier this year that her new Biz SPG card was delayed in arriving, and the first bill cycled with the $150 fee even before she received and activated it. In her case it was due to a long-to-arrive card delay. Here's the link to her post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28106464-post434.html
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:13 am

Yes, in fact margarita girl reported earlier this year that her new Biz SPG card was delayed in arriving, and the first bill cycled with the $150 fee even before she received and activated it. In her case it was due to a long-to-arrive card delay. Here's the link to her post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28106464-post434.html
Yeah, I think if I don't get it by Friday, I'm going to call, just in case these delays are common. I got an instant approval, but I don't trust it 100% - as both times before when I applied for SPG, I had to call in to give more info. This seems too easy.......
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Canadian SPG AMEX user since the inception of this card in Canada. Annual spend anywhere from around $120K a year to now about $30K a year since semi-retirement.

Cancelled my card today. No offer, and about 3 months away from renewal.

Just adding my one datapoint.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Amex begins the clock ticking as soon as they approve the card. It doesn't matter how long it takes for the card to get to you. It doesn't matter whether you activate it much later.

There had been once I didn't get the card after 3 weeks and called. They said it doesn't matter, the 90 -day spent limit is still ticking. A week later, no card. I called, they cancelled the first card and re-issued and send. The clock is still ticking though, and gave less than 2 months to get the spending limit.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
Amex begins the clock ticking as soon as they approve the card. It doesn't matter how long it takes for the card to get to you. It doesn't matter whether you activate it much later.

There had been once I didn't get the card after 3 weeks and called. They said it doesn't matter, the 90 -day spent limit is still ticking. A week later, no card. I called, they cancelled the first card and re-issued and send. The clock is still ticking though, and gave less than 2 months to get the spending limit.
Ugh, okay, I think I'll call today to find out if the card was issued at least, so I know when to expect it. Sounds like customers need to kick start the card printing process!!!!

EDIT: I got my card today, and plan to make my big qualifying spend on the 14th (2 weeks after approval). I really hope that my statement generates later in the week so this spend is on it!!!

Last edited by pokee; Aug 11, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Strange that you weren't provided a retention offer. Perhaps it was the pattern of declining spend...?

I have been seeing less in the way of retention offers from Amex recently. Perhaps these were hurting their bottom line?

Having said that, I did receive a 25k retention offer a few months ago for this card. Spend in previous year was about $300k.

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Canadian SPG AMEX user since the inception of this card in Canada. Annual spend anywhere from around $120K a year to now about $30K a year since semi-retirement.

Cancelled my card today. No offer, and about 3 months away from renewal.

Just adding my one datapoint.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:17 am

I've made over $2000 in spend on my new personal SPG in 4 days! No statement generated yet, but I'm hoping that I get the bonus points on my first one! How long does it typically take to show up on your SPG account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.