Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG,Air Canada aeroplan,
Credit score to get approved for amex

Hi,

does anyone know what credit score you need to get approved for this card? I had some issues 2 years ago but I rebuild my credit since, I'm now at 670 with equifax

Is that enough to get approved or should i wait for it to go up even higher.

any help would be appreciated

Thank you,
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:55 pm

Have any of you tried to negotiate your $30k spend bonus? I'm not interested in the automatic gold status at $30k since I earn Gold from SPG hotel stays. Anyone try getting something else, i.e. points?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by jakemtl
Have any of you tried to negotiate your $30k spend bonus? I'm not interested in the automatic gold status at $30k since I earn Gold from SPG hotel stays. Anyone try getting something else, i.e. points?
that would be amazing, but I've never heard of it. Maybe it adds to leverage when negotiating the annual fee?!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by miles85
YUL,

I hd the same thing happen when I applied for my card a year ago. AMEX had SPG create a new account (even tho I upplied my SPG number on the application). I had to call in and have my accounts merged. Basically they transferred my points from my old account to my new one.

In other news; I just cancelled my card this week (to avoid the annual fee of course) nd will try to get in on this 15K free before the end of March. 15k is a lot of hotels stays pro bono(if you redeem at the right properties)
Yes, it is what happened to me. Problem is, I never received the new number, and the old disappeared and I was not able to access to my account at all. And when I called the agent was just absolutely useless. He didn't even understand my old account was closed and told me "it was a website bug, try latter".
Thanks to William I now have my new number and everything is fixed (but lot of calls and email until that with no resolution). Without FT and William maybe I will still looking for my new number !
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
Getting hit by Amex annually with full credit check does not bother me since besides credit cards I do not use any other credit (mortgage, loans etc.). Therefore minor change in my credit score is meaningless to me. The only downside of churning SPG Amex (cancelling and re-explaining every year) I can see right now is the fact that I may be losing the extended warranty benefit on past purchases. Can Amex do it for that reason?

Why do you thing Amex Canada is letting us cancel the card and reapply basically in the same month, or even overlap two of the same credit cards? They cannot be doing it in order to attract new customers, because otherwise this no-fee offer would not happen second year in the row in the period aroung the SPG Amex Canada rollout anniversary. It would be much easier if they would just match first year offer to higher spenders (I spent 70K+ in this account year), as an appreciation of my business, without the need to reapply and cancel the current card. I could get over 100K annual spending, if my spouse’s supplementary card would be included for free as well.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Can I have both the American AND Canadian cards I've I have dual citizenship?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ariyo15
The requirement is more based on residency rather than citizenship. I've had U.S. credit cards in the past as a U.S. resident, but Canadian citizen. If you only live in Canada, then technically you're not eligible for the U.S. card.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
The requirement is more based on residency rather than citizenship. I've had U.S. credit cards in the past as a U.S. resident, but Canadian citizen. If you only live in Canada, then technically you're not eligible for the U.S. card.
Well, I do spent a significant amount of time both in Philly and in YVR.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ariyo15
do you have a credit file and permanent address in both countries? if you do, my guess is that you can have both.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
do you have a credit file and permanent address in both countries? if you do, my guess is that you can have both.
Yup. Yay! Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:27 pm

Churning Question

Hi all,

Quick question -- when you cancel and reapply for the SPG (perhaps even immediately), do you allow Amex/SPG to generate a new SPG number for you, or does it work to just use the SPG number from your existing SPG account?

Does it matter either way? I mean it would really suck not getting the sign-up bonus.

I've had my Amex SPG for about 6 months but would kind of like to cancel and reapply before the fee-free promo ends in March (and I just referred my parents and hope I get the referral bonus by then). Does anyone know how long the referral bonus takes to post?

Thanks very much!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:51 am

Minimum is 4 months but expect it to take longer ie 6 months.

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Does anyone know how long the referral bonus takes to post?

Thanks very much!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:27 pm
alc

Originally Posted by morphius909
Originally Posted by alc
Is current promo with "1st yr no fee" a target offer? Reason for my question is that I just noticed that I got different offer when I login to my SPG account (Gold) vs my wife SPG account (Basic):

My Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...yf_15_en.shtml

My Wife Account:

http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...ff_15_en.shtml

The only difference is the annual fee not wavied on the one off my wife account. Everything else seems to be the same.

Anyone else noticed this?
It MIGHT be targeted as I had the same situation, but regardless I applied for the No FEe card for my wife as well and it was accepted. Just use the link.
Just want to provide another data point that my wife did got her card last week and she used the non-fee link to apply.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
How does one get the 5,000 referral bonus points?

I have simply just forwarded the link of the 1st year free with 15,000 bonus points website to at least six of my friends and all of them have been granted a new SPG Amex card.

Should I have done it any differently? Can I simply call Amex and have them manually credit me with the referral points?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Just want to provide another data point that my wife did got her card last week and she used the non-fee link to apply.
so both you and your wife each applied for a card and both had fee waived and both received 15,000 bonus points?

how does one get the referral bonus? do you think they'd pay it if I referred by husband?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.