FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Canadian SPG American Express (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1056056-canadian-spg-american-express.html)

Braindrain Jan 2, 2010 11:44 am

Welcome to FT.

a) 40K SPG points are potentially worth far more than $500.
b) The $ from Drivers Edge MC can only be used for a car purchase, IIRC.
c) I hate using gift cards. Hate. I've got enough cards already. Don't need to add another 5-10.

The SPG cards are great for those who travel. Unfortunately, the options you've provided aren't travel oriented.

If you want cash-back, there are better CC than Blue Sky.

Jiangsu Jan 2, 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by ohcanada (Post 13047469)
It's odd to me to see all the comments about not being able to use Amex. I have an Amex Plat and an AeroPlat and my wife and I do the vast majority of our spending ($150K+ annually) on the Plat card. We have a CIBC Aerogold Visa for those places where Amex doesn't work, but in my experience it's 90/10 acceptance/rejection.

Still don't know what I will do about the SPG Amex. SPG points are much more valuable than MR or Aeroplan points, so $100/year for the SPG Amex is a far better deal than $400 for Amex Plat. On the other hand, I want the lounge access and other benefits of the Plat and AeroPlat. Oh, the dilemma! :rolleyes:

ohcanada, Totally agree with the acceptance/rejection point. Me too, I put all the big charges to my amex aeroplan gold card.

If I were you, I would keep the Platinum card, I will get the amex spg as well, just to put all the hotel charges to the card. ^

Braindrain Jan 2, 2010 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jiangsu (Post 13097592)
ohcanada, Totally agree with the acceptance/rejection point. Me too, I put all the big charges to my amex aeroplan gold card.

I see the argument for Amex Plat.

However, I don't see that argument for Amex AP Gold. You only get 1.25x after $10K on the Amex whereas you can get 1.25x just on the normal SPG->AP transfer.

yscleo Jan 5, 2010 11:52 pm

So there's still no news on whether there's a fee.

There are so many places I shop that don't take Amex. Loblaws, RCSS, No Frills, Price Chopper, my dentist, T&T, and most restaurants I go to. So after the MBNA SPG MC, I'll be looking for another MC.

If there's a fee for this new AMex, I may not get it.

passport Jan 6, 2010 7:47 am

Originally Posted by yscleo (Post 13122092)

There are so many places I shop that don't take Amex. Loblaws, RCSS, No Frills, Price Chopper, my dentist, T&T, and most restaurants I go to. So after the MBNA SPG MC, I'll be looking for another MC.

If there's a fee for this new AMex, I may not get it.

I agree with the limited availablity and I too shop at many of the same stores you've listed. I think it's a given that there will be a fee (there is a fee for the US version and I can't believe it will be free in Canada) and that is what will drive my decision to get this card or not.

pointswhore Jan 6, 2010 1:49 pm

Been reading this thread with great interest - here's my 2 cents:

Unlike many, I was actually very pleased to hear about this new card. MBNA has terrible service - they're so tight at managing risk, often at the cardholder's expense (ever try using the MBNA card internationally, just to have it rejected because they think it's out of pattern - good luck getting through to someone if their call centre's closed - don't know how many times that's happened to me - and all I do for a living is travel so they should see a pattern as I've had the card since it launched - anyhow, enough ranting on that point).

Yes, AMEX isn't as widely accepted, so Visa/MC would be preferred, but I'm not that fussed about it - it's certainly accepted in more places than it's not accepted (just use another points card for those places - don't most people keep more than 1 card?).

The 1pt per $1 spent is what appealled instantly to me, but of course we'll have to see what that really ends up looking like (after bonuses/annual fee is considered) - at least the MBNA card had the 5K bonuses at different spending thresholds - hope AMEX does that to some degree.

Based on my spending, I think it'll be better than MBNA, even with an annual fee. I see the logic of the member who did the math and avoids fee cards at all costs, but agree with the other member who said that 40K SPG points is worth more than $500 - that's at least 3 nights at a cat 5! or 5 nights at a cat 4 - depends on your travel patterns, I suppose.

I don't care about interest rates, as I never carry a balance (I suspect like most folks on here), so that's not a concern. I do care about the F/X rate though. I didn't think MBNA's was too bad (at least compared with my Diners/MC) - not sure how AMEX will fare in that regard - if the premium is noticeably high, I'll stick with a different points card.

Anyhow, overall, I'm quite happy with the change and looking forward to tearing up my MBNA card.

pwrshift Jan 7, 2010 10:07 am

I will never forget checking out of SPG's Danieli hotel in Venice with my MBNA SPG card which was refused ... with people behind me in earshot. I pulled out my Amex card and it went through without problems.

When I got home there was a message on voicemail from the fraud dept of MBNA -- they stopped use of my card because earlier that day I bought a 20 euro DVD of Venice in a bookstore there ... and this apparently happened because I didn't advise MBNA before my trip that I was going to Italy. I've never had to inform Amex of where I was travelling.

So I won't be unhappy to see that card go either. On the other hand, I'll have to use my BMO MC card more frequently as Amex isn't accepted universally...and I already have two Amex cards. I think SPG will be the loser in this change.

YLW Jan 7, 2010 10:30 am

My MBNA mastercard was refused at a Vancouver Marriott. The desk clerk was sympathetic, and when I asked to talk with the CSR, she said it was because I was 'out of town'. Either their geographic area is very limited, or they don't have a mapping database. Vancouver is a one hour flight or 4 hour drive from my home. Sheesh, it's a travel card.

As for exchange rates, I prefer the AMEX format, where they show me the rate they use. Math is not tough, but it's a nuisance to need to run through the MBNA bill to see what rate they used on different days of a trip.

digitalsky Jan 13, 2010 1:38 am

Hi all, first post here.

I'm an SPG points collector myself, so I'm looking forward to this AMEX card in March. The $1/point is definitely great compared to MBNA, I just hope the annual fee isn't too high - since I don't spend that much (40-50k a year?) so if it's too high then I might stay with my other cash back card.

I really hope the card looks better than the one shown in the webpage though... one of the ugliest card I've seen.:td:

kups Jan 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo (Post 13122092)

If there's a fee for this new AMEX, I may not get it.

I completely agree with this as well. I use my AMEX Platinum everywhere I can and my Starwood Mastercard at the above locations.....

Same dilemma for me - Is it worth giving up my lounge access to get the SPG AMEX? I am still undecided.

The real question is, if I do make the switch I will put all purchases on my SPG AMEX, but what FREE credit card (Visa or MC) should I get for places that don't take AMEX? Any ideas on the best free credit card in Canada?

dnotes Jan 20, 2010 7:33 am

what if the SPG Amex came with more perks?

What if the SPG Amex came with lounge access, at the cost of a higher fee?

I'd kinda prefer the best of both worlds? Esp. since Amex Canada has Aeroplan on board with them already…

Wishful thinking on my part?

YLW Jan 20, 2010 8:23 am

Originally Posted by kups (Post 13215165)
The real question is, if I do make the switch I will put all purchases on my SPG AMEX, but what FREE credit card (Visa or MC) should I get for places that don't take AMEX? Any ideas on the best free credit card in Canada?

http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcreditcard2009.html

The links in this article give the most complete Canadian credit card comparisons I have seen. However, I don't agree with his top choices. Just because a card is popular doesn't mean it is good.

What's best also depends on where you live and your travel patterns. For Western Canadians, the free SaveOn Visa (in its own strange way, it's a travel card--read the redemption page on AS awards) and the AS Mastercard combine to make a winning team. Although the AS MC isn't free, the benefits more than pay for the card. But I will still miss the flexibility of SPG points, so expect I will get the new card.

tkyoshi Jan 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by dnotes (Post 13217444)
What if the SPG Amex came with lounge access, at the cost of a higher fee?

I'd kinda prefer the best of both worlds? Esp. since Amex Canada has Aeroplan on board with them already…

Wishful thinking on my part?

Probably, I don't think Aeroplan would be very happy considering their relationship with AMEX in Canada.

will5404 Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by pwrshift (Post 13132709)
I will never forget checking out of SPG's Danieli hotel in Venice with my MBNA SPG card which was refused ... with people behind me in earshot. I pulled out my Amex card and it went through without problems.

When I got home there was a message on voicemail from the fraud dept of MBNA -- they stopped use of my card because earlier that day I bought a 20 euro DVD of Venice in a bookstore there ... and this apparently happened because I didn't advise MBNA before my trip that I was going to Italy. I've never had to inform Amex of where I was travelling.

So I won't be unhappy to see that card go either. On the other hand, I'll have to use my BMO MC card more frequently as Amex isn't accepted universally...and I already have two Amex cards. I think SPG will be the loser in this change.

Funny, I travel to the USA frequently and last year I visited Australia and Japan. Never told MBNA I was heading out of country, never had a problem with the card being declined.

caribbeansun Jan 26, 2010 11:49 am

Credit limit?

Just curious about something which may not have a standard answer - I've never dealt with Amex before on a personal level and will likely sign up for the new card when it gets launched.

I can't imagine they'll base the credit limit on the old MC limit which was a value that worked for me. I noticed postings on the US thread about $3k and $5k limits and now I'm wondering if this is the norm until you've built credit history with Amex?

Anyone have any input based on their personal experience?