Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 8:11 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by morphius909
Is anyone doing the following?

Apply, use, collect 11,000 points...wait 3 months..write company and cancel card. Voila.

Any Thoughts?
There are definitely people doing that. My thoughts are:
  • Your credit does take a hit every time you apply for a card so you need to take care how many times you do this sort of thing.
  • By cancelling
  • You'd be missing out on a great way to get points to a great program.
  • I understand that not everyone can justify the annual fee next year, but why not use it for the year rather than cancelling right away?
  • You are NOT improving your credit situation by cancelling because having a credit card does not hurt your credit, even though one might think it would "hurt" to have another credit source available to you.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:15 am
JWL

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Does AMEX gives any breaks on the fee if I decided that either they drop/reduce the fee or else I'm canceling? I would do this close to the full year and might have some decent spending on the card.
Nobody has any experience with the Canadian version yet, but this doesn't seem to happen with the US version (there is a thread on this somewhere in FT). When I scanned it a while back I recall that some people seem to be able to get a few thousand points but that is it.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:23 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JWL
The introductory offer of fee-free first year and 11,000 bonus points expires on May 31!! So it is down to the last few days to get in on it.
Yes, just a reminder...

There are just a few days left to take advantage of this limited time offer.

URL: www.spg.com/canadacreditcard

Below are details:

The New Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Credit Card from American Express.

EARN 11,000 BONUS STARPOINTS enough for up to 3 free nights.(2) -- OFFER ENDS MAY 31.

Plus, get the Card free for the first year -- a savings of CDN$120.* For an annual fee of only CDN$50 each, you can share many of the benefits of Card membership with someone close to you with a Supplementary Card. The annual interest rate is 19.99%.*

This offer ends May 31, 2010. To receive this offer, you must apply for the Card using the Apply Now link, and enter RSVP Code 11000 when prompted.

Best regards,

William
Old May 27, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Codes no longer work

Neither the 11000 or 11111 codes are working for Personal or Business cards, respectively. Both now get the error message of "We are sorry but we are unable to start the application process as the information you have entered does not match our records. Please check again and re-enter."

Seems that the system is only accepting the codes for the 10k in points on first use, not the better 11k promo.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:40 am
JWL

Originally Posted by pkeung
Neither the 11000 or 11111 codes are working for Personal or Business cards, respectively.
There was a problem with their system yesterday but it was fixed by the evening and both 11000 and 11111 work now.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:43 am
JWL

Last day to apply and get the introductory offer (no fee for first year, 11K bonus points when you spend $1K in the first three months)
Old May 31, 2010, 12:53 pm

Earning SPG points

I just got my SPG Amex statement and noticed that the SPG points that I earned (not the bonus) is less than my new balance. I also noticed that I didn't get any points for the supplementary card fee from the previous statement.

Any idea on this? I thought I will "Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card" as long as my account is in good standing. Something smells fishy here.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:15 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by PlatinumGuest
I just got my SPG Amex statement and noticed that the SPG points that I earned (not the bonus) is less than my new balance. I also noticed that I didn't get any points for the supplementary card fee from the previous statement.

Any idea on this? I thought I will "Earn 1 Starpoint for every $1 in purchases charged to the Card" as long as my account is in good standing. Something smells fishy here.
The supplementary card fee is a FEE, not a purchase. So in the 2nd year, at least to me, I am looking at 120 free + 50 supplimentary fee for this card.

If there are refunds to the account, then points are adjusted accordingly it seems.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My statement closed on the 17th and my points still have not posted to my spg account.. does anyone else have the same issue?
Old May 31, 2010, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by schnitzer
My statement closed on the 17th and my points still have not posted to my spg account.. does anyone else have the same issue?
Yeah I had the same problem. Did you check on the last page of your statement whether your Starpoints earned this month is the same as your new balance?

Looks like Amex rounded down the points per transaction. Even that I still got less than that. Don't tell me if I do not get the points for the tips/gratuities from the transactions.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:49 pm
JWL

Originally Posted by schnitzer
Ya, I had that issue. Although I entered my SPG # in the application process, they ended up issuing a new number and the points were in that account. Call Amex and ask them for your SPG #. They can also arrange to change your Amex records to your new number and transfer the points to your old SPG account.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:16 pm

No problems with the points + bonus 11000 posting to the account promptly.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
No problems getting the card a month ago, but still waiting to get the points. Will give them another 2 weeks and then call if points are not posting.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:57 pm

Thumbs down Delay in Starpoints posting?

Has anyone else experienced a delay in Starpoints posting to SPG? According to the Amex monthly statements, Starpoints earned on the card "will be transferred to SPG in the next few days". However, it's now been two weeks since my May Amex statement and the Starpoints have still not shown up at SPG.

In contrast, the Starpoints from spending on my April statement (in addition to the bonus Starpoints) posted the very next day after that statement was issued.

I paid the balance on both statements in full by the due date, so the delay has nothing to do with whether my account is in good standing. And Amex does have my correct SPG number on file, as I received the points from April.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bacan
Has anyone else experienced a delay in Starpoints posting to SPG? According to the Amex monthly statements, Starpoints earned on the card "will be transferred to SPG in the next few days". However, it's now been two weeks since my May Amex statement and the Starpoints have still not shown up at SPG.

In contrast, the Starpoints from spending on my April statement (in addition to the bonus Starpoints) posted the very next day after that statement was issued.

I paid the balance on both statements in full by the due date, so the delay has nothing to do with whether my account is in good standing. And Amex does have my correct SPG number on file, as I received the points from April.
+1 Having exactly the same experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.