Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 8:00 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by blueline7
I am suffering from this. I hesitate to present my SPG Amex at lets say, an IC. Anybody else have this issue? I feel it will affect my treatment and/or be offensive....
I would just show my VISA.

Your case is like brining a picture of Jesus into a Islamic Temple.

It sure doesn't encourage any staff at IC to go beyond their call of duty knowing that you already branded with their competitors.

Show your VISA shows you haven't decided which chain is the best. Showing your branded SPG AMEX, tells them you're one of the faithful/ goner and there's no need to convince you anymore.
Old May 21, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I am suffering from this. I hesitate to present my SPG Amex at lets say, an IC. Anybody else have this issue? I feel it will affect my treatment and/or be offensive....
Present your Visa when checking in, when checking out and they ask what card to put your stay on give them the Amex.

Likewise if its prepaid, prepay with your Amex than give a visa for incidentals. I doubt it matters much either way though.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is your spg# showing on your AMEX card or statement?

Is your spg# showing on your AMEX card or statement? We cannot find the spg# and just curious if this is the same for everyone too.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2010, 4:40 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Seriously? You figure the person that does the check-in will spread the word throughout the hotel staff on who you are and that you used an SPG related CC so that they can go out of their way to give you substandard service?

Are you also worried that Amex will see you stayed at an IC and report you to SPG so they would track you when you stay at SPG properties and treat you badly too?

Last edited by JWL; May 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm
Old May 22, 2010, 7:13 am

Yes, I know, however given the fact that each CC company chooses their own rate to convert at I don't trust them to necessarily be "fair" in that treatment and depending on the size of the transaction it can be meaningful, hence the reason for testing even a simple conversion.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Buying in US dollars using should be just as good as using VISA since AMEX converts US dollars to CAD dollars directly.

The pain comes when you buy stuff outside of US dollars or CAD dollars.

Let say I get something in Yen, VISA changes it from Yen to CAD dollars. You lose once on rate change.

AMEX does 2 conversions, it changes Yen to US dollars and then US dollars to Canadian dollars. So you lose twice on rate exchange.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by So Pang
Is your spg# showing on your AMEX card or statement? We cannot find the spg# and just curious if this is the same for everyone too.

Thanks!
No, wasn't on my statement. However, SPG points got credited correctly. ^
Old May 22, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: oz*g, spg plat
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Buying in US dollars using should be just as good as using VISA since AMEX converts US dollars to CAD dollars directly.

The pain comes when you buy stuff outside of US dollars or CAD dollars.

Let say I get something in Yen, VISA changes it from Yen to CAD dollars. You lose once on rate change.

AMEX does 2 conversions, it changes Yen to US dollars and then US dollars to Canadian dollars. So you lose twice on rate exchange.
another data point:

i just came back from a singapore/malaysia trip and flip-flopped between my mbna travel rewards card (mastercard) and the spg amex. i wasn't sure whether the rate given was for the day that it was spent, or for the day that it was posted, so i included both here.

singapore:
purchase date of may 6: mbna = 1.295 sgd/cad, amex = 1.313 sgd/cad
posted date of may 7: mbna = 1.295 sgd/cad, amex = 1.307 sgd/cad
money changer rate = ~1.345 sgd/cad

malaysia:
purchase date of may 11: mbna = 3.024rm/cad, amex = 3.044rm/cad.
posted date of may 12: mbna = 3.024rm/cad, amex = 3.038rm/cad.
money changer rate = ~3.10 rm/cad

it looked to me like using my amex would give me more of their currency for every cad i spent, i.e., a more favourable conversion rate. or maybe i've misinterpreted?
Old May 23, 2010, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
trust me they dont care! dont notice and if they did might realize they better treat you better as you are in other hotel programs..
Old May 25, 2010, 1:25 pm
JWL

Originally Posted by psych
another data point:

i just came back from a singapore/malaysia trip and flip-flopped between my mbna travel rewards card (mastercard) and the spg amex. i wasn't sure whether the rate given was for the day that it was spent, or for the day that it was posted, so i included both here.

singapore:

malaysia:

it looked to me like using my amex would give me more of their currency for every cad i spent, i.e., a more favourable conversion rate. or maybe i've misinterpreted?
Looks to me like you have it right. Thanks for experimenting for us!
Old May 25, 2010, 6:34 pm
JWL

The introductory offer of fee-free first year and 11,000 bonus points expires on May 31!! So it is down to the last few days to get in on it.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:37 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by psych
another data point:

singapore:

malaysia:

I was confused when the results coming in is a mix bag. It seems charging AMEX with Yen & British Pounds is more expensive with AMEX than VISA/Mastercard. But charging Singapore Dollars and Indonesian Dollars are cheaper! US dollars is only 1 conversion so it appears AMEX has the edge on rates.

I gone through a sample (taken from TD VISA) card agreement of their TD Platinum Travel VISA card. It's seems TD bank's agreement gives the most honest answer but CIBC or Royal Bank didn't say so much, but I suspect they are similar.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/pdf/pltravel.pdf <-- link

On page three of the Foreign Currency Transaction section:

"If you use the Account to make Purchases or obtain Cash Advances in U.S. Dollars, Euros, Great British Pounds, Australian Dollars, or Mexican Pesos, the foreign currency will be converted directly to Canadian Dollars before it is recorded in the Account.

If you use the Account to make Purchases or obtain Cash Advances in any other foreign currency, the currency will be first converted to U.S. Dollars and
then to Canadian Dollars before it is recorded in the Account.
"

So... things are getting clearer!

Anything major currencies such as Euros, British Pounds, Australian Dollars or Mexican Pesos (?! really? Pesos?), Japanese Yen (?), go with VISA/Mastercard.

For everything else, including US dollars go AMEX!

Last edited by yeunganson; May 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm
Old May 25, 2010, 7:21 pm

I assure you no one will notice or care.

Cheers,
Old May 25, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
This is very tempting.

Is anyone doing the following?

Apply, use, collect 11,000 points...wait 3 months..write company and cancel card.

Voila.

Any Thoughts?
Old May 26, 2010, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by morphius909
This is very tempting.

Is anyone doing the following?

Apply, use, collect 11,000 points...wait 3 months..write company and cancel card.

Voila.

Any Thoughts?
Why? In Canada the fee is waived for the first year. Why cancel after 3 months?

Also, don't think such a stunt wouldn't be noted somehwere on your credit record.

Cheers,
Old May 26, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Does AMEX gives any breaks on the fee if I decided that either they drop/reduce the fee or else I'm canceling? I would do this close to the full year and might have some decent spending on the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.