Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:46 am

Calgary here. Applied April 7, Approved immediately, card arrived April 13.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Got mine yesterday and hit the $1k spending mark I was a little pushy about getting it because of some pending items that needed to be taken care of. So far everywhere I've gone has accepted it including my insurance company which was the nice one for me.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:32 am

Just for fun I was looking around the AMEX site today and found the following (only good in the US unfortunately):

"Earn rewards when you pay your taxes with any eligible enrolled American Express Card, it's fast, easy and convenient"

Kind of highlights one of the differences in our two countries...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:44 am

Just retrieved my first online Amex statement for this card. The bonus points are correctly indicated on the statement and they will post along with points from my monthly spending "in the next few days". ^

My annual reset date is a random date in the week of April 5 which is after my application was accepted but before I received and activated the card. I'm guessing it was the day that my card was mailed out.

It sure is nice to be earning Starpoints again.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bacan

It sure is nice to be earning Starpoints again.

+1^
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Live in Ontario. Applied on Mar 30 and approved in 60-seconds and still no card.

My wife applied for a separate (not supplementary) on Mar 30 but didn't get approved online so called Amex on Mar 31 and got approved. She got her card on Thursday.

Called Amex -- my card and my wife's card were printed the same day. Good old Canada Post.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
You're not the only guy who applied on Mar 30 and still doesn't have his card.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Ditto. Applied on Mar 30 and was approved Apr 6 and still no cards... I called AMEX today and they are sending out replacement cards. However, they only say that they will arrive within 10 business days (which probably puts me into May). Not exactly a smooth transition between the old and the new...

I still don't understand why the online process didn't immediately say that they would be able to approve people in a few minutes as was advertised...

Oh well, AMEX's loss - but my loss of SPG points as well...

Singlepoint
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Vasyl
Can somebody else to confirm this?
Nope. We have checked with Amex and not even they have an idea about this info.

Anyway, this member has only made one post so far so it is up to you to believe it or not.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: JGC
Thank you, Thyetus, for checking it out.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by mitsou_jpn
Thank you, Thyetus, for checking it out.
+1^
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:19 pm

Bonus and spending points posted today! ^^

Sorry, don't mean to gloat and I know there are people who haven't received cards yet. Just wanted to share the good news.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by bacan
Bonus and spending points posted today! ^^

Sorry, don't mean to gloat and I know there are people who haven't received cards yet. Just wanted to share the good news.
The good news indead.^
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Well.. If it makes you feel better, my mom and I applied on launch day Mar 30. It was approved online. Netiher the main card nor the supplimentary card arrived yet and maybe because the address is in Vancouver, BC.

I have 2 week trip in Asia starting this Saturday. I really hope to be able to use that AMEX and get the through the $1000 threshold.

Also, anyone know if you buy things using paypal (in non-US/non-Canadian dollar purchase), is it a better deal to use the AMEX conversion or is it better to just use the paypal one?

I know AMEX will first convert the foreign currency to US dollars (you lose some here) then Canadian dollars (lose again some here). Then add 2.5% conversion rate charge.... I think paypal's own conversion is like a 5% markup?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.