Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by JWL

If you want the spend $1K over 3 months for 11000 SPG points, enter through the SPG site and use the redemption code "11000".
I wonder if the 11K points will post after one month if you spend over $1K in that first month?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Great White North
If, for example, a Hilton VISA shows up on the scene with a lower annual fee, I'd probably drop this card.
Can you read my dreams? However, I am really grateful for the first year free - it will allow me to wrap up my business with SPG nicely and painlessly.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
[Moderator enters ...]

I have moved this in an attempt to keep discussion of the SPG credit cards in the Starwood section.

[...moderator exits]
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Great White North
I wonder if the 11K points will post after one month if you spend over $1K in that first month?
Probably. I applied for the SPG Aerogold CC with the 20K bonus. I blew through the $1K spend within a few days and all points/bonuses posted within the 1st cycle.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:04 pm

whoa...expensive annual fee ... since it is free for the first year like the US-based card, i somehow see the reapplication rate on these cards to be 11 mos 30 days... cancel and reapply (haha...which is probably for any other cards as well)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Probably. I applied for the SPG Aerogold CC with the 20K bonus.
Wow, this card would be GREAT!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JWL
Personally, I buy out of province medical from TD separately. Covers the whole family for $162 annually, and does not require that we go to our out of province destination on a flight purchased on a specific credit card (that's the only time the CC insurance is in effect). I travel by car frequently enough to the US or Quebec that having coverage all the time is good value to me.
The above is not correct re: RBC Avion Infinite. See under Out of Country:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cards/tr...-infinite.html

There is no requirement for anything to be purchased on the card. You can drive over and be covered. I suspect they will want proof of departure date in some form if you make a claim to establish the 15 days of coverage.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The above is not correct re: RBC Avion Infinite. See under Out of Country:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cards/tr...-infinite.html

There is no requirement for anything to be purchased on the card. You can drive over and be covered. I suspect they will want proof of departure date in some form if you make a claim to establish the 15 days of coverage.
Nor do I think it is correct for the CIBC aerogold. Thats why I dropped the bought policy.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I assume no rules in applying for both.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:00 pm
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The above is not correct re: RBC Avion Infinite. See under Out of Country.
Originally Posted by CDNtravler
Nor do I think it is correct for the CIBC aerogold. Thats why I dropped the bought policy.
My misunderstanding. I've removed my comments so that they don't point someone in the wrong direction.

I had a quick look through the RBC terms and it looks like the only "hole" in coverage would be if your kids traveled without the cardholder.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Vasyl
Wow, this card would be GREAT!
Oops. Amex Aerogold.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Just applied through the apply now link on the 11000 bonus email I received. I was approved instantly, but my credit limit is less than 1/4 of what it was on the SPG Mastercard. How are you supposed to earn points like that? I called and spoke to a rather condescending woman who treated me like I was trying to cheat them and said I could apply for an increase in 6 months!?!?! I felt like cancelling the card on the spot! I will probably work through my bonuses and do just that!

Any one have a similar experience or is it just me? I think the low limit is probably due to the fact that I keep an AMEX card right now just to use at Costco, so it doesn't get much use.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JWL
I see. It sounds like a disconnect.

If you want the spend $1K over 3 months for 11000 SPG points, enter through the SPG site and use the redemption code "11000".

If you want the 10000 SPG points on first use, enter through the Amex site.
I think you'll find the amex site offer is not first year free! The 11k plus first year free appears to only be available on the spg site
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC SE
Originally Posted by pointswhore
I can see some liking the Gold status comp, but like many of us Plats, don't really need it.
Agreed! It would have been nice if they offered another option for Gold / Platinum members who earn their status through stays / nights. Some options would be:
1) Give Gold status to a family/friend
2) Upgrade to Platinum if you already are Gold
3) Free Cat 5-6 night

Those would be nice thank-you's to people who already are loyal to SPG and also spend on the card.

Like many others, with no annual fee, the offer is too good to pass-up. I'll cancel a year from now ... AMEX is probably hoping none of us put the anniversary date in our calendars and forget to cancel.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by cdn_rd
Like many others, with no annual fee, the offer is too good to pass-up. I'll cancel a year from now ... AMEX is probably hoping none of us put the anniversary date in our calendars and forget to cancel.
You're probably right. However, I've already got "review AMEX account" stuck in my calendar 51 weeks from today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.