Canadian SPG American Express

Closed Thread

Old Mar 31, 10, 9:26 am

Programs: A Few
Approved.

Had to call in. Reason given was that I already had a high credit limit Costco Amex and needed to split the credit limit between the 2 cards.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:32 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Just received the email. Not surprisingly the info is the same as we webpage.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:38 am

I got the email as well. Not sure if I'm going to apply yet or not as it definitely seems lacking in several areas.

I find it amusing reading through the discussions of the "positioning" of this card as being for frequent travellers and to compete with Aerogold and Avion, yet Amex has set the minimum income for this card at $15k! My plain old AeroplanPlus Gold has an income requirement of $30k.

So much for any prestige factor with this card.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
I got the email as well. Not sure if I'm going to apply yet or not as it definitely seems lacking in several areas.

I find it amusing reading through the discussions of the "positioning" of this card as being for frequent travellers and to compete with Aerogold and Avion, yet Amex has set the minimum income for this card at $15k! My plain old AeroplanPlus Gold has an income requirement of $30k.

So much for any prestige factor with this card.
I do not care for the prestige factor, but lack of trip cancellation/interruption and medical insurance is the biggest downside to me for $170 in annual fees.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Vasyl View Post
I do not care for the prestige factor, but lack of trip cancellation/interruption and medical insurance is the biggest downside to me for $170 in annual fees.
Agreed Vasyl, the aesthetics of a card and any perceived prestige mean nothing to me either. I only mention that because one of the reasons given for the high annual fee was to position this card against other popular travel cards like Aerogold, Avion etc, all of whom have income requirements double or more of this card. And, as you said, lacking several of the included benefits of those cards as well. I guess my point was, this card is positioned to compete with those cards in cost only.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:52 am

So the card is now effectively almost four times the cost of the US version for a married couple (CAD 120 plus 50 for a supplementary card vs. USD 45 for the US card with fee supplementary cards). All that with a poorer insurance package than I have with one of my no-fee cards.

I just applied for a card for myself and one for my wife. We'll take the bonuses, rack up a bunch of Starpoints, cancel the cards before the annual renewal, burn our Starpoints, and move on. Sorry, Amex and Starwood, but I can't justify spending $170 a year on what you're offering here.
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:57 am

Is the RSVP code unique to the person the offer is made to or is it generic? if it is generic can somebody please post the RSVP code?
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur View Post
So the card is now effectively almost four times the cost of the US version for a married couple (CAD 120 plus 50 for a supplementary card vs. USD 45 for the US card with fee supplementary cards). All that with a poorer insurance package than I have with one of my no-fee cards.

I just applied for a card for myself and one for my wife. We'll take the bonuses, rack up a bunch of Starpoints, cancel the cards before the annual renewal, burn our Starpoints, and move on. Sorry, Amex and Starwood, but I can't justify spending $170 a year on what you're offering here.
I feel that you are not going to be alone.
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ramsfan View Post
mine took the 60 seconds to approve.

For those worried about the charge for extra card, for first year its not an issue. Just get the other person(s) to get their own card(s) (its free afterall this year) and they can transer their spg points to you (where the points are presumably more useful assumoing u have more spg status) if at same address. That means more bonus points for more joiners as well.

My first thought exactly! Can anyone confirm that points can be transferred between spouses? My interpretation of SPG.COM rules is that the transfer has to be between accounts held by the same individual.
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:34 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by fwttg View Post
My first thought exactly! Can anyone confirm that points can be transferred between spouses? My interpretation of SPG.COM rules is that the transfer has to be between accounts held by the same individual.
SPG allows transfers between spouses and I believe other household members. SPG requires that addresses are the same to transfer points.
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:48 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
My approach is use it free for the 11,000 point bonus, then cancel (or threaten to cancel to waive the fee the next year)
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
SPG allows transfers between spouses and I believe other household members. SPG requires that addresses are the same to transfer points.

Thank you, yycworldtraveler!

That would seem to be the way we'll go since there's no initial cost. After a year of finding where we can and can't use the cards we'll decide if Amex makes sense for us.
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:54 am
JWL

Originally Posted by bashateg View Post
Is the RSVP code unique to the person the offer is made to or is it generic? if it is generic can somebody please post the RSVP code?
It is not unique. Anyone can use 11000 for the personal card, or 11111 for the business card.
Old Mar 31, 10, 11:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Blue, Hertz, Airmiles
Since this is a brand new card, I would expect the CHIP. Anyone know? All cards in Canada will have a CHIP by next year, most already do.
Old Mar 31, 10, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER View Post
Since this is a brand new card, I would expect the CHIP. Anyone know? All cards in Canada will have a CHIP by next year, most already do.
If it doesn't then it will by next year. Based on the picture I would say no.

Search this Thread