Canadian SPG American Express

Closed Thread

Old Mar 2, 19, 4:07 am
  #2296  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,804
Originally Posted by vd0t View Post
Would I still get the 60k welcome bonus if I apply via GCR?
Yes.
margarita girl is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 4:39 am
  #2297  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Prince Edward Island
Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
Posts: 1,354
If you are a current SPG Amex card holder(CDN) do you need to apply for the new Bonvoy card or does it come to you automatically? Do I have to stop using my card?
Just keep using your SPG card. They will eventually send you one with the new name and graphics on it (not sure if that will happen soon or if they will wait until renewal) but the account #, on-line access etc, should all stay the same. They are just rebranding the existing cards, not cancelling them and requiring everyone to reapply for the new cards.
Low Roller is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:13 am
  #2298  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: YUL
Programs: AC E35K, Marriott PP
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
I have a friend who is interested in this card. Would she still get the 15 Elite nights for 2019 if she applied now? Iím guessing yes, but was wondering if anyone knows for sure.
From the footnotes on Amex, she will get them for 2019 as they mention the approval date:
To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Cardmember, your Card Account must be in good standing at the time of the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy program account. To receive the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, your Card Account must be linked to a Marriott Bonvoy program account in your name. You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account or have more than one Marriott Bonvoy program account. American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit. It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account.
margarita girl likes this.
lewis_m is offline  
Old Mar 3, 19, 5:49 pm
  #2299  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Posts: 517
The U.S. American Express Marriott Bonvoy card has a promotion for the rest of 2019 where every $25K spent earns 25K Marriott Bonvoy bonus points up to 100K Marriott Bonvoy points. Has anyone heard if the Canadian Amex Marriott Bonvoy card has the same promotion or are Canadians getting screwed?
Canada101 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 19, 10:30 pm
  #2300  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YOW & YUL
Programs: AC P25K
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Canada101 View Post
The U.S. American Express Marriott Bonvoy card has a promotion for the rest of 2019 where every $25K spent earns 25K Marriott Bonvoy bonus points up to 100K Marriott Bonvoy points. Has anyone heard if the Canadian Amex Marriott Bonvoy card has the same promotion or are Canadians getting screwed?
Not sure how 25k MB points for $25k in purchases is a promo. Looking at Amex US site, both the personal MB Amex and Small Business Amex offer 100k MB points for $5k of purchases in 1st 3 months. Amex Canada has increased the bonus from 50k MR points to 60k MB points after $1.5k of purchases in 1st 3 months (I got my card in Dec 2018, still with 50k promo). The Personal MB Amex in US is actually a Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (MBB) card with a $450 annual fee and many extras. It comes with a built-in Priority Pass Select membership for world-wide unlimited lounge access and 2 guests, up to $300 Marriott Bonvoy Credit annually, Gold Elite status and upgrade to Platinum Elite after $75k in purchases in calendar year. The Small Business version has a $125 annual fee waived for 1st year, then $95 annually, Silver Elite status and upgrade to gold after $35k in calendar year.

Last edited by *Fan; Mar 3, 19 at 10:59 pm Reason: correction
*Fan is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:17 am
  #2301  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto vicinity
Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Posts: 11,804
Originally Posted by *Fan View Post
Not sure how 25k MB points for $25k in purchases is a promo. Looking at Amex US site, both the personal MB Amex and Small Business Amex offer 100k MB points for $5k of purchases in 1st 3 months. Amex Canada has increased the bonus from 50k MR points to 60k MB points after $1.5k of purchases in 1st 3 months (I got my card in Dec 2018, still with 50k promo). The Personal MB Amex in US is actually a Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (MBB) card with a $450 annual fee and many extras. It comes with a built-in Priority Pass Select membership for world-wide unlimited lounge access and 2 guests, up to $300 Marriott Bonvoy Credit annually, Gold Elite status and upgrade to Platinum Elite after $75k in purchases in calendar year. The Small Business version has a $125 annual fee waived for 1st year, then $95 annually, Silver Elite status and upgrade to gold after $35k in calendar year.
Itís not a sign up bonus. Iíve had the US card for several years and was given that offer. I presume itís meant to make up for the lower earnings since weíve been bonvoyed.
margarita girl is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:52 am
  #2302  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Canada101 View Post
The U.S. American Express Marriott Bonvoy card has a promotion for the rest of 2019 where every $25K spent earns 25K Marriott Bonvoy bonus points up to 100K Marriott Bonvoy points. Has anyone heard if the Canadian Amex Marriott Bonvoy card has the same promotion or are Canadians getting screwed?
You won't be screwed until they convert your Canadian Spend to a USD equivalent and credit based on that.

You are already getting 30%+ more points on a USD equivalency.

James at the St. Regis Bora Bora.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:26 am
  #2303  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 201
I did the $7500 for 8000 points that was targeted. I haven't been targeted for anything else by AMEX at this point. I won't be going for 25k though, as my next set of spend will be 1500 for an AMEX Bonvoy Business card for the 50-60k points. That is a much better return on my spend
Handcake is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:38 pm
  #2304  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 333
I have a personal SPG card coming up for renewal in April, which I will likely cancel.

Any idea if I can: 1) refer myself to a business version Marriott card and get 10K referral bonus if approved and 2) get 60K welcome bonus from the business Marriott card? I have not previously owned the business version before.

Thanks!
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:08 pm
  #2305  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Prince Edward Island
Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
I have a personal SPG card coming up for renewal in April, which I will likely cancel.

Any idea if I can: 1) refer myself to a business version Marriott card and get 10K referral bonus if approved and 2) get 60K welcome bonus from the business Marriott card? I have not previously owned the business version before.

Thanks!
Yes, you should get both the 10K referral bonus + the 61K sign-up bonus. I self-referred from the SPG personal to SPG business and got both bonuses. That was before the Bonvoy rebranding but that shouldn't make a difference,
Low Roller is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:31 pm
  #2306  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 333
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
Yes, you should get both the 10K referral bonus + the 61K sign-up bonus. I self-referred from the SPG personal to SPG business and got both bonuses. That was before the Bonvoy rebranding but that shouldn't make a difference,
Thanks!

Exactly how do you self-refer to business version? The link just points to personal version, can I switch to business card once the link has loaded on the browser?
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:45 pm
  #2307  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Prince Edward Island
Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post


Thanks!

Exactly how do you self-refer to business version? The link just points to personal version, can I switch to business card once the link has loaded on the browser?
Yep. When you open your referral link, just go to the bottom of the page and click on the image of the business card to open the application for that card.
Low Roller is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:30 pm
  #2308  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 333
Amex Member Points (Canada) to Bonvoy Transfer Time

Anyone has any an idea how long does Amex membership points (Canada) transfer to Bonvoy take? Iím short of 101 points (yes, one hundred and one) to book my hotel stay for March 25. Itís been a couple of days... It used to be less than 12 hours when it was SPG

theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:53 pm
  #2309  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 55
It usually takes about three days for mine to go through.
supernewfcombo is offline  
Old Mar 13, 19, 1:53 pm
  #2310  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,770
I canceled my personal SPG Amex a little over a year ago and hoping I can get the bonus again by reapplying. I still hold the business version, so I can either self refer or apply through GCR. Not sure if I should go for the points or the sure thing GCR rebate...

Wondering if anyone has some current data points for success of getting the bonus again?

Think we will have a better chance of success with reapplying and getting the bonus without our current SPG number and email - since that information may be used to track?

Last edited by pokee; Mar 13, 19 at 1:59 pm
pokee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread