Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
No mention of the 15 nights?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Meh, with another card turning towards grey/black my wallet will be filled with basically black/grey cards.
prmetime likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
The purple color was good. It was easy to find the card among cards in my wallet. When it changes to dark grey, it'll be too similar to other cards I have.
prmetime likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:17 pm

What do you think of my idea?
Cancel Personal SPG Amex now, before it gets transitioned to the Marriott Bonvoy Amex.
Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Amex when it rolls out, in the hope of obtaining an application bonus (since this should be considered a new product?)
Downside will be losing Cat 5 1-night certificate that gets posted after anniversary date
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWhere
Cancel Personal SPG Amex now, before it gets transitioned to the Marriott Bonvoy Amex.
Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Amex when it rolls out, in the hope of obtaining an application bonus (since this should be considered a new product?)
Downside will be losing Cat 5 1-night certificate that gets posted after anniversary date
I doubt it will be viewed as a new product. In the U.S. it is not.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by prmetime
I doubt it will be viewed as a new product. In the U.S. it is not.
You’ll 99% get the bonus. I’ve applied and cancelled this SPG Amex Business and Personal 5 x each in The last 6 years, and for bonus every time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by coleworld

You’ll 99% get the bonus. I’ve applied and cancelled this SPG Amex Business and Personal 5 x each in The last 6 years, and for bonus every time.
Agreed. I just wanted to let the FlyWhere know that I'm reading that it is not considered a new product in the U.S. so as not to bring a new confidence that for sure they will get the bonus again in Canada.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:17 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The first year isn't free anymore. So it's basically like buying 50000 Bonvoy points for $120 (or 16,666 old SPG points for $120) + 1500 spend.

It's meh..

I just wish AMEX comes with a truely worthy card that are for already-frequent stayers of Marriott members and can only be applied for those that reach those annual plat status - like ANA and Japan Airline's special credit cards.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
As lifetime gold and current plat, I'd only be interested in this card if the 15 status nights were confirmed. As mentioned above haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case. doesn't really offer anything for folks who already have status other than a few extra points and a free night which one could get for the annual fee.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I just wish AMEX comes with a truely worthy card
Amex is garbage in Canada. I'd much rather see a Bonvoy Visa or MasterCard.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Amex is garbage in Canada. I'd much rather see a Bonvoy Visa or MasterCard.
Agreed, like to Royal offer these.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
If you have the Starwood (soon to be Bonvoy) AMEX in Canada, do your Marriott points in your account ever expire?

(let's assume you use the credit card at least once a month to pay for something)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by wildace
If you have the Starwood (soon to be Bonvoy) AMEX in Canada, do your Marriott points in your account ever expire?

(let's assume you use the credit card at least once a month to pay for something)
You'd earn points each month that has any spend. So if you had spend in the first month and the twelfth month, that would be sufficient to keep the Marriott account from expiring.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
Originally Posted by jerry305
You'd earn points each month that has any spend. So if you had spend in the first month and the twelfth month, that would be sufficient to keep the Marriott account from expiring.
So then it is exactly like Aeroplan?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by yyjregular
As lifetime gold and current plat, I'd only be interested in this card if the 15 status nights were confirmed. As mentioned above haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case. doesn't really offer anything for folks who already have status other than a few extra points and a free night which one could get for the annual fee.
Well I had an email from Amex saying the 15 nights were confirmed several weeks ago. Others did at the time as well.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.