Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:54 am

Is there any information on when the 15 night credit will be posted?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Canned this card. For a lifetime PP the 15 nights provide no value. Probably go with Avion.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by scotchmeup
This was a free night for spend for 40K, under the old rules. it was stated on your statement as well as your annual spend. However It has been replaced with an annual free night. That said, if you signed up under the old terms you should still expect that night if you hit it. I am over 50K spend and still awaiting this certificate to post and may call in soon to verify.
Thanks. I will check my statement. My wife was on the Amex account site and said there was a popup saying we had 2 free nights but she didn't click on it and doesn't know whether it was actual or an offer etc.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Thanks. I will check my statement. My wife was on the Amex account site and said there was a popup saying we had 2 free nights but she didn't click on it and doesn't know whether it was actual or an offer etc.
Interesting but really its having it show up in your marriott account that is the key data point.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:18 am

Interesting but really its having it show up in your marriott account that is the key data point.
And therein lies the difficulty. They used to be easy to find on the old SPG site but the less said about the new site. I find it hard to find anything and then if I do find it I'm loathe to rely on it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
And therein lies the difficulty. They used to be easy to find on the old SPG site but the less said about the new site. I find it hard to find anything and then if I do find it I'm loathe to rely on it.
Its not that bad i dont think.....on the web page top right click on your name drop down , then Activity and you will see Earned awards come up at the top, this shows me earned certificates as well as SNA, followed by recent activity.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:07 pm

Its not that bad i dont think.....on the web page top right click on your name drop down , then Activity and you will see Earned awards come up at the top, this shows me earned certificates as well as SNA, followed by recent activity.
Those I can find. If the free nights are meant to be there then they are missing which is the issue. My original question was where they might be on my account because it was not and still is not showing. As for the website in general being more difficult/ non intuitive that's a whole different topic.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:05 am

Those I can find. If the free nights are meant to be there then they are missing which is the issue. My original question was where they might be on my account because it was not and still is not showing. As for the website in general being more difficult/ non intuitive that's a whole different topic.
Let's back up real fast from your initial message. You may know all of this, but let's just go through. There is one final spend certificate for reaching $40k in your cardmember year. But if your year rolled over prior to August ~3, you will not receive a certificate, as the anniversary certificate has replaced it. If / when you are eligible, it will show up in your Marriott account under Activity. This has typically been within days of hitting the spend. You won't see this in the app as far as I can tell. The cert will be a 35k one valid for one year.

If you believe that you are due the certificate, I would confirm on your statement that you have hit the spend requirement (there's a box towards the end if you had spend that month), and if you have and it hasn't arrived call Amex first as they will send the info to Marriott.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by joeags
Let's back up real fast from your initial message. You may know all of this, but let's just go through. There is one final spend certificate for reaching $40k in your cardmember year. But if your year rolled over prior to August ~3, you will not receive a certificate, as the anniversary certificate has replaced it. If / when you are eligible, it will show up in your Marriott account under Activity. This has typically been within days of hitting the spend. You won't see this in the app as far as I can tell. The cert will be a 35k one valid for one year.

If you believe that you are due the certificate, I would confirm on your statement that you have hit the spend requirement (there's a box towards the end if you had spend that month), and if you have and it hasn't arrived call Amex first as they will send the info to Marriott.
Thank you. This has been a great help and I guess I should have been paying closer attention but my wife looks after paying bills etc. Our anniversary date is April and we hit the 40 k in June. So in April we should see a certificate is what I am understanding and at some time 15 nights credit too.

Thanks again that has been really helpful.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:50 am

Thank you. This has been a great help and I guess I should have been paying closer attention but my wife looks after paying bills etc.
I assume the sum of bills is not greater than bank withdrawals.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:23 am

I'm safe I think, although in fairness I suspect I'm the biggest spender.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)
So, the 15 nights credit thing sounds helpful.

But I'm just a bit unclear. Previously under SPG If I booked 2 rooms for the family on vacation for, say, 7 nights, I'd get two stay credits towards the 25-stay plat requirement.

With Marriott, it's all about the number of nights. But if I understand correctly, booking those two rooms for 7 nights will only get me 7 nights' worth of night credits towards the 50 (35 with this AMEX bonus) night stay plat requirement, Is that correct?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Napstolean
So, the 15 nights credit thing sounds helpful.

But I'm just a bit unclear. Previously under SPG If I booked 2 rooms for the family on vacation for, say, 7 nights, I'd get two stay credits towards the 25-stay plat requirement.

With Marriott, it's all about the number of nights. But if I understand correctly, booking those two rooms for 7 nights will only get me 7 nights' worth of night credits towards the 50 (35 with this AMEX bonus) night stay plat requirement, Is that correct?

Thanks for all the help.
That is correct. You will get the points for both rooms (assuming you pay for both), but the night credits for only one.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Thank you. This has been a great help and I guess I should have been paying closer attention but my wife looks after paying bills etc. Our anniversary date is April and we hit the 40 k in June. So in April we should see a certificate is what I am understanding and at some time 15 nights credit too.

Thanks again that has been really helpful.
I hit the 40k right around the switch over in Aug(?). I called when that statement generated but no free night was show on the bill. The Amex agent was nice but totally confused and obsessed with the new terms of the switch over. I read the terms of the letter Amex had sent and I faxed that over. Turns out the 1st fax never went through but she called a week later to ask where the fax was. Nice.

Turns out I was right (no kidding) and I would get my free night cert.

....months later. Just showed up one day in my account

and i got an apology letter from Amex

Marriot’s IT system has a hell of a time with it though. I tried to modify a reservation with 2 point nights and the cert. Click on the modify button and..... Nada

canceled the res and 2 days later I emailed CS as my cert still wasn’t back in my account. She put it back in and I made a res but with one person. So I emailed back to the CS agent to modify for 2 people. She did and the system gave back the cert and took the points instead. Grrrrr

Cancelled again but the cert showed up right away so booked for a 3rd time and it’s stable. So far. I might add days if Aeroplan releases the dates I want. 4th time...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:01 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The re-branding for the SPG Canadian cards is here too

https://credit-cards.marriott.com/en-us/amex-ca

Sadly, no mention of any promo and special card design that rivals the US version of Marriott Bonvoy cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.