Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Does Amex "service" all their cards from the same center or each card is handled separately? I found some reps to be more knowledgeable than others depending on the card and SPG happens to be less favorable to call about. Points from using the cards are not free as nothing is free from a credit card companies. Its a ploy to entice members to join their customer base. You should not consider these as benefit against the other T&C like customer service being bad and you made a right call cancelling. You can get it again when your frustrations pass and with the bonus at that like right now of 21 000 plus a referral of 10 000.
I'm actually not sure, but the reps I got were pretty good. I got 8k for a retention offer for my SPG Amex. Then in 6 months I'm cancelling and waiting for the next promotion with annual fee waived.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Does Amex "service" all their cards from the same center or each card is handled separately? I found some reps to be more knowledgeable than others depending on the card and SPG happens to be less favorable to call about. Points from using the cards are not free as nothing is free from a credit card companies. Its a ploy to entice members to join their customer base. You should not consider these as benefit against the other T&C like customer service being bad and you made a right call cancelling. You can get it again when your frustrations pass and with the bonus at that like right now of 21 000 plus a referral of 10 000.
I find Amex is a love-hate relationship. Their customer service is truly horrendous (and on equal footing to the MBNA SPG MC we had before) while I tend to put up with it in order to obtain those SPG points.

I can really only use this card in the US and (sometimes) in Canada, but it's pretty much useless on international travel.

I'll be calling in tomorrow to cancel the card as my 1 year is up and I'll be charged the annual fee. I'm on the fence with the current 20K promo with the $120 fee but will make up my mind about a month later.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I find Amex is a love-hate relationship. Their customer service is truly horrendous (and on equal footing to the MBNA SPG MC we had before) while I tend to put up with it in order to obtain those SPG points.

I can really only use this card in the US and (sometimes) in Canada, but it's pretty much useless on international travel.

I'll be calling in tomorrow to cancel the card as my 1 year is up and I'll be charged the annual fee. I'm on the fence with the current 20K promo with the $120 fee but will make up my mind about a month later.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm glad i am not alone getting bad service from this Amex card. At least it shows I'm wasnt alone.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Why do you need to burn the points before cancelling the card? The pts are in your SPG acct, so it doesn't matter if you have the Amex or not.
Are transfers between accounts considered activity for the purpose of SPG account being opened and active?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Are transfers between accounts considered activity for the purpose of SPG account being opened and active?
No, they are not.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
No, they are not.
Getting coffee at you local SPG hotel is OK to get a point or 2 to keep the account?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 pm

You need minimum us$10 in f&b before tip & taxes. Get the server to find the carbon copy form to do this. If they dont know how to do it or what you're talking about, go to front desk before you leave. Don't leave without a copy or seeing someone process a request. Keep your receipts. Allow 2 weeks for it to clear.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Has anyone been able to get the free night transferred after spending $40k? I'm on call #4 with still no luck (including a teleconference between SPG and Amex...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Has anyone been able to get the free night transferred after spending $40k? I'm on call #4 with still no luck (including a teleconference between SPG and Amex...
I have not had a problem. Used one last year and this year's shows up under "earned awards" in my profile, but I have not used it yet.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
No, they are not.
Forfeiting Starpoints. Except for SVO Owners to whom the obligations in Section 9 apply, Starpoints earned or otherwise obtained by an SPG Member will forfeit without notice if the SPG Member becomes Inactive, even if the SPG Member has achieved SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum status. An SPG Member is considered "Inactive" if during a 12 month period: (a) the SPG Member has not had an Eligible Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel; (b) the SPG Member has not earned or redeemed any Starpoints, or (c) the SPG Member's account has been cancelled. and

My account was shown as earn by tranfering from my partner's account as shown here:

Earn +1 02/05/2013 INTERNAL SPG POINT TRANSFER

Why would the above not be considered earn as per (b) for the purpose of activity?.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:29 pm

Audience rewards points are points, but they are not points that are earned. My experience is that getting those 2 points does nothing on the expiry date.

There's other threads that discuss this better than I can.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Called Amex and they told me I'd see the SPG bonus points on my 4th statement. Jeez...it's a different story every time I call!
Well...4th statement is here and no bonus points...again.

This is officially the longest I've had to wait for any bonus points...

I guess I'll be calling them again to see what answer they'll give me this time...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)

You obviously didn't have the MBNA SPG MC.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
You obviously didn't have the MBNA SPG MC.
Haha - no, but something tells me I should be glad I didn't!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

I guess I'll be calling them again to see what answer they'll give me this time...
So THIS time the CSR had a sympathetic ear when I called. He said he felt bad that nobody had put an inquiry in before now to see what's up with my points (because, in his opinion, based on what he was seeing, they should have). He said it was a shame that I had had a different 'story' every time I called. I told him that I was not the only one missing points and being given the run-around when inquiring about them.

Anyway, he said to call back in 7-10 business days, as the issue should be resolved by then and my points should be posted or in the process of being posted. Of course, I am not holding my breath...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.