Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Wardman Park - Washington, DC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Wardman Park - Washington, DC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Wardman Park has one of the biggest convention spaces in DC, so once that market comes back, I suspect business will be very good.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
We've stayed 3 times at the Omni and its a nice hotel but very big - the rooms in the main part of the hotel are very large (small bathroom though) but dated whereas the rooms in the addition at the back [hike and a half to get there!] are smaller but have a bigger bathroom. I only know there is a pool at the hotel because I've seen it on Google Maps! LOL

The steep hill to get into Wardman Park puts us off staying there.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I went to a really fun New Year's Eve party at this hotel a couple of years ago. The location was fantastic. I had a nice room, but my hallway turned into what sounded like a frat party at about 3 AM. LOL. Hard to get mad though, its NYE.

The facilities seemed really nice to me. The decor was a little dated in the common areas, but the federal style fits. My room was more modern. I ended up shoving towels under the adjoining room door as I could hear conversations like they were in my room.

It was so cold that weekend. We went to the zoo and the panda's were banging on the door to get back in to the enclosure. LOL

The Lebanese Taverna on Connecticut was amazing to warm up in though. Great food.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Personally, what I've liked about this property is how it is ensconced in a residential suburban neighborhood with ready access to its own Red Line Metro station. As others have noted, the majority of rooms aren't that modern but many of the towers aren't that historic either.

David

p.s. FWIW, as a historical reference, there's still a whole bunch of older threads in the now archived Marriott | Rewards forum specific to this property as well as a relatively recent discussion on trying to find reasonable parking near by.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 26, 2020 at 12:10 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nequine
The steep hill to get into Wardman Park puts us off staying there.
When my wheelchair-bound friend and I got "walked" from the Marriott to the Omni some number of years ago, there was an alternative to go through the garage entrance on Calvert St. where there is an elevator at the far end.
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a 5 month span between December 2017 and April 2018, I was able to stay at the property three different times because of flexibility in my travel schedule as well as room rates at per diem.

Anyway, for posterity, here are a few shots of the place.

Turns out there are three different towers that comprise the property. The one just above the Metro entrance is, of course, the Wardman Tower - and apparently has private residences as well as guest rooms:

The tower in the middle is....the Center Tower:

The Center Tower has the lobby, restaurants, fitness center and the Concierge Lounge on the 10th floor.

Here's a view of the Center Tower and the Wardman Tower in a stitched panorama from the back of the property taken from Calvert Street (and I think the alternative path that Zorak and his friend had to traverse to get to the Omni):

The third tower is the Park Tower - which I don't have a picture of because a) it is the only tower I haven't stayed in and b) looks like I confused what I thought was the Park Tower with what appears to be an adjacent building that is a separate set of luxury apartments called the Woodley.

Anyway, have a bunch more pictures of the three rooms (once in the Wardman Tower and twice in rooms in the Center Tower), the Concierge Lounge and a few from around the property. Looking back I think I intended to post to FT after I'd stayed in a Park Tower room to be able to compare the three but, as noted, wasn't able to complete the tower trifecta and completely forgot about the photos until closing of the hotel was posted to this thread.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 26, 2020 at 1:53 am
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
p.s. FWIW, as a historical reference, there's still a whole bunch of older threads in the now archived Marriott | Rewards forum specific to this property as well as a relatively recent discussion on trying to find reasonable parking near by.
And, a photo testifying why I was looking for "reasonable parking" in a suburban neighborhood:

David
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I have spent at least 1 week a year at the Wardman Park for the past 8 years for a professional meeting, so I know the property well.

Several interesting points. When I went to book my room for this year (in early January), my convention room rate was $325 without taxes and fees. As March rolled around, I went back to see what the room rate was, and it had dropped to $125/day. Subsequently, the meeting was cancelled and the hotel was closed soon thereafter.

One of the great tragedies IMO is the loss of the great staff that I had the pleasure of interacting with over the years. There was one absolutely fantastic African American hostess/greeter who was without doubt one of the nicest persons I ever dealt with. It breaks my heart that she lost her job due to this pandemic.

I do hope this hotel survives the pandemic, but if it doesn't, my professional organization is going to have to find somewhere else to meet.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Just an update. It looks like Marriott is trying to walk some of this back a little. Not to say that the original post is incorrect (about it closing) but Marriott is attempting to specify that the announcement above was released by the union and not Marriott itself.

Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
The Wardman Park Marriott includes more than 1,100 rooms, 53 suites and nearly 200,000 square feet of event space. It is the third largest hotel by room count in Greater Washington, behind the Gaylord National Resort and Conference Center and the Marriott Marquis Washington D.C.

Shortly after receiving notice, Wardman Park employees began reaching out to their union representative, Unite Here Local 25, who then reached out to Marriott corporate for answers, Executive Secretary John Boardman told the Washington Business Journal. Marriott, which has a contract to operate the hotel through 2029, told Boardman it was in discussions with Pacific Life Insurance Co., the hotel's majority owner, over whether the hospitality giant could continue to operate the Wardman Park under the current management agreement.
https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...-for-good.html
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DELee
Here's a view of the Center Tower and the Wardman Tower in a stitched panorama from the back of the property taken from Calvert Street (and I think the alternative path that Zorak and his friend had to traverse to get to the Omni):
I looked it up on Google Maps Street View and the alternate route I remember is further down Calvert St, near the intersection with 28th (see below). I remember at various times going in or out the pedestrian entrance under the red awning (on the right in the photo), but also distinctly remember a few times we went in through the vehicular entrance (on the left) and thence to the back of the garage. I forget why though, it's possible this saves an elevator "transfer" to get to the convention area.

Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Used to live around the corner from this property. The rooms are quite serviceable and I have found the rates are often a deal compared with the downtown hotels. Woodley Park is really a fantastic location for visitors. It is a quick hop on the red line metro - 5-15 to get to downtown offices or to capital hill offices. Or a very cheap taxi/uber ride. Many good restaurants are walking distance (assuming they survive COVID) in Woodley, Cleveland Park and Adams Morgan. Also convenient to rock creek park path for jogging/biking and a quick ride down the parkway to Georgetown or to cross into Virginia.

It will be a shame if it closes because one could see this being converted to expensive condos.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Closed

See https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...-bankruptcy-2/
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
https://www.popville.com/2021/01/dc-...-woodley-park/

WTOP reported: “Wardman Hotel Owner LLC, an affiliate of Pacific Life Insurance Co., has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and has ended its management contract with Marriott International.”
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ckendall
https://www.popville.com/2021/01/dc-...-woodley-park/

WTOP reported: “Wardman Hotel Owner LLC, an affiliate of Pacific Life Insurance Co., has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and has ended its management contract with Marriott International.”
There are pictures showing that the Marriott name has been struck from the signage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.