Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Daily resort fee is $60 (not waived with status or with booking a club room)
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas.
  • Outdoor Yoga, Pilates, and Seaside Hikes alternate daily.
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers).
  • Access to resorts Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs.
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional.
  • Courtesy resort driver transportation within 3 miles of the resort.
  • Complimentary 45 minute private photography session and one digital image (not applicable to special occasions and events).
  • A special Garden Tour experience where you discover Birds, Bees, and Butterflies local to Dana Point in the beautiful Eco-Adventure Garden, reserve through the [email protected] m.

Valet fee is $70 per night

Platinum benefits:
- Free breakfast is no longer offered
- 1,000 welcome points
- One category upgrade based upon availability (usually a coastline or ocean view room)

Tips from a local:
- If you want to avoid the $70 valet fee and don't mind a 10 minute stroll you can park for free on Niguel Rd & Stonehill Dr on the hill except for Fridays between 10am and Noon.
- The marine layer usually burns off around noon to 1pm each day.
- May, June, and early July are known as May gray/June gloom. This time of the year is usually overcast and not the most ideal beach weather. Hot summer weather is usually July to mid-October.
- Beach Hut Deli and Moulin are cheaper places for lunch and are a ~3 minute walk. There is a hidden walking path on the backside of the property that makes walking there slightly easier at Cabrillo Isle & Ritz Carlton drive.
- If you live in the area there is a locals "anniversary" card that allows for a 15% discount on food/alcohol/spa and free valet parking for the day for two cars (not for overnight stays). You will need to show evidence that you live in the area.
- Valet is $5 for the day if visiting a restaurant or marketplace.
- The free OC Parks Summer Concert Series on the Salt Creek Beach lawn is usually a few weekends in August and is very popular locally. Alcohol is sold and usually multiple food trucks. They also have free movies on the lawn during the weekends in August.
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
What is the platinum breakfast benefit for a family of 4 in the same suite?

Also, will they waive the resort fee for Plats?
There is no breakfast benefit at Ritz-Carlton or Edition hotels. No elite status gets resort fees waived.
bgasser likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
What is the platinum breakfast benefit for a family of 4 in the same suite?

Also, will they waive the resort fee for Plats?
These are some great suggestions for improvements to the elite program! Here's hoping one day!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I am looking at the difference in price between an Executive Suite and a Club Executive Suite for 2 people and it seems like $500/night, and no mention of free parking and/or waived resort fee for club level? Is this still the policy?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am looking at the difference in price between an Executive Suite and a Club Executive Suite for 2 people and it seems like $500/night, and no mention of free parking and/or waived resort fee for club level? Is this still the policy?
I think it is an arbitrary decision by the Club concierge. I do know that the two times we have been guests at the club level our resort fee and parking were waived..... and a case of their house wine as a gift because we loved it so much. The value is in the 3 meals a day and snacks all day.... as well as open bar.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Has anyone stayed here post COVID?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by saint
Has anyone stayed here post COVID?
We looked into it for Christmas....but the Club facilities had been shut down and for us that was what made the stay at this resort.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by david55
We looked into it for Christmas....but the Club facilities had been shut down and for us that was what made the stay at this resort.

Thanks david55. You had some excellent reviews that made me want to try this hotel. I agree the Club being closed is a major downer. I still might stay next month and will post a review if I do. Thanks for the excellent reviews.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Anybody stay here in the last month or so? Has the Club Level fully re-opened? I will be calling them today...we have a sudden need to be in the area in 10 days.

Thanks !!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Anybody stay here in the last month or so? Has the Club Level fully re-opened? I will be calling them today...we have a sudden need to be in the area in 10 days.

Thanks !!
Had a 1 night stay at the end of May on points that was overall excellent. At that time, the Club Lounge was only open from Thursday at 12 pm to Monday 2 pm, so I did not have the option. FYI the upgrade cost I was quoted was $500 per night.

At the time, Raya, Bar Raya and the Marketplace were open while EnoSteak was closed. The beach shuttle was in operation and the pool was fantastic. So was the service.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Recent Weekend Stay Review

Stayed here on a recent Saturday-Monday two night stay. Points with an upgrade charge to an ocean view room. Upon check in was upgraded again to an oceanfront room on the top floor. Overall this is a very interesting hotel that I really enjoyed and would happily come back to again.

The hotel is in the heart of OC between Laguna Beach and Dana Point (it is actually
not in Laguna Niguel). It sits atop a massive cliff overlooking a beach that faces a public park. The location and view is stunning. It was built in 1984 so there are some age/design issues that Ill address below. But location wise it is excellent.

What sets this hotel apart is the service. Every single employee was genuine and friendly and helpful. Almost all remembered my name. Not a single significant service miss during the entire stay. As an example, they run a beach shuttle golf cart as the hill down to the beach is exceptionally steep. Upon walking down the hill one day I noticed the shuttle, empty, stop while the driver picked up an empty glass someone had left on the path. That is evidence of a fantastic service culture and is a perfect example of the level of service quality the hotel delivered.

One caveat to this - they do not currently have a concierge. According to the front desk, they had to lay theirs off during Covid and have not been able to rehire any as they moved away. They do plan to do so soon, per the front desk.

Worth noting the hotel is a bit hamstrung by an older design, with no real room to expand. The room was very pleasant with a modern refresh, but it was small. One sink, very small closet, no separate shower from tub, etc. It was exceptionally maintained but just know you arent getting the newest and nicest.

Also note they strangely designed the hotel to have limited outdoor space facing the ocean. No idea why, but its a missed opportunity. The one outdoor bar facing the beach was always packed, so we decided to pass.

The food at all outlets was excellent. The dinner in Raya was phenomenal and a highlight of our trip.

The gym faces the ocean and may be the best hotel gym Ive ever used based on this fact. It was well sized and with new equipment but wow the view. Makes you want to work out more.

If you can afford it or get upgrade to an ocean front room, the balcony overlooking the cliffs and water is truly unbeatable. We had coffee every morning and drinks every evening on it. Amazing.

Finally note that this hotel has an absurd amount of event space so I believe it caters as much to locals holding events and having meals at the restaurants as to guests. As a consequence the amenities never seemed too full.

Overall an absolutely terrific stay and wouldnt hesitate to come back, just be prepared for a room that is smaller and more constrained in design than your average RC.
bsdstone, DJ_Iceman and svo242 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
I checked into this property on a Sunday afternoon for a one night stay while visiting family in the area. I booked a Garden View room using a FNC that was expiring. I wasn't proactively upgraded, but inquired upon check-in and was offered a complimentary upgrade to a Coastline View or an Ocean View room for $200. I took the Coastline View room, which was very spacious with a decent sized closet and dual vanities. Perhaps the rooms with lesser views are larger than the ocean front rooms.

I had dinner at Raya, which was excellent. EnoSteak remains closed, and Raya has a reduced menu which didn't bother me at all. The Poloncillo Shrimp and Pan Roasted Seabass dishes were phenomenal. This too was the highlight of my stay. Even if you think you don't need them, I recommend making a reservation. At 5pm, the restaurant was already fully committed and on a wait list. Sunset from the restaurant was beautiful. I had a few after dinner drinks at 180blu, which I would recommend as well.

The staff I interacted with were very friendly, but there were quite a few gaps in service on the day I checked in. There was no corkscrew in the room, so I phoned the front desk to request one. There was about a 5 minute hold time to reach the front desk, which is something I've never experienced at any hotel, let alone one of this caliber. Forty five minutes later, the corkscrew had not arrived, so I again tried the front desk but was unable to reach them. I ended up walking
​back to the lobby to make my request again. I also tried to take the beach shuttle, but the drivers failed to answer their phone on two occasions. There were quite a few weddings and corporate events on property, but nothing seemed overly busy or crowded. I found it a bit odd that the main pool doesn't have a view of the ocean.

The hotel had no problem giving me a 2pm checkout which was nice. Overall, the incredible views and dining made this an enjoyable stay.
svo242 likes this.

Last edited by ncSam; Oct 6, 2021 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I've always liked the RC LG and it was typically our favorite choice for award stays in the area (for paid stays we mostly opted for the Montage but have also paid at the RC). A week or so ago, I was looking at reservation options and even though on the main screen it said award nights were available starting at 60k it wasn't so once you clicked to the next screen. In fact they wanted 60k PLUS $400 for the room with coastline view. I know this isn't the regular award room but that's ridiculous for a mid-week stay and the $979 paid price for that room makes no sense to me.
jtp1947 likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 6, 2021 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by christianj
A week or so ago, I was looking at reservation options and even though on the main screen it said award nights were available starting at 60k it wasn't so once you clicked to the next screen.
It's annoying that Marriott does this. I've had a better luck trying to find standard availability by using the flexible date calendar.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:39 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Im about to check in later today for a conference. Whats the likelihood of a decent upgrade (ocean view?) for a Titanium? I was booked into a garden view room.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by ymx
I’m about to check in later today for a conference. What’s the likelihood of a decent upgrade (ocean view?) for a Titanium? I was booked into a garden view room.
If you read up just a couple of posts you will see.....one level up from what you booked but you might always get lucky or you can pay to upgrade as mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.