Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:14 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Arrow Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

"We are proud to announce that the 186 room The Andaman, Langkawi,
located in Langkawi, Malaysia, is now part of Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Hotel is accepting reservations as of today December 09, 2009 for opening date of December 10, 2009.

SPG LEVEL 4 "

Looks like DMG got their work done in time.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

/mod
Preopening discussion is here
/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:18 am

How's it?

Any updates from anyone who stayed there recently?
Thanks
UALFLYER1
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 am
Suspended

As always , brilliant !

I stayed there recently and incorporated my exprience at The Andaman on this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-sheraton.html

As for the nature tours, there is a price list in the room. Cant remember the exact costs, but its in the region of MYR200-300 for each guest.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:45 pm

Great!

Thanks Mario...looks like Andaman is the winner!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:38 pm
SST

Could someone who has been to the Andaman kindly comment on transfer (means, costs) to/from the airport/hotel? Thanks.

One more question: is it walkable between the Andaman and the Datai? (thinking about varying the lunch/dinner arrangements-- do we need a taxi? Are there taxis available?)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:37 pm
rf8

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest
I only went to the Andaman for drinks (stayed at the Westin) but drove to both the Datai and the Andaman. Found both far and isolated.

I would guess that both are 25-30 min from the airport. There are plenty of taxis available, but I noticed a lot of car rentals at the Andaman (I rented a car too for my stay). I'd imagine the fares from the Andaman would add up.

The Datai to the Andaman is a bit far for walking (I didn't know there was a beach path between the two). Both are up a mountain and the incline/lack of walking area prob doesn't make that practical. It took about 10 min drive from Datai to Andaman.

I was absolutely thrilled with the Westin Langkawi and thought the sea view lobby more impressive than the jungle Datai or Andaman. IMHO

Last edited by rf8; Feb 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by SST
Could someone who has been to the Andaman kindly comment on transfer (means, costs) to/from the airport/hotel? Thanks.

One more question: is it walkable between the Andaman and the Datai? (thinking about varying the lunch/dinner arrangements-- do we need a taxi? Are there taxis available?)
Here is some info provided by the property.

"- Guest can walk from The Andaman to Datai via the beach (approximately 10 to 15 minutes walk), however, is not walk able during high tide.

- We have shuttle available between 2 resorts, just need to approach Concierge Counter (ride is approximately 5 minutes).

- Cross signing facilities is available in both properties."

I also have a pdf document stating the various features at this property. Feel free to drop me a note with your regular email address if you would like a copy.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:46 am
Suspended

Andaman

Originally Posted by SST

Hotel charges around MYR90 one way for a small car, taxi at airport will be cheaper probbably MYR70-80.

If you want to walk to the Datai its easier to walk along the beach, probably 10 min walk but not advisable at night. Not sure about the current arrangement, but I am guessing the hotel will continue to shuttle you over for free since both resorts are engaging the services of the same transport provider (unless things turn really sour between them ....)

While seaview from lobby at Westin is nice, I find it difficult to believe anyone would find the Westin lobby to be nicer than the Andaman. But yes, the rooms at the Westin are much nicer.

Edit : ok lurker2 post confirm the free shuttle.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:13 pm

Andaman...so not Luxury Collection

Just got back from the Andaman. I promise to write a detailed review this week. I am absolutely disappointed with this hotel. I have been a Platinum for 8 years now and have stayed in almost every resort SPG branded in Asia and I don't think this resort qualifies either for Category 4 nor Luxury Collection. If they had an "OK Collection", this property would meet the needs.

From the beds, the exteriors, service, to the run down toilets to the vintage TV's, etc., this place is close to extinction. It may have been just the room we had, but I swear I have not seen anything close to as bad as this.

More to come! In the meantime, beware of booking there if you are looking for something nice. Go to the Westin!

UALFLYER1
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
From the beds, the exteriors, service, to the run down toilets to the vintage TV's, etc., this place is close to extinction. It may have been just the room we had, but I swear I have not seen anything close to as bad as this.
Its worth noting that none of the suites have been renovated; so yes old bathrooms, "vintage" tv etc in the suites.

The deluxe rooms have been renovated with all new bathrooms and partially renovated sleeping area (tvs are flat screen but its so small you might think its a pc monitor) Beds are what you would expect from a budget hotel, no pillow-top mattress and they dont even use a proper duvet ...

I thought service is decent (for Malaysia), the lobby very impressive and the setting is hard to beat. However, if you are looking for "luxury", the Westin may be a better option.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:42 pm

Right!

Hi Mario,
You are right. When the housekeeping guys were cleaning up the rooms, I took a peak here and there to see what other rooms looked like and they all had hardwood floors, nice cabinets, etc.

Our suite on the other hand had old rickety furniture, dingy carpets with all kinds of stains, etc. The carpets were so nasty, I was about to puke. All hotels have the usual dust and stuff when you move things, but this one had some crazy stuff.

Anyway...I am working on a detailed review after uploading my pictures on my computer. Can't wait to fire this one off!

By the way, we had a suite...so your comments are accurate. However, the lobby though is nice but even that needs some renovation. The furniture is so old and beaten up. Come on!! You can't charget $300-$400 per night and offer such a bad product.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:30 pm

The carpets were so nasty, I was about to puke. All
My advice is to try and avoid being overly dramatic in your review. It only serves to detract from the message you are trying to convey.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:05 am

I agree that the hotel is showing its age especially those non-renovated rooms, which basically are all the basic rooms and the suites.

I was there late last year before it was flagged as a starwood. Due to some promotion for the most basic room only for something like $150, I thought that I could handle it, but boy was I wrong.

To make a long story short and not wanting to go into details (PM me if you want more details), I had problems with the initial room assigned to me, but only decided to ask for a change of room late at night when I decided that I cannot live with it due to condensation issues and faulty room facilities for the next few days. Due to the lateness and the hotel being full, we were moved to the presidential suite, which is huge but full of cleanliness problem. We attributed this to the fact that it has probably not being in used for a long time. I decided to ask for a room change again due to health reason and we were finally moved to a recently renovated room. Despite the fact that we had a frustrating merry go round with the room, the service recovery is top class. The front desk manager came to apologise to us personally and gave us a complimentary night as well as invited us for dinner, which was very good.

If anyone are deciding to go there, please go for a newly renovated deluxe room, which is nothing fantastic, but at least functional. IMHO, I was rather surprised with the state of the Presidential Suite and I imagine that any other non-renovated rooms are in similar "dysfunction". But service is good and the beach is nice and quiet, which is the main selling point of this place.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:52 am
Suspended

By the way, we had a suite...so your comments are accurate.
Moral of the story is .... dont insist on a suite upgrade if it wasnt offered to you (against the common FT rule). For those who actually paid for the suites, I really feel sorry for them.

If you are able to put aside the sorry state of the suites, its actually an outstanding resort. Leaving aside Bora Bora and Maldives, I dont think there are many Starwood resort which can match the setting, the beach and the seaview . I also feel that they treat platinums reasonably well; the standard upgrade to seaview or lanai rooms is worth a 50% premium over the basic room rates and comp breakfast is worth MYR100 per person. And not forgetting wifi is free throughout the resort, though signal can be weak at some spots away from the transmitters.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:07 pm
rf8

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest
Langkawi

Langkawi is fantastic and definitely worth a visit.

I always like to check out other Starwood properties when traveling and had high expectations for the Andaman, given prior reviews and it's Luxury Collection status.

Again, some may prefer the jungle view of the Andaman (with older guests lounging in a standard pool), but I much preferred the million dollar sea views and infinity pool at the Westin. (but it was better than the Datai which I found plain and had a very murky pond water leading to the lobby)

Wish I had checked out the Four Seasons instead of Datai/Andaman.

Last edited by rf8; Mar 6, 2010 at 3:56 pm Reason: added pic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.