Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by controller1
I'm not even sure how Marriott would do that. I assume the reservation no longer shows on Marriott.com, correct?
It does not, but I would think that information would get passed along to Marriott. I assume the hotel is getting paid something by Marriott for these stays, otherwise they wouldn't honor them. I also assume Marriott isn't going to pay the hotel for reservations that get cancelled.

I'll reach out to Marriott, although reports of their helpfullhel lately isn't promising
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bjk497
Anyone cancel a points reservation recently? Curious how long it took to have points refunded to account. Thanks
I was told that I had to cancel my reservation over Christmas by the week before hotel left SPG/MR. I'm not sure if you can cancel now.

I stayed here over Christmas for 2 nights on award. Obviously no benefits of any kind. View was as lousy as it gets at this property. Occupancy was high, although there were rooms available for sale at rates >$1000.

Even with no benefits, I still enjoyed one last stay at this property and the fabulous views from the patio next to the bar.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bjk497
Anyone cancel a points reservation recently? Curious how long it took to have points refunded to account. Thanks
I did. My points were refunded within a day or two of my cancelation. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was quick.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
I was told that I had to cancel my reservation over Christmas by the week before hotel left SPG/MR. I'm not sure if you can cancel now.
I canceled my reservation in early January and received a refund of my points to my Marriott account. I think as long as you cancel within the normal reservation window, you're OK.
​​
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66

I had the same problem - my stay on points is in June and since the new hotel will not honor elite benefits, I called and got the Suite night awards applied to a different stay. Now, the stay for princeville doesnt even show up on the Marriott app, but it is still valid.

Glad we are getting to stay there on points, but bummed that we get no benefits like upgrades, breakfast, etc.

It's been over a month and still no SNAs back even after discussing it with my Ambassador on multiple occasions and escalating with their IT. I guess 3000+ lifetime nights don't count for much any more

On another note, going to miss this property. The Westin nearby doesn't cut it.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:32 pm

Can anyone who has stayed recently comment on the cost to upgrade your room?

I booked a 7 night stay w/ points in a Garden/Mountain terrace room. Last time I stayed at the resort I got upgraded to a Junior Suite. Since free upgrades are no longer possible, I'm thinking that it may make sense to pay for an upgrade to at least an ocean view room. I think I'm going to be so disappointed in my current room where I won't be able to see the ocean
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
Can anyone who has stayed recently comment on the cost to upgrade your room?

I booked a 7 night stay w/ points in a Garden/Mountain terrace room. Last time I stayed at the resort I got upgraded to a Junior Suite. Since free upgrades are no longer possible, I'm thinking that it may make sense to pay for an upgrade to at least an ocean view room. I think I'm going to be so disappointed in my current room where I won't be able to see the ocean
I can't speak to the cost of an upgrade, but we just got back from a 5-night award stay that we had booked with SPG points and we got a complimentary upgrade to a terrific ocean-view room. We were very pleased with all the service from the hotel.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by kendenton
I can't speak to the cost of an upgrade, but we just got back from a 5-night award stay that we had booked with SPG points and we got a complimentary upgrade to a terrific ocean-view room. We were very pleased with all the service from the hotel.

Wow...amazing! Did you ask for an upgrade? Or did they just tell you at checkin?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Wow...amazing! Did you ask for an upgrade? Or did they just tell you at checkin?
We got this email about 1 month before our stay:

We look forward to inviting you into our Ohana, and welcoming you to our illustrious resort located directly on the paradise-like sands of Kauai.

Have you heard the news? The resort is under new management, therefore we are no longer participating in the SPG program, but we are more than happy to honor your existing booking and offer a complimentary upgrade based upon availability at the time of your arrival.

We were there first week of March and I'd say the hotel was 50% capacity at most.
damon88 and Traveler56789 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kendenton
We got this email about 1 month before our stay:

We look forward to inviting you into our Ohana, and welcoming you to our illustrious resort located directly on the paradise-like sands of Kauai.

Have you heard the news? The resort is under new management, therefore we are no longer participating in the SPG program, but we are more than happy to honor your existing booking and offer a complimentary upgrade based upon availability at the time of your arrival.

We were there first week of March and I'd say the hotel was 50% capacity at most.
Thanks for the update
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:36 am

How do you all go about tipping the valet at this hotel? Do you tip every time you pick up the car? Or at the end?

I’m thinking at the end makes the most sense since we often grab the car multiple times per day, but I’d love to hear best practice.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
How do you all go about tipping the valet at this hotel? Do you tip every time you pick up the car? Or at the end?

Im thinking at the end makes the most sense since we often grab the car multiple times per day, but Id love to hear best practice.
Based on my experience there earlier this year there are usually several valets working at any one time, and they also work varying shifts throughout the day/week. You can't be certain which valet will retrieve your car at a given time, so your best approach is to tip every time your car is retrieved.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:44 am

Looks like Makana Terrace is no longer open for dinner, wonder if they finally realized that no one wanted to eat inside shoved towards the windows at Kauai Grill, so they took that option away?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:18 am

I just completed a 7 night stay at the resort.

Overall it was a great experience. I had somewhat low expectations given all of the bad reviews I've been reading. However, the hotel didn't disappoint. While it needs to be renovated (they're planning a $100M renovation starting in the next year), it's in the same shape as it was when I was there two years ago. The hotel was clean, food was great, service was top notch and all staff went above and beyond.

I made my booking about 8 months ago for a garden/mountain terrace room for ~360K points. I asked for an upgrade at arrival, referencing the e-mail that kendenton mentioned above. I was upgraded to an ocean front junior suite without much negotiation. They also gave us a complementary daily breakfast buffet (although this required several e-mails back and forth with hotel management before I arrived).

Overall great experience and I think I may stay here again after the renovations.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hmmm, if it's in the same shape as two years ago....then things are still a bit run down. It does have some nice touch-ups that I remember a few years ago but quite a few places were neglected or barely kept up (Makana Terrance waiting area for one).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.