Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Left Marriott 15 Nov. 2018) St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

(Left Marriott 15 Nov. 2018) St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Nov 10, 10, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlxStevens View Post
We had a Jr. Suite for 5 nights based on a Platinum upgrade from a standard 80k booking. I didn't see the regular rooms, so I can't really compare, but I can say that the Jr. Suite was fantastic.

I know the rooms are slightly larger, and the soaking tubs with the view over Hanalei Bay were tremendous. I think my favorite part was the butler service - packing and unpacking were great, and the french press Kona coffee in the morning was one of the highlights of the trip.

All in all, it's a great property and you'll have a great time. If I were you I'd stick with what you have and hope for the upgrade. Many people here have gotten one (although clearly some haven't). I would CERTAINLY write to the Concierge in advance and mention that it's your honeymoon . It was my birthday when we went and I can't tell you the number of times I was congratulated by the staff.

I worked with Scott Bacon ([email protected]) and he did an amazing job with restaurant reservations, activities and so forth. Several of the better restaurants (Bar Acuda for one) and activities (ziplining) require reservations so it's a good idea to plan ahead if you want to take advantage of them anyway.

/A
Just cancelled 80k booking due couldn't resist $425 nightly rate. Fingers crossed for plat upgrade, though visiting in feb so may prove packed. Already engaging Scott and he has been uber-helpful. I have high hopes for our upcoming visit.
Old Nov 12, 10, 12:35 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Impressions.

We both felt the hotel had lost its Hawaiian feel. The lobby renovation did nothing to enhance what used to be a very special feeling. The male agent who checked us in had no personality and was giving way too much SR attitude esp for Hawaii. Our friends felt the same way. We like the feel of our room which is like a fine residence. The towels however are well worn and in some parts stained. Nothing like the plush towels at the SR Osaka.
Old Nov 15, 10, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
We are getting ready to depart. Between us and friends have had nine room nights. Without a doubt the very best thing about the Resort is the view. Two of us had Prince junior suites and the remainder a premiere ocean view. The junior suites continue to be awesome. The lobby grows on you. The service is something to be expected. We had a issue with the bathroom which was just resolved yesterday after three nights. That and the attitude from the check-in agent were the only real issues. The gym is nice but the ventilation has something to be desired. The lobby bar was continues to be comfortable with drinks priced fairly. Service at the pool was very slow yesterday. The pool is beautiful. We VERY much recommend chef Roy's Tavern at the Prince/Princeville clubhouse. The food was excellent and represents a great value for the area. We made the mistake of dining at another local place in the shopping center. Big mistake. If you see a salad bar get back in the car and head to the Tavern. The braised short ribs, chicken and if available meatloaf sandwich were highlights. If you calorie count can take it the mac and cheese was good also.

You can find more bottled water in the gym along with some fruit. The Napili Cafe which has breakfast items runs out early. Fresh fruit was good along with muffins. We never spent more than $20 for a filling continental breakfast for two eaten in the room. The butler provided coffee and tea. The amenities are Remede which are replenished at turndown if not present. I never did get my USA Today but the WSJ also arrived. Should have ordered the IHT. There is supposed to be a selection of dvds at the Concierge desk. There is a frig in ever room which is not auto charge. They offered to bring in another frig if we wanted. Our friends were offered a crib for their five month old. From our room we were able to view the paddle out for Andy Irons. It was a sight.

We golfed Puakea on a club members guest rate of $40 per. Got real lucky for our 10 AM tee time at Makai with our Troon Golf card. Get this card which is free. We had one card but got two scratchers with one hitting 4 golf for 3. Our one tee time was comp so both of us were $135. Other two friends in our group were locals. Golfed Prince course at 1PM with the course having punched holes about a month ago. $70 per.

My wife loves the Resorts tea and tea bags. We laid in supplies at Foodland in Kapaa. One of the locals said items were more expensive in the Princeville Foodland. Not sure of that. Make sure and get a local believe Makai card to get the discount prices. We used our local offices phone number. Picked up bottled water. Foodland also has but it was best at the Kapaa outlet musabi. We love the chicken karage teri musabi over the spam. Someone would pick up a order for each golf outting. Go before noon to get the chicken.

The smoothie at the little hut in front of the Princeville Foodland was very good. The resort gave us two of those cards to redeem at the timeshare desk. Got postcards and incense. Cell service is limited within the room but fine outside. I can stick my phone outside the window for a signal. Internet which is comp for P is available both wired and wireless. I went wireless after the first day creating a little office with a great view. There are two business center rooms by the gym. Was able to print boarding passes. Internet access and printing was comp. Parking is something like $18 plus gst. The priority goes to guests walking up with a ticket versus called in. So we waited a couple times.

We dined at Sushi Katsu at the Tip Top Hotel in Lihue which was good and good value. Better last time. One night we had drinks and pupus at Kalapaki Joe's which was great also in Lihue. Well that is my brain drain of items. We will be back next year with three nights here but before will do two nights in Poipu at Hyatt it has been decided with friends. Regards from Paradise.
Old Nov 21, 10, 5:38 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Strange cancellation policy?

I try to book for two nights, but I found the cancellation policy which I could not accept(if this is not mistake).

Two night reservation requires 3 nights penalty???

"The time for canceling without penalty has passed. If you cancel, the forfeiture amount will be a 3 night penalty. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes. "
Old Nov 21, 10, 7:35 am

Butler

What exactly will the butler do for you? Is there a charge for services, or just tip him? We will be there soon, and hope for a jr suite upgrade! Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 10, 8:02 am

Unpack, press a couple items and bring tea or coffee per person in the morning. No charge but we did tip $5 per morning. Hope you get that upgrade!
Old Dec 7, 10, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
St. Regis Princeville requires 30 day cancellation

Back to peak season points - no big deal
Catgory changes - disappointing but I can live with it

but

Extreme cancellation policies really upset me. If I book a 3 night stay in September on points, and cancel with less than 30 days notice, it will cost me $1200. If I book the lowest standard (refundable rate), it will cost $1275.

This is such a stark difference from the airlines, where if you cancel, you can get a credit for the difference minus a change fee. I'd happily pay a $150 fee if I had the right to apply the points to a future stay at that property.

This doesn't make sense.

EDIT
My apologies for not putting this in the main hotel thread, maybe a mod could move it?

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 7, 10 at 9:45 pm
Old Dec 7, 10, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I try to book for two nights, but I found the cancellation policy which I could not accept(if this is not mistake).

Two night reservation requires 3 nights penalty???

"The time for canceling without penalty has passed. If you cancel, the forfeiture amount will be a 3 night penalty. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes. "
The required lead time is 30 days.
Old Dec 10, 10, 1:03 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
We checked in yesterday, and are sitting in the lobby of the hotel now enjoying free wifi. They offered me a free upgrade (without asking) from our Garden view room to Ocean view room. I believe this was offered because of my SPG Gold status. Hotel is beautiful. Weather on the island was rainy today, but we're optimistic.

FYI, Believe it or not, during my research, the AAA rate was hands own the best rate offered for the hotel.
Old Dec 10, 10, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nombody View Post
It's about an hour drive from the airport. Not too late to go, but just understand that this is not Interstate highway quality roads. It is a single lane in each direction, and for the second half-hour when you get north of Kapa'a it is pretty "rural" without street lights for the most part. So just drive with your high-beams on and you'll be ok.
Agreed - you'll probably be on the road by 9:30ish and at least an hour drive. You won't get lost but its pretty tough driving with no light other than your car's headlights...worse when an oncoming car has their highbeams on. There is one stretch where you cross a bridge that makes it feel like a scene out of Avatar but you probably won't notice at night.
Old Dec 10, 10, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
I have traveled pretty late from airport to Princeville ... I didn't find it difficult.. Traffic was not bad ..
It is a nice hotel. Friendly staff ...
Old Dec 12, 10, 5:34 pm

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, Omni
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy View Post
I have traveled pretty late from airport to Princeville ....
Itís not the late drive that I try to avoid, I just hate to arrive at such an expensive (in either points or $) property at non-stop-AA-generated 10:30 p.m. And although I concede that itís awesome to wake up overlooking Hanalei Bay the first morning on Kauai, I do miss the old airport adjacent Kauai Hilton as it was a cheap and convenient stay to ease into Kauai.
Old Dec 12, 10, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by dave_SEA View Post
They offered me a free upgrade (without asking) from our Garden view room to Ocean view room. I believe this was offered because of my SPG Gold status. .
Nice. We've stayed there many times pre-SR and never got upgraded as Golds.
Old Jan 29, 11, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Does anyone know if there is a hotel shuttle, local bus, or taxis available at this hotel? I booked a reservation for later this year, but will likely want to check out some of the bars and restaurants in the nearby areas. I will have a rental car, but don't want to drive on those evenings.
Old Jan 29, 11, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, AA Gold, UA Silver
Was there almost a year ago and I don't recall a hotel shuttle. The property is also about a 1.5-2 miles off of the main public road so local buses either. I'm sure there must be taxis but I didn't pay attention as we just drove our rental car out for dinners.

Search this Thread