Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by VA1379
I’m looking at this property for a flight over Christmas since there is a AAA rate that includes parking for up to 14 days at no extra cost over the regular AAA rate. I used to stay at the Hyatt Dulles a lot when I was a more frequent guest with Hyatt.

I’m not expecting their breakfast to be as good as some of the Marriott properties in the DC area that put out a really good buffet. Tysons Corner Marriott, Fairview Park Marriott, and Crystal Gateway Marriott have really good breakfast. Their breakfast buffets have lox, several types of fruit, eggs made to order, thick cut bacon, tons of pastries, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal and a couple of rotating hot dishes like French Toast, pancakes and asparagus salad.

For 14 days of included parking, I'd ignore the breakfast differential and just eat the difference.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by VA1379
I’m looking at this property for a flight over Christmas since there is a AAA rate that includes parking for up to 14 days at no extra cost over the regular AAA rate. I used to stay at the Hyatt Dulles a lot when I was a more frequent guest with Hyatt.

I’m not expecting their breakfast to be as good as some of the Marriott properties in the DC area that put out a really good buffet. Tysons Corner Marriott, Fairview Park Marriott, and Crystal Gateway Marriott have really good breakfast. Their breakfast buffets have lox, several types of fruit, eggs made to order, thick cut bacon, tons of pastries, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal and a couple of rotating hot dishes like French Toast, pancakes and asparagus salad.
their breakfast is ok....nothing great but not bad as well....its got pretty much everything you mentioned above....
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:36 am

We've stayed here at least a few times each year using the AAA parking rate since it opened. The breakfast buffet hasn't stopped declining in quality IMO, unfortunately. It used to be very good, but is now only passable. The rates have also gone up significantly since Marriott took over. So I'm not sure when we'll be back again. Westins are obviously nice, but not necessarily worth a significant premium over the other Marriott options nearby (and there are many).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Will be staying here later this month (1st business trip since February, 2020).
Does anyone know if they will still accommodate late arrivals on their shuttle bus? I'll be landing after 11:30 PM and their website reads that the shuttle only runs until 11:00 PM. Is the main phone number the only method to contact them?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Will be staying here later this month (1st business trip since February, 2020).
Does anyone know if they will still accommodate late arrivals on their shuttle bus? I'll be landing after 11:30 PM and their website reads that the shuttle only runs until 11:00 PM. Is the main phone number the only method to contact them?
See below for the latest info I have seen (from a stay earlier this week).
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
See below for the latest info I have seen (from a stay earlier this week).
Same letter in my room today. Fact is that when I landed at 11:10 PM last night, I called the property and they said the shuttle was automatically running every 30 minutes. I missed the 11:15, but caught the 11:45 (with my DTW-based Delta flight crew that came in from MSP).

I checked in through the app and requested 3PM checkout. It was later confirmed. TIT-E has choice of breakfast or points.

Room is clean and spacious. Mini refrigerator is cold. Lighting is good. Plentiful USB and traditional power ports. 55" Samsung LED TV with access to Amazon Prime, Netflix...View of a small lake. Gym is very nice. Lots of Life Fitness machines. They have a refrigerator with cold towels.

This would have been a flawless stay had I not been locked out of my room this afternoon. I don't request late checkout often, but I have never seen it executed well at any property.
arlflyer and uanj like this.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Aug 1, 2021 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Room is clean and spacious. Mini refrigerator is cold. Lighting is good. Plentiful USB and traditional power ports. 55" Samsung LED TV with access to Amazon Prime, Netflix...View of a small lake. Gym is very nice. Lots of Life Fitness machines. They have a refrigerator with cold towels.

This would have been a flawless stay had I not been locked out of my room this afternoon. I don't request late checkout often, but I have never seen it executed well at any property.
Sounds about right - this is a good property that, while showing some wear and not the pinnacle of luxury, excels at what an airport hotel should do: provide a place to sleep, eat, and exercise.

Also agree that it is rare that late checkout gets executed at any property or chain without needing a re-coding of the room keys.
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Sounds about right - this is a good property that, while showing some wear and not the pinnacle of luxury, excels at what an airport hotel should do: provide a place to sleep, eat, and exercise.

Also agree that it is rare that late checkout gets executed at any property or chain without needing a re-coding of the room keys.
I like the rooms here, too. Quiet, nicely appointed, comfortable chair at the desk for working. Views will not inspire you, however.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Views will not inspire you, however.
The lake is relaxing (nice foliage on the maple trees in the fall, too), and the west-facing rooms get decent views of takeoffs (especially European departures in the evening), though you also get traffic on 28 from that side. But there are definitely office-park hotels with worse views!
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
The lake is relaxing (nice foliage on the maple trees in the fall, too), and the west-facing rooms get decent views of takeoffs (especially European departures in the evening), though you also get traffic on 28 from that side. But there are definitely office-park hotels with worse views!
Views are OK.... A bit on the peaceful side...
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:04 am
PRS

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold
On the Westin Washington Dulles Airport Website (and Marriott App listing), if you click on What to Expect (during COVID) it says:
At this hotel, please note that we currently offer the following Marriott Bonvoy benefits:
  • Breakfast: Titanium Level or Higher, Full Breakfast in Padella Restaurant
https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/iadwi
Isn't this inconsistent with the Bonvoy T&C which suggest that for Platinum Elite and above the welcome gift at Westin properties should be "1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)"?
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

I am Lifetime Platinum but have not stayed in many Westins recently so not clear on what to expect or ask for in terms of breakfast. Planning a one-night park & fly stay Thanksgiving week and if breakfast is not an option for Platinums I could stay at the SpringHill Suites Dulles Airport instead at an even lower price and get the standard breakfast there provided to all.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PRS
On the Westin Washington Dulles Airport Website (and Marriott App listing), if you click on What to Expect (during COVID) it says:
At this hotel, please note that we currently offer the following Marriott Bonvoy benefits:
  • Breakfast: Titanium Level or Higher, Full Breakfast in Padella Restaurant
https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/iadwi
Isn't this inconsistent with the Bonvoy T&C which suggest that for Platinum Elite and above the welcome gift at Westin properties should be "1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)"?
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

I am Lifetime Platinum but have not stayed in many Westins recently so not clear on what to expect or ask for in terms of breakfast. Planning a one-night park & fly stay Thanksgiving week and if breakfast is not an option for Platinums I could stay at the SpringHill Suites Dulles Airport instead at an even lower price and get the standard breakfast there provided to all.
I'd suggest you call directly and ask what they're providing Platinums for breakfast.

David
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Had a terrific stay here and agree that this hotel delivers exactly what an airport hotel should - a comfortable place to sleep, eat, and work out with a reliable airport shuttle.

The rooms are very comfortable. I was on the 7th floor and heard absolutely no noise whatsoever - the room was blissfully silent. Excellent bed and bedding, which seemed new. Big TV with plenty of stations. Pleasant view of the lake. Theromstat worked well and was quick to adjust the temperature.

Bathroom had the bizarre 39 Degree North bulk toiletries, but at least they were filled and operated correctly. Soap was Pharmacopia. No sign of white tea aloe - maybe it is gone or supply chain issues? Stand-alone shower (no tub), worked well, good water pressure and temperature control.

My room was upgraded to an "executive room" which included 2 free bottles of water, 2 free cans of Pepsi, and 2 free cans of Diet Pepsi. Not sure if this is only provided in Executive rooms. No lounge.

Gym had modern equipment and was adequate and open 24 hours - ~10 cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, bikes), 6 weight machines, and free weights. Plus some kind of other fitness station with exercise balls and assorted equipment.

Breakfast was buffet with coffee or tea and juice. Buffet had eggs, bacon, waffles or french toast depending on day, roasted potatoes, oatmeal, granola, fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, apples, oranges), various breads, and some yogurts. Best of all, the buffet included a make-your own omelet - you fill out a form with the ingredients you want and a fresh omelet is delivered.

The biggest surprise was the restaurant for dinner - it was fabulous. Seriously - it was a restaurant I would drive out of my way to eat at again. Very high-end, extremely well prepared food, reasonable prices. Very, very good.

Shuttle ran predictably and operates 24 hours. Silver line metro extension is now open, so you can catch it at the new IAD station, about a 10 minute walk from where the shuttle will drop you off.

Staff was very friendly and competent. Requested 4 pm check out and key was automatically coded to work properly without being reset.

Great stay - highly recommend as an airport hotel.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by DCFlyer0306; Dec 13, 2022 at 8:06 pm
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Had a terrific stay here and agree that this hotel delivers exactly what an airport hotel should - a comfortable place to sleep, eat, and work out with a reliable airport shuttle.

The rooms are very comfortable. I was on the 7th floor and heard absolutely no noise whatsoever - the room was blissfully silent. Excellent bed and bedding, which seemed new. Big TV with plenty of stations. Pleasant view of the lake. Theromstat worked well and was quick to adjust the temperature.

Bathroom had the bizarre 39 Degree North bulk toiletries, but at least they were filled and operated correctly. Soap was Pharmacopia. No sign of white tea aloe - maybe it is gone or supply chain issues? Stand-alone shower (no tub), worked well, good water pressure and temperature control.

My room was upgraded to an "executive room" which included 2 free bottles of water, 2 free cans of Pepsi, and 2 free cans of Diet Pepsi. Not sure if this is only provided in Executive rooms. No lounge.

Gym had modern equipment and was adequate and open 24 hours - ~10 cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals, bikes), 6 weight machines, and free weights. Plus some kind of other fitness station with exercise balls and assorted equipment.

Breakfast was buffet with coffee or tea and juice. Buffet had eggs, bacon, waffles or french toast depending on day, roasted potatoes, oatmeal, granola, fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, apples, oranges), various breads, and some yogurts. Best of all, the buffet included a make-your own omelet - you fill out a form with the ingredients you want and a fresh omelet is delivered.

The biggest surprise was the restaurant for dinner - it was fabulous. Seriously - it was a restaurant I would drive out of my way to eat at again. Very high-end, extremely well prepared food, reasonable prices. Very, very good.

Shuttle ran predictably and operates 24 hours. Silver line metro extension is now open, so you can catch it at the new IAD station where the shuttle will drop you off.

Staff was very friendly and competent. Requested 4 pm check out and key was automatically coded to work properly without being reset.

Great stay - highly recommend as an airport hotel.
Wait so their shuttle now drops off at the IAD Metro station and not the terminal? Confused…
Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Shuttle still drops off at the terminal, where all hotel shuttles drop off. I was pointing out the IAD Metro station and silver line extension are now open and you can walk there from the shuttle if you want to. Edited the post to try to make this more clear.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.