Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:51 pm

I've never gotten a platinum upgrade here in the eight or so years that the property has been open. Only got suites through SNAs or booking them directly.

Breakfast used to be pretty good, is barely passable now. The room rates are really good on weekends though, so this will always be a good option -- we use the AAA parking rates often before going on long trips.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
I've never gotten a platinum upgrade here in the eight or so years that the property has been open. Only got suites through SNAs or booking them directly.
same here....i've stayed here about a dozen times & the only time i got a suite upgrade was when i used snas....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I must have low standards as I thought the breakfast buffet was okay, if not impressive.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Any recent experience with shuttle service from IAD in the wee hours? I'll probably be looking for the shuttle around midnight. Does it keep circulating, and if not is there one of those free phones to call over from baggage claim? I have a Canadian mobile phone, and would prefer to avoid roaming charges to call for the shuttle, if needed.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by transportprof
Any recent experience with shuttle service from IAD in the wee hours? I'll probably be looking for the shuttle around midnight. Does it keep circulating, and if not is there one of those free phones to call over from baggage claim? I have a Canadian mobile phone, and would prefer to avoid roaming charges to call for the shuttle, if needed.
the shuttle is 24 hours....i've used it late at night & really early in the morning as well....but i don't remember seeing a phone at baggage claim to call the shuttle....i always use my cell to call the number on the hotel website....
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
the shuttle is 24 hours....i've used it late at night & really early in the morning as well....but i don't remember seeing a phone at baggage claim to call the shuttle....i always use my cell to call the number on the hotel website....
Thanks. I'd pay an extra $2 for roaming to call the hotel, so I'm motivated to find a 20th century free phone in the arrivals area, if such a thing still exists!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I'd pay an extra $2 for roaming to call the hotel, so I'm motivated to find a 20th century free phone in the arrivals area, if such a thing still exists!
when is your stay????i have a stay coming up here in a couple of weeks....i would be happy to look around & confirm if a 20th century free phone exists in the arrivals area....
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:32 am

when is your stay????i have a stay coming up here in a couple of weeks....i would be happy to look around & confirm if a 20th century free phone exists in the arrivals area....
Not till January, so any and all intel would be appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not till January, so any and all intel would be appreciated!
i'll look around for the phone & report back....
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Do they still give platinum and platinum premier members breakfast automatically, or have they made it so you have to choose breakfast as your welcome amenity gift?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by VA1379
Do they still give platinum and platinum premier members breakfast automatically, or have they made it so you have to choose breakfast as your welcome amenity gift?
Our experience was that they have made it so you have to choose breakfast as your welcome amenity in order to have it included. Or at least that has been our experience last week and this week. But this hotel now seems to more systematically grant the benefits regardless of booking type/channel -- although I'm not sure how consistent and enduring this will be.

FWIW or not, it seem like the included breakfast at the IAD Westin is worse than the Platinum breakfast possibilities at some of the other NoVA Starwood/Marriott hotels, including those which offer a $20/person (up to 2 persons, if at the table) credit for breakfast use by Platinums who choose the breakfast as the amenity.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately there is no free phone in the arrivals area....but there is an information desk & i'm sure if you ask then the folks there would be able to call the hotel for you....
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:52 pm

unfortunately there is no free phone in the arrivals area....but there is an information desk & i'm sure if you ask then the folks there would be able to call the hotel for you....
Thanks for the intel. It will save me time at 1 a.m. I wonder if there will be anyone at the info desk at that hour?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:50 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by VA1379

We stayed there, again, over the Labor Day holiday and received both breakfast and points without having to request. I have found that when asked to choose (at the other properties as the Westin Dulles never asks me to choose,) if you ask for both in a nice way, they are usually given.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I’m looking at this property for a flight over Christmas since there is a AAA rate that includes parking for up to 14 days at no extra cost over the regular AAA rate. I used to stay at the Hyatt Dulles a lot when I was a more frequent guest with Hyatt.

I’m not expecting their breakfast to be as good as some of the Marriott properties in the DC area that put out a really good buffet. Tysons Corner Marriott, Fairview Park Marriott, and Crystal Gateway Marriott have really good breakfast. Their breakfast buffets have lox, several types of fruit, eggs made to order, thick cut bacon, tons of pastries, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal and a couple of rotating hot dishes like French Toast, pancakes and asparagus salad.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Our experience was that they have made it so you have to choose breakfast as your welcome amenity in order to have it included. Or at least that has been our experience last week and this week. But this hotel now seems to more systematically grant the benefits regardless of booking type/channel -- although I'm not sure how consistent and enduring this will be.

FWIW or not, it seem like the included breakfast at the IAD Westin is worse than the Platinum breakfast possibilities at some of the other NoVA Starwood/Marriott hotels, including those which offer a $20/person (up to 2 persons, if at the table) credit for breakfast use by Platinums who choose the breakfast as the amenity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.