Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton BWI (Baltimore) [Master thread]

Sheraton BWI (Baltimore) [Master thread]

Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton BWI (Baltimore) [Master thread]

I have been coming to this forum for a long time and have received some of the best travel advice, promotions and what not. Today I am joining the forum as I wanted to post my experience with the Sheraton at the BWI airport.

I stay regularly at this hotel. In the last 1 month, the owners decided to completely revamp everything. First they got a new General Manager and now this new GM has fired half the existing staff (at all levels) and is hiring new ones. Just last week, he fired the Assistant GM. Funny thing is that yesterday he fired the Cook at the Restaurant and the Bartender ended up cooking the Chicken Wings for me. This hotel used to be very friendly under the previous managers. Everyone was kind of nice and you felt at home. I don't feel the same anymore. Has anyone else noticed any change?

An advice to anybody planning to stay at this hotel: Use your points. This is a Category 2 hotel and it is 100 times better than the Four Points BWI which is Category 3. For 4000 Points you can get a nice room and if you are Platinum, the Sheraton BWI will upgrade you to a very nice Suite.

The Four Points BWI is one of the worst Sheraton Hotels I have ever stayed in my 10 yrs of Consulting life. The Passageways are dimly lit and are at the most 7 ft in height. The rooms are small and dingy and if you decide to use Priceline for a hotel room in the BWI area, you can get this hotel anyday for 50$/Night and it is categorized as a 2.5* hotel by Priceline. I wrote an email to Priceline asking them to downgrade it to a 1*. I haven't heard back. The Food at this restaurant is excellent though.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldbuddy
IThe Food at this restaurant is excellent though.
At the Four Points? Or cooked by the bartender at the Sheraton?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldbuddy
I have been coming to this forum for a long time and have received some of the best travel advice, promotions and what not. Today I am joining the forum as I wanted to post my experience with the Sheraton at the BWI airport.

I stay regularly at this hotel. In the last 1 month, the owners decided to completely revamp everything. First they got a new General Manager and now this new GM has fired half the existing staff (at all levels) and is hiring new ones. Just last week, he fired the Assistant GM. Funny thing is that yesterday he fired the Cook at the Restaurant and the Bartender ended up cooking the Chicken Wings for me. This hotel used to be very friendly under the previous managers. Everyone was kind of nice and you felt at home. I don't feel the same anymore. Has anyone else noticed any change?

An advice to anybody planning to stay at this hotel: Use your points. This is a Category 2 hotel and it is 100 times better than the Four Points BWI which is Category 3. For 4000 Points you can get a nice room and if you are Platinum, the Sheraton BWI will upgrade you to a very nice Suite.

The Four Points BWI is one of the worst Sheraton Hotels I have ever stayed in my 10 yrs of Consulting life. The Passageways are dimly lit and are at the most 7 ft in height. The rooms are small and dingy and if you decide to use Priceline for a hotel room in the BWI area, you can get this hotel anyday for 50$/Night and it is categorized as a 2.5* hotel by Priceline. I wrote an email to Priceline asking them to downgrade it to a 1*. I haven't heard back. The Food at this restaurant is excellent though.
OB --

I have a stay there tomorrow, as as matter of fact. I assume you are Platinum, so how is the lounge in the evening and morning? With the changes you speak of, have they cut back on their lounge offerings?

Thanks,

NJ
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Golden Toque
At the Four Points? Or cooked by the bartender at the Sheraton?
I meant the Food at the Four Points is excellent. You should try the Crab Cakes there ... They are as good as the G&M ones.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
OB --

I have a stay there tomorrow, as as matter of fact. I assume you are Platinum, so how is the lounge in the evening and morning? With the changes you speak of, have they cut back on their lounge offerings?

Thanks,

NJ
I just replied to your PM
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Why not just stay at the much nicer Westin BWI next door?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:44 am

Programs: ??????????
or up the street at the aloft ... I haven't stayed at either the Sheraton or Westin ... anyone have a good negotiated rate there? I could really go for the Westin and the 500 extra points daily for making my bed and not demanding 2 new towels each day.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:24 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I could not find a Master Thread on this property so figured I would ask here. Does anyone have any recent experience here? Are breakfast and appetizer vouchers still offered on the weekends for Platinums?

Last edited by NDDomer86; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
Nice stay

I stayed at the Sheraton BWI a couple nights ago (the one next to the Westin, not the old Four Points). Very nice property. Got upgraded as a Gold -- imagine my surprise! -- to the club level. In the lounge there was a hot breakfast served buffet style in the morning. Not sure how this compares to other club lounges seeing as I rarely get upgrades. Rooms were spacious, and I particularly liked the massive desk, which spanned the entire wall underneath the window. Happy to answer any questions, though I was only there for about 10 hours all told so didn't really have time to enjoy the place beyond that.

Rate was $79 + taxes, hard to beat that.

Last edited by chriseng; Mar 23, 2010 at 8:04 pm Reason: added rate
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
ICK......

I'm staying her now for 3 nights. If it wasn't for the triple points promotion that's going on, I would have moved to the Westin next door!

A few "cons":
Hotel is not very close to BWI, and don't set your GPS from the Rental Car lot, it takes you through a forest and some "iffy" areas to get you to the hotel......you'll swear you're lost!

At check-in, clerk didn't ask what Platinum ammenity I wanted. Also announced loudly that I was on the 6th floor, when there were people standing very close behind me.....hate that, gives me the creeps when they announce where you're staying.

Room: 2 very large beetles climbing the walls....
No bathtub.....only a shower

Room Service: Limited, non-healthy food menu. And, they called me back to say they didn't have any CHARDONNAY, only White Zinfandel. You've got to be kidding me!!!????? How does a bar/resturaunt run out of Chardonnay? Unforgiveable..........

General Impression: No wonder there were bugs in my room, when I came back today there were stacks of room service trays from breakfast, dinner last night and gawd knows when stacked in the hallway. Clearly the maids had removed them from the rooms, but no one else had bothered to come up and retrieve them.

Internet service......it was spotty yesterday, and a little better today.

I am a loyal Platinum, but this hotel just seems to be barely scrapping by. More like a "good" 4 Points than a Sheraton.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smat
I'm staying her now for 3 nights. If it wasn't for the triple points promotion that's going on, I would have moved to the Westin next door!

A few "cons":
Hotel is not very close to BWI, and don't set your GPS from the Rental Car lot, it takes you through a forest and some "iffy" areas to get you to the hotel......you'll swear you're lost!

At check-in, clerk didn't ask what Platinum ammenity I wanted. Also announced loudly that I was on the 6th floor, when there were people standing very close behind me.....hate that, gives me the creeps when they announce where you're staying.

Room: 2 very large beetles climbing the walls....
No bathtub.....only a shower

Room Service: Limited, non-healthy food menu. And, they called me back to say they didn't have any CHARDONNAY, only White Zinfandel. You've got to be kidding me!!!????? How does a bar/resturaunt run out of Chardonnay? Unforgiveable..........

General Impression: No wonder there were bugs in my room, when I came back today there were stacks of room service trays from breakfast, dinner last night and gawd knows when stacked in the hallway. Clearly the maids had removed them from the rooms, but no one else had bothered to come up and retrieve them.

Internet service......it was spotty yesterday, and a little better today.

I am a loyal Platinum, but this hotel just seems to be barely scrapping by. More like a "good" 4 Points than a Sheraton.
When I read your review on Tripadvisor I thought all your comments were ridiculous except announcing what floor you would be on and the part about the beetles -- and I still do.

Fortunately, you are in the distinct minority when it comes to this hotel both here and on Tripadvisor.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
ICK part 2

Just killed another beetle in my room......can't wait to check out.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:58 pm
Suspended

The horror! You can use a nice glass of Chardonnay. Ooops, only Zin. The horror!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
While it has been 6 months or so, I greatly prefer this property over the Westin. While the Westin is nicer looking, the Sheraton has suites, upgrades and I loved the lounge at the Sheraton.

The Westin has no suites, rooms are so so and the lounge is adequate.

The aloft, sorry, I graduated college and dont need to stay in a dorm room again. Aloft fails in my eyes.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The beetles must be part of the healthy food menu. High in protein.

I'm thinking of ordering a Diet Coke, but only if they have a '78, since that was a much better year than the more pedestrian '82. Do you know if they carry it?

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.