Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I've stayed in both hotels. Stayed at the Ren for 2 weeks in June 2014, and stayed at the Marriott Waterfront for a week in February 2013.

Renaissance:
Pros:
-Located right off a major I-5 exit. Easy access to the highway. However, ask for a room that does NOT face the highway to minimize hearing the traffic.
- Nice club lounge, although I understand it was recently renovated.
- Rooftop bar/restaurant is nice and you get a good view of the city.
- Hotel offers both self-park and valet. Self-park very convenient.
- Rooms are very nice and decorated with beautiful oak accents.

Cons:
- At the very top of the hill. LONG walk down and LONG walk back up!!
- I feel like I don't get recognized as a Platinum member. I had to ask for free weekend breakfast access, when this should be standard for Platinum members.
- Not a lot of restaurant choices in the area without having to walk.

---
Marriott Waterfront:
Pros:
- Great location! Pike Place is a short walk away.
- Beautiful rooms and club lounge.
- Short walk to restaurants and attractions on Alaskan Way.

Cons:
- Valet parking only. Very frustrating when you have to wait 10-15 minutes for your car.
- Rates can be very high at certain times of the year, and a lot of times, your Corporate rate will not always work. Trying to negotiate your company's corporate rate to the manager over the phone will not work. believe me, I tried.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
<redacted>...
- Nice club lounge, although I understand it was recently renovated.
- Rooftop bar/restaurant is nice and you get a good view of the city.
...<redacted>
As I noted above, a brand new CL has been built out on the top floor (28th) and was open effective 17 Nov. It had been a couple years between my stays. The improvements I saw in the old CL during my stay the week of 10-14 Nov were very nice. But they couldn't overcome the biggest issue, space. What I saw in my peek through the glass doors of the new CL looks to be a much larger space. Hopefully there'll be no more waiting for tables at breakfast.

The restaurant/bar on the top floor (28th again) has been permanently closed. The story I got from staff was that they couldn't make the numbers work. In other words, it was a money loser.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
As I noted above, a brand new CL has been built out on the top floor (28th) and was open effective 17 Nov. It had been a couple years between my stays. The improvements I saw in the old CL during my stay the week of 10-14 Nov were very nice. But they couldn't overcome the biggest issue, space. What I saw in my peek through the glass doors of the new CL looks to be a much larger space. Hopefully there'll be no more waiting for tables at breakfast.

The restaurant/bar on the top floor (28th again) has been permanently closed. The story I got from staff was that they couldn't make the numbers work. In other words, it was a money loser.
I liked the bar up there. It's funny how they invest in the property but management is asleep when it comes to service. Wrong rooms (Double vs. King), failure to greet guest per brand standard (thank you for being an elite member vs. thank you for being a PP ... or even plat), and considering an I-5 view room on the club floor to be an upgrade is way out of line. After 30 nights this year at the Renn, I've decided to move to the Lake Union Courtyard where service is a little better.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
One other big consideration is the huge construction in the waterfront for the via duct. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/ While the waterfront is open, walking in the area is not easy in spots.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:41 pm

Stayed there on Vday weekend. Wonderful suite and city view. A surprising LED lamp. The only problem was the toilet was a little stuck and it took some time for staff to take care of it.

By the way, for all the others who have been there, do you remember the brand name of the LED lamp? I am seriously considering to get one for my home office.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:18 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Stayed there on Vday weekend. Wonderful suite and city view. A surprising LED lamp. The only problem was the toilet was a little stuck and it took some time for staff to take care of it.

By the way, for all the others who have been there, do you remember the brand name of the LED lamp? I am seriously considering to get one for my home office.
Which one did u stay at?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:10 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I don't know which one you saw but
this this
is sometimes referred to as the "iPhone of desk lamps."
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As part of the current brand-specific promo I stayed at both the Springhill (SHS) and TownePlace (TPS) in Renton, which are jointly managed, located in the same lot. Sorry I have no photos, but a quick comparison of my experience of a studio at each (although SHS could be considered a "junior suite" I suppose, separate door-less doorway for bedroom). SHS room was $25 less.

At first glance, it might seem that it's one property with three buildings, but the third building, behind the Hilton Garden Inn, is SHS. Entrance on the "far" side of the building. Check-in was fine, got what I'd booked with no upgrade mentioned or requested.

Strange J-shaped (fishhook) layout with kitchenette to left of door, and small living room/lounge followed by the bedroom area, sink to the left, and then bathroom to the left of that (behind the kitchen table).

Two things stood out, and not in a good way: analog TV reception was pretty bad - flashbacks to days of rabbit ears (for us geezers), while the "kitchen" was pretty punk having a mini-fridge and mini-microwave (rotary dial, not push button). Scrounged up one clean plastic plate to heat my food, no utensils provided, so my snap-together kit came in quite handy. I suppose those items are to be found in the breakfast area if needed? Breakfast was okay, nothing special: think Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc.

TPS featured the same lack of (non-discussed) upgrade, with a mention of "breakfast is 'down there' (vaguely to his left) in the morning." A statement that had more meaning the next day. Room featured a full kitchen (along the lines of Staybridge or Homewood), with the bed behind that; a couch positioned beyond the foot of the bed served as the "living room" with a desk by the front door, across from the kitchen. Oddest feature had to do with the television placed just to the right of the foot of the bed facing the couch, so that I was concerned I might slam into it if nature called in the night (didn't happen).

Breakfast was the weak point here, not so much for the offerings (again Hampton/HIX/Fairfield-ish), but the design! Off the top of my head, the property must have at least 60 rooms, while the breakfast room seated roughly 15 - 20 people! There were folks crowded in the lobby chairs as well as at the two outdoor tables near the entrance. On my way out I joked about the ridiculous planning with a family who luckily snagged one of the al fresco spots. I've been to joints where seats are at a premium at times (think: Embassy Suites receptions), but a dining area that seats barely 20 by intentional design?

Apologies for the lack of photos, but hope any readers get the general idea.

My "verdict" would be that the choice here depends on your priorities and budget. I found TPS a nicer experience (yes, I snagged a breakfast seat), but was conscious of those missing 50% points.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Had a recent 2 night stay at the REN Seattle. The stay reinforced why most Marriott-family hotels are meh:
  • The check-in agent did not bother trying to find the best available room. Instead, I was assigned to a basic, 2 double room on the 8th floor. My colleague, who was with another check-in agent, got a king deluxe room on the 21st floor after a few minutes of searching. My agent did not bother ask me about my preference. Since the corporate rate used did not specify room type, can't claim room preference guarantee.
  • The $10 F&B credit was specified by the check-in agent that it cannot be used for alcohol, even though I still cannot find references on which states/jurisdictions where this rule applies. The bartender gave us the credit anyways.
  • The 2-double standard room was OK. One of the design flaws was the entrance hallway light was not next to the door - it's on a wall past the bathroom. I had to turn on the bathroom lights to find the hallway/room ceiling lights. While the renovated room has plenty of power plugs, the bed itself was springy, and furnishings (such as the ironing board) felt cheap. The bottled water in the room was free, at least for this Platinum member.
  • The CL lounge has a nice breakfast selection, with a rotating breakfast potato and sausage menu. Great view from the lounge on the top floor. This was probably the highlight of the stay.
  • The main hotel restaurant was closed on Tuesday night. Instead, everyone was crammed in the lobby bar, which has bar seating for 10 and another 15 tables. An automatic 20% gratuity is applied to every check. Drink prices are on the higher end, with one of my glass of cinsault priced at $15 (one of the new selections that was not on the menu).
  • Self parking was $43/night.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Automatic tipping (20%) is becoming common in Seattle as an employer-offset of the $15/hr minimum wage.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Had a recent 2 night stay at the REN Seattle. The stay reinforced why most Marriott-family hotels are meh:
  • The check-in agent did not bother trying to find the best available room. Instead, I was assigned to a basic, 2 double room on the 8th floor. My colleague, who was with another check-in agent, got a king deluxe room on the 21st floor after a few minutes of searching. My agent did not bother ask me about my preference. Since the corporate rate used did not specify room type, can't claim room preference guarantee.
  • The $10 F&B credit was specified by the check-in agent that it cannot be used for alcohol, even though I still cannot find references on which states/jurisdictions where this rule applies. The bartender gave us the credit anyways.
  • The 2-double standard room was OK. One of the design flaws was the entrance hallway light was not next to the door - it's on a wall past the bathroom. I had to turn on the bathroom lights to find the hallway/room ceiling lights. While the renovated room has plenty of power plugs, the bed itself was springy, and furnishings (such as the ironing board) felt cheap. The bottled water in the room was free, at least for this Platinum member.
  • The CL lounge has a nice breakfast selection, with a rotating breakfast potato and sausage menu. Great view from the lounge on the top floor. This was probably the highlight of the stay.
  • The main hotel restaurant was closed on Tuesday night. Instead, everyone was crammed in the lobby bar, which has bar seating for 10 and another 15 tables. An automatic 20% gratuity is applied to every check. Drink prices are on the higher end, with one of my glass of cinsault priced at $15 (one of the new selections that was not on the menu).
  • Self parking was $43/night.
Prior to moving to Seattle, this was my primary hotel on all visits.

They do tend to be a bit light on PLT acknowledgement. The only way I can defend this is that the hotel can tend to being occupied by a lot of elites. If you need validation (i.e., DYKWIA), this place won't work for you.

As far as beds go, the desk agent can't read minds. If the profile and res show no preference, then they won't see a need to fulfill the request.

I don't know about the $10 F&B credit, having always preferred points.

The renovation has taken the rooms toward a more modern feel. Switches seemed to have been relocated, though I seem to remember one being next to the door.

The 20% automatic service charge has become standard for many Seattle restaurants. This was a strategic move by larger hospitality groups (i.e., restaurants, bars, and hotels). With the $15 minimum wage, the high end places are just adding it to the bill and eliminating tipping. I have taken the position that it places greater obligation on the company to earn the 20% service charge. If it's non-negotiable, then if it's not been earned the customer is less likely to return. Why pay for something that isn't earned? The only thing I don't like is when they have the mandatory 20% service charge yet include a line on the CC receipt for "additional tip". The places that tend to do that are the same ones that collect 20% then share only a portion of it with the staff.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I agree the Ren is a little on the Meh side. I wouldn't stay there but for the MR credit.

That being said, I think they have a new management company. I've been there three times in the last month ... complained moderately at checkin about the lack of upgrade as a plat premier. Then the next two times I was upgraded in advance to a corner room.

The lounge has great views but the food is a step down from last year when I was staying here more often.

And the Seattle 20 percent thing is goofy.

Hopefully, once the programs are integrated and the hotel realizes they have to compete with the W, the Westin, and the Sheraton for the downtown business crowd, they will decide to step up their game.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm thinking of doing a trip to Seattle during the Columbus Day weekend (Oct 5-8) with my wife. Which Marriott property should I be looking to stay at? Looking for something close to downtown/pike place market, either newish or recently renovated. Looking for something higher end - 4* or 5*.

I've only previously stayed at the Hyatts (Olive 8, Grand) and the Fairmont Olympic. It looks like a choice between Seattle Marriott Waterfront, the Renaissance, and maybe the Starwood properties (Westin, Sheraton)? Any opinions? Looking for a nice relaxing weekend where we lounge around the room/hotel.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by arnel
I'm thinking of doing a trip to Seattle during the Columbus Day weekend (Oct 5-8) with my wife. Which Marriott property should I be looking to stay at? Looking for something close to downtown/pike place market, either newish or recently renovated. Looking for something higher end - 4* or 5*.

I've only previously stayed at the Hyatts (Olive 8, Grand) and the Fairmont Olympic. It looks like a choice between Seattle Marriott Waterfront, the Renaissance, and maybe the Starwood properties (Westin, Sheraton)? Any opinions? Looking for a nice relaxing weekend where we lounge around the room/hotel.
All of them will suit your needs, just some better than others. The Ren is nice, but a couple blocks from the core tourist areas (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and closer to the business district. The Waterfront will offer great views. It should be nice and quiet with most of the summer cruise traffic over by October. It'll be closer to Pike and Belltown. The Sheraton and Weston are large hotels in the shopping core and near the convention center. I've never stayed at either. My recommendation would be to confirm there are no large conventions your chosen weekend, if you choose one of these. Otherwise you'll be in the crowd. If I were choosing a quiet hotel for the weekend, it would be the Waterfront.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.