Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seattle, WA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the advise and will take into consideration the weather. I knew Seattle was famous for being rainy but didn't know October was one of the wetter months. We'll be prepared for it.

Originally Posted by OU812
Don't know how long you staying in Seattle, but there is a lot to visit near Seattle that is not in the downtown area.

Victoria, BC and Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island are beautiful.

Snoqualmie Falls is another beautiful location that is a about an hour east on I-90 from downtown Seattle.

Mt. Rainer is great place to visit, but depending on when you are traveling in Oct., some of the roads at the higher elevations may be closed. Also, there is a lot to see there, so a day might not do it justice.

Something else to keep in mind, October and November are typically some of the wetter months in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest, so pack and plan your day trips accordingly.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Would just add to the "day-trip" recommendations a ferry ride - particularly if you can get a semi-dry day. Bremerton is about 1 hour each way, has several restaurants (plus a Navy museum) right outside the ferry terminal and makes for a very nice ride. If decent weather, nothing quite like approaching Seattle via ferry! Seattle ferry terminal (Colman Dock) is basically straight down the hill from the Renaissance.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
Any recent comparisons--next week I am looking at a $190 total price difference over three nights to stay at the Waterfront as compared to the Renaissance/anyone think it's worth the difference?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JohnB50
Any recent comparisons--next week I am looking at a $190 total price difference over three nights to stay at the Waterfront as compared to the Renaissance/anyone think it's worth the difference?
Seriously doubt it's worth the difference.

But a bit confused on asking for recent comparisons. Ren/WF gets asked quite frequently in this forum & latest reports were in August of this year. I get comparisons when a long time has gone by, but when it's only a couple of months, not so much.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I recently did a week at the Renaissance in Seattle. I liked the lounge and top floor bar. What I didn't like was the experience as a Platinum Premier.

At check-in around midnight, the clerk assured me that I had received an "upgrade" to a suite on the concierge level. When I got to the room, it was certainly not a suite and there was nothing about the concierge level that would make it an upgrade. On top of that, the room was on the north side towards I-5. I realized that the traffice noise, even on the 27th floor, would be an issue. I was too tired to duke it out about changing rooms, so I went to bed. At 5:35am, I awoke to the start of rush hour. After realizing that the lounge was open at 6 am but no food until 6:30, I went downstairs to check on moving to another room. The same clerk seemed puzzled when I mentioned the traffic noise. He evidently doesn't understand the acoustic properties of interstate traffic and how it can carry up to high levels on a building. He promised to enter the request and I left.
I stopped by the front desk again after lunch to complete the room move. The clerk assured me that I was being upgraded to a suite. All they did was move me to the opposite corner of the building on a different floor. No upgrade, no suite. As a co-worker put it after hearing my story, I got "up"-graded to a high floor and it was "sweeeet".
I was miffed because my profile specifically states "quiet room" to keep me away from elevators, ice machines and traffic. It really irritates me to hear that I'm being upgraded to a suite when in fact I'm not. I'd rather them be honest and tell me there aren't any suites available.

Back to the OP's original ask: the Marriott down by Elliott Bay is a nice location due to it's proximity to Pike Market and the bay side restaurants and tourist attractions. The rooms are comfortable and quiet with no traffic noise. The Renaissance is better for access to the convention center and nearby shopping/restaurants.

Renting a car in Seattle is expensive and parking is painful, like any urban area. The light rail from the airport is cheap but slow. Cab rides are $35-40 which is usually equivalent to one day of hotel valet parking. Walking downtown isn't bad as long as you're moving parallel to the waterfront. While staying at the Renaissance, I would usually walk when leaving the hotel and take a cab when returning (the up hill leg).
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I', planning a 5 night vacation for August using MR points. After reviewing this helpful thread, I have a few questions:
Is the WF worth 20k more points than the Renaissance?
What are the current plat. breakfast policies on weekends?
Which has a better chance for upgrade?
Do they have good fitness facilities for weight training?
Are there any rental car facilities nearby for short term rentals?

I greatly appreciate your advice. Happy new year.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Armani
Is the WF worth 20k more points than the Renaissance?
What are the current plat. breakfast policies on weekends?
Which has a better chance for upgrade?
Do they have good fitness facilities for weight training?
Are there any rental car facilities nearby for short term rentals?
1) It depends on what you want. Water views are more plentiful at WF. You may find the 20k pts is well worth it for that. Ren has a great central location, which better suits my needs.

2) The Ren provides weekend breakfast certs.

3) Upgrades are tough in August. Peak season in Seattle.

4) Ren workout room is basic Marriott stuff.

5) There is a rental car office in the Hilton down the street from Ren.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
1) It depends on what you want. Water views are more plentiful at WF. You may find the 20k pts is well worth it for that. Ren has a great central location, which better suits my needs.

2) The Ren provides weekend breakfast certs.

3) Upgrades are tough in August. Peak season in Seattle.

4) Ren workout room is basic Marriott stuff.

5) There is a rental car office in the Hilton down the street from Ren.
Thanks for the helpful information. Perhaps it would be better to visit the area after labor day. Would the weather still be decent in mid-September? I know that it can rain a lot in October. We are also considering Portland, but Seattle appears to have more things to do, and both hotels appear to be well located in Seattle.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Armani
Thanks for the helpful information. Perhaps it would be better to visit the area after labor day. Would the weather still be decent in mid-September? I know that it can rain a lot in October. We are also considering Portland, but Seattle appears to have more things to do, and both hotels appear to be well located in Seattle.
September weather is still very nice. If part of your plan includes Mt Rainier, you will have better luck with August. During my last visit, tv news mentioned December and January are their rainiest months. I didn't verify for accuracy.

If you're new to Seattle, summer rains are rarely downpours. Take rain jackets, not umbrellas. Let me know if you want resto recommendations near the Ren.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I forget if we covered this upthread years ago, but regarding upgrades...

- The Waterfront Marriott has given me true suite upgrades on occasion - always for short stays and usually somewhat outside their peak season. Figure out a five-nighter in the summer, there will be at least one cruise departure crowd moving through (if not more) and chances are good the hotel will be sold out or close enough to it for part of the time. I would wager that an upgrade is a 1 in 20 chance or worse on that kind of stay. On the plus side, the regular rooms are very good and as a Gold or Plat I usually had high floor with a little balcony. It was nice to open up the room and get fresh air - something you can't do at the Renaissance.

- As for the Renaissance, I never received a suite there: I get the sense that they don't have many. However, because it's a high-rise building I usually was able to get a corner room which sort of has a mini-suite feel to it with a sitting area separate from the sleeping area, connected by a short hallway. (Think Embassy Suites or perhaps Springhill Suites sized room...) If you get a high floor and an xx01 or xx10 room, you'll have excellent views of downtown and the water. They shouldn't hesitate to assign one of these to a Plat if they have one available.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
September weather is still very nice. If part of your plan includes Mt Rainier, you will have better luck with August. During my last visit, tv news mentioned December and January are their rainiest months. I didn't verify for accuracy.

If you're new to Seattle, summer rains are rarely downpours. Take rain jackets, not umbrellas. Let me know if you want resto recommendations near the Ren.
Rainiest depends on the definition. The months with the most rain are often November and April, when we can get downpours. October can have some very nice "September-like" days but the clouds usually set in by mid-Oct. December and January is more drizzle and clouds, with an occasional "sun break". April and May can have some many nice days, great for enjoying the spring blooms which are numerous and very impressive. June goes down hill again. Summers (which start after July 4) are very nice.

Despite what the movies shot in Seattle show, downpours are rare in the winter. Also we usually get a week of cold weather (defined as low 20s at night and highs in the upper 30s) in the winter, which means sparkling clear weather. The mountains are truly spectacular.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
September weather is still very nice. If part of your plan includes Mt Rainier, you will have better luck with August.. .
Not sure about the better luck with August statement. I have actually had better luck in Mt. Rainier during early Sept., it is less crowded as most of the kids are back at school and their parents back at work. Later Sept., can be questionable though as the region starts seeing more rain. Actually peak time for Mt. Rainier is June through late July. Depending on the snow pack from the winter, the melting snow produces awesome views at the waterfalls.

Regards,

RIP
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
I've got a 1 night stay coming up in about a week and am debating between the Marriott Waterfront and the Renaissance. Looks like both are equally decent choices, but I see a note on the Ren website that the pool and spa are closed indefinitely.

Anyone know what's going on with this?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
I've got a 1 night stay coming up in about a week and am debating between the Marriott Waterfront and the Renaissance. Looks like both are equally decent choices, but I see a note on the Ren website that the pool and spa are closed indefinitely.

Anyone know what's going on with this?
You could call the hotel & ask , and report back.

If your 1-night is on a weekend, the Ren gives breakfast certs. Waterfront does not.

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I just finished another stay at the Ren during the week and have some room recommendations and comments on the CLounge. I prefer the location over the WF Marriott for the easy walk downhill to the Federal Building and office towers and it is also adjacent to the US District Court. But below are things you want to consider if I5 road noise is not your deal. The front of the hotel faces NE, right over I5 and as much as 9 lanes of traffic. None of these rooms have acoustic deadening drapes or shades.

This time I was assigned room 1923, and quickly asked for a new one. It was 1901, and that wasn't so hot either. Finally, I was in 2005. That was quieter, worked fine, facing SW or downtown and "downslope" where other rooms I've been in have faced before.

There were some large groups in the hotel last week, which was nearly full, which may have explained the default room assignment over I5.

Each floor has 26 rooms. You want XX02-XX13. XX01 is on the SW corner, but with sound propagation and the tall building next door it's as noisy as fronting I5.

The lounge overlooks I5 but is high enough that the road noise is not bad. It's got one hot dish at night (mini-burritos, mushroom caps, egg rolls) with some crudities/dip, cold cuts, cheese and sliced Italian bread and fruit. It's a bar setup, not an honor system. Breakfast is good. Oatmeal, cold cereal, eggs and either sausage or ham. Bagels, bread and a decent toaster. Good selection of fruit and juices. Nice staff at all times.

Common areas are nice, including the FITCEN. The main floor bar is granite and nice and wide, good for getting something from the bar menu.

The rooms are fine, but avoid XX14-XX26 and XX01 on the I5 side. Also, rooms are not well set up for plugging in electronics except for the desk. None of the lamps have a base plug, so you have to hunt for an outlet. Furniture is a little worn but the beds are modern and comfortable.

I like the property for location and common areas and staff, including the CLounge, but it's time for a few room updates and some kind of plan to manage road noise from the rooms overlooking I5.

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.