Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Overhead (never checked... )
For TSA... I routinely travel with half a box to a full box... And they usually send them bqck thru for another look... Guess I should 'declare' them like liquids to expedite the process or at least put them seperate
Don't know about declaring them, but I would count them before I walked away from the checkpoint
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:05 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

For TSA... I routinely travel with half a box to a full box... And they usually send them bqck thru for another look... Guess I should 'declare' them like liquids to expedite the process or at least put them seperate
When I did it, it was a small airport with few people around (once there was nobody in sight ohter than my wife & I). I discreetly called over the TSA guy and showed him what was in each box ($500 coins per box, pulled out of my bag and put into bins). They had no issues with them.

When I went through IAH this week, I had 3 rolls of $25 for tolls, vending machines, tips, etc. The TSA guys pulled my bag apart because of it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
....Thus the rudeness.
....and....use SIV's to hide bad investments, weaken mark-to-market to cloak devalued and illiquid ABS's, borrow at 0% from the Fed and then loan it back in treasury securities.

Rudeness, or biting the hand that feeds it?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:12 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
What about counting the coins?

Did you time how long it took you to unroll all the coins? IIRC, you usually desposit a car load.
No need to count; they take your word for it. $6K took too long. I am on Plan B now .
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Just wondering... why are you taking coins on a plane?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:54 am

My experience

I've been taking coins, boxed and rolled straight from the mint, into my local Bank of America for a few months now. Probably $40k total, no more than $8k at once. They've never given me any trouble. The tellers all know me and I've explained how the process works. They think its great. A few of them have even said they were going to try it themselves.

Last week they told me they had to unroll them all, but the teller I got said she didn't mind doing that since it got her off the desk for a few minutes. The Assistant Manager was a little less friendly, but he told me if I brought the $250 boxes still sealed, they could deposit them directly like that, without having to break the rolls. So that's what I'll do from now on.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgstecker
I've been taking coins, boxed and rolled straight from the mint, into my local Bank of America for a few months now. Probably $40k total, no more than $8k at once. They've never given me any trouble. The tellers all know me and I've explained how the process works. They think its great. A few of them have even said they were going to try it themselves.

Last week they told me they had to unroll them all, but the teller I got said she didn't mind doing that since it got her off the desk for a few minutes. The Assistant Manager was a little less friendly, but he told me if I brought the $250 boxes still sealed, they could deposit them directly like that, without having to break the rolls. So that's what I'll do from now on.
can you share where you are located? would love to go to that branch! it takes me 30 mins after the shipment to open all the boxes and put $500 into a box instead of $250. this sound slike a dream come true!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgstecker

I beleive someone has reported he/she have found the $250 boxes short for one roll, on at least 2 occasions. Therefore the poster cautioned people not to deposit sealed boxes.

Wonder if the sealed boxes later found short of rolls, what would the bank do to reconcile such?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by pkerr
I've done so to fund tips while in LAS. And I have fewer dollar coins in my living room now than I've had in probably half a year.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:52 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried and Failed to Spend Coins Today

Decided to keep $500 back and "circulate." What better place than the Coaster ticket machine in San Diego county that gives dollar coins as change? Well, even though it was clearly marked as accepting $1 coins, they did not fit in this morning no matter how I fiddled.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by pkerr
One of my local banks LOVES the presidents, but can't get them from anyone but me, or so they say. I get some when I take in a few grand in NA's, but if I take in some presidents, they are all smiles for a week or two. So I used every local address that I could to get presidents. When I went to see family this summer, I had the presidents shipped there and transported them home to give to the bank. I give them $500 here or there and it keeps 'em happy
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:32 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My bank branch hasn't given me any heat yet. I've only done 10k or so lifetime, never more than 1k at a time. They actually keep them and circulate them. There is some demand for the presidents now.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
There are a number of posts in the last day or so that are teetering on omni-essence. Let's keep the off topic chatter to a minimum.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LLM
As long as it is not US Bank. Went like a charm until this week when they told me their depository sent back all my rolled coins to be bagged. They won't take any more unless I unroll them. I did some today, eek. They did offer me a chair and a wastebasket .
My US Bank branch takes the coins in the back, the teller unrolls them and sends them through the counting machine. I have offered to unroll and they refuse. Of course, I am doing small deposits ($500-1000 at a time to cover new card spend requirements rather than to get the points per dollar) rather than car loads at a time.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
What is the typical turn around time from order to arrival?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.