Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 13, 11, 2:40 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
When exactly does one get charged? When the order is placed or when shipped, or when the goods reached?
The CC gets authorized once your order goes to "In process" and charged when it gets shipped
Old Jun 13, 11, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
I am lucky that I have never needed to do that. It takes long enough to open the large boxes, slice the tops off the small boxes, throw out all the random paper they put inside, and then break down the large boxes for the recycling bin.

If I actually had to unroll all of the coins... well, I dont know if it would be worth it then! (actually, I am sure I would still do it ... I would just complain more )
lol yah I know what you mean. Me too, until Im done baggin
(and now we know why banks hate these, since the way most must send out is by bagging them before they get sent out)

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
When exactly does one get charged? When the order is placed or when shipped, or when the goods reached?

I want to make some urgent purchases but don't want to wait for the mint to start running again.
it is unclear as of late. Used to be right around when it shipped. I cannot be certain when it will ship though so my card is kinda 'locked up' for use until it does. And there have been cases where I have the coins in hand and it still has not charged until the next day.
I always wonder if they will forget once.
Old Jun 13, 11, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by jpripcord View Post
That is fine for 1K every now and then, but that's not really a scalable option.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. I've had to break the rolls pretty much since day one and once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty quick operation. I spent a little over an hour on the back porch Saturday, enjoying a coffee and breaking down that days delivery of coin.

It does help that my bank has a counter with a $2k bag and very friendly staff.

Originally Posted by sunk818 View Post
What's the quickest way to unroll coin wrappers? I was thinking a box cutter while wearing thick leather work gloves. I tried breaking by hitting the coins on a hard surface, but my hand hurts after about doing this ten times.
I have a utility knife (a real one, not one of those thin sheet metal box cutters - get one that feels good in your hand). Open 3 of the boxes and set the rolls out, use the 4th as your hard surface. Hold the roll in 1 hand on the 4th box, slit it lengthwise with the knife. Run the all the rolls and then go back to pop them open. Then do the 4th box. You don't really need a hard surface if you pay attention. I've done many orders just using my knee as a work surface. Use a small tupperware to empty them into as it's easier than trying to keep a bag open.

For the wrappers (if you're worried bout someone seeing them) I keep 1 of the shipping boxes. Seal it back up after you remove the contents, and then on one end, cut a 2x2 hole and shove all the wrappers into that. A box will hold about $25k worth of wrappers.
Old Jun 13, 11, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, I've just thought of 2 more methods to try...after all, some here work on an industrial scale:

1) soak the rolls, and like a label on a can of beans, its paper may just slide away from the coins. Just make sure your sink's drain cover is on.

2) fire/oven lol why not try it?

In fact I have a few rolls and I think I will. I could set the oven on CLEAN cycle one evening with say $5k rolls in there on a tray and just let er rip!

Ok Ok I will try it with just one the next time I have to cook something at 450

MM
Old Jun 13, 11, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have completed the initial water test.

I would like to leave the rolls soaking a bit longer but it has worked rather well. The paper pulled off rather easily and I used a small bucket with water to do this so the coins were in the water now.

I put them on a dish towel but one could also use a big beach towel to dry them.

Of course there's the fact that they may not get 100% dry when you go to bag them and your piles on towels should also be only $1k, but here's the thing:

some banks--namely this big omni-present blue and red bank in America (not naming names) claim to take bags and do everything by weight. So if your coins are wet, they may weigh more!

You would bring them in saying each are $1,000 and later see a potential credit on your account for something like $3.48 lol

This could maybe make up for the sorrows of one poster in here from months ago who said his multi-thousands in deposits was later debited by that same bank when the bank said he was off by $33 and change. His answer: If I just deposited dollar coins, how could I be off by change? Last I heard they never replied to that nor did he get his money back.

I have been told by this same bank that they will take any amount of coins in their big bank bags so long as they are sealed $1k bags with my acct number on them, and that when I bring them to the branch that I should call first to accept them, they will send them out to a facility that verifies them and uses an uber counting machine a lot like the ones some banks have in their lobbies but much more robust. This process takes about a week but then you see your entire deposit credit to your account.

So, if you don't mind getting wet, go for it. And you may or may not get a few $ credit.

I will later try the 'coins by fire' method and see if this compromises the metal and thus its worth.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Ok Ok I will try it with just one the next time I have to cook something at 450
I'd suggest doing it when you are cooking something at 451 at least.

Ike
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq View Post
I'd suggest doing it when you are cooking something at 451 at least.

Ike
do you by chance refer to this film?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/

Old Jun 13, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
I'd suggest doing it when you are cooking something at 451° at least.

Ike

It was a book first and foremost.
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:57 am

Programs: Any and All
2 Questions - Refresher

I'm sure these questions have been asked at one point, but I thought it would be appropriate for a refresher:

1 - What's the longest you have had an order "On Hold - In Stock and Reserved" that eventually went In Process and shipped?

2 - If a $1,000 charge posts to your card while the order is still "On Hold", will it eventually ship? How long would you wait before calling the mint?

3 - I'm sure everyone has noticed the backorder date on existing orders keeps moving back. Does anyone have an answer from the Mint as to why this is happening? Some orders process relatively quickly while others are backordered seemingly indefinitely.

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:02 am

That would be the one, and the book before it, and the underlying fact that 451 is the kindling point of paper.

I suspect the stove-burn method is going to take a while, due to requiring the coins to cool down. Also, probably not a great idea to have too much paper burning in your stove. Just a thought.
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:20 am

That would be the one, and the book before it, and the underlying fact that 451 is the kindling point of paper.

I suspect the stove-burn method is going to take a while, due to requiring the coins to cool down. Also, probably not a great idea to have too much paper burning in your stove. Just a thought.
Agreed. I'd use a propane torch instead.
Old Jun 13, 11, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
I am lucky that I have never needed to do that. It takes long enough to open the large boxes, slice the tops off the small boxes, throw out all the random paper they put inside, and then break down the large boxes for the recycling bin.

If I actually had to unroll all of the coins... well, I dont know if it would be worth it then! (actually, I am sure I would still do it ... I would just complain more )
Something that I found that works GREAT for opening the mint big boxes as well as the box of the 10 rolls is a letter opener. I am talking those retangular shapped ones that companies use as promos that are made of plastic with the little blade at the end.

I can just slit the box open, remove all the excess paper the mint puts in, slit open the $250 boxes and just verify the amounts and take them over to the bank. And for the ones that come to my PO Box, it is easy to just put it in a shirt or pants pocket and slit open the boxes at the Post office and verify the amoutns before walkign them to the bank.

I also take it with me to the bank and when I make the deposit slit the tape on the bottom and fold up the boxes neatly and put them beside their trash can and their janitor puts them in their recycling bin when he cleans.

The sharp plastic tip is also great for quickly removing the paper on the top of the roll on the coins that I do put back into circulation.
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Can you attach a jpeg of your letter opener? I'm sure it's commonly available, but I just can't picture it.
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by jpripcord View Post
So I walked into my TD bank this morning (hard for me to do this on weekdays as I'm in work before banks open and get out after they close). The teller at the bank said that all coins had to be unrolled and put into the machines.

I had 3K in coins and I was not about to sit there an unroll coins

I live in NYC and there is a Wells Fargo, Chase, and Capital One all within a block from me (Didn't go to any of these banks because they weren't open on Sunday).

I just read the last 10 or 20 pages of this thread and didn't see any advice for "coin friendly banks". I'm happy to open an account at one of the banks mentioned above if I knew they would accept my coin deposits every few weeks. Any advice for a good bank chain?
Try Royal Bank of Scotland, they are GREAT about accepting the coins if you have a good relationship with them. I think they actually operate at RBS in NYC but they could operate as Citizens or Charter one.

When I first started oding this they LOVED getting the coins. They had a retailer who wanted them, but the bank would only sell him what they received in (which wasn't much until I started doing this) because ironically the mint charged them a pretty penny to order the coins in bulk. That's the federal government for you, they eat credit card fees and shipping so people like us can earn miles to get the coins in "circulation" but charges a bank to order them for a client that actually uses them

I am obvously giving them a lot more coins than they need now and it's a standing joke with the one teller and me that everytime she sees me come in she looks over the counter to see if I have a box I'll have to get all the girls there gift cards for Christmas as welel as the sweet lady that works at the post office counter Sometimes they have problems with vault space and they will ask me to hold off xxx days till their vault is cleaned out and on those days I jsut go to another bank we have some commercial accounts with and trade the coins in for currency and take the currency to RBS to depsoit.

I also deal with RBS investments for a couple investments and have used them for that purpose as well with no problem.

Personally I would rather use a coin counter like TD has. I know it takes a little longer, but you won't be upsetting any tellers and risk having them tell you the coins won't be accepted.
Old Jun 13, 11, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Too bad there is not a setting to hide useless posts (many of which are mine) then this thread would be about three pages long!
I agree, this has turned into a blog for some.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: