Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

Although the Merry-Go-Round located between the Waterfront and Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston does accept coins for rides, and so do all the balloon vendors around this area of the city.
MM
Let me know next time you are in the city. I work a block from there.

Assuming/hoping that one day the B/O will be gone and shipping will be more predictable round here, it's too bad the mortgage isn't $3,250 so you could simply COIN them without having to walk in! Just send it TO the bank whereas the ship-to address is the bloke who heads up mortgages there and the second line of the address field is your account number. Then again there's nothing stopping you from sending in the extra $10 each month now is there?
Nothing at all. Every time my wife gets a check from doing a survey or Mr. Rebates or something, she pays it toward the mortgage. Including the $1 ones.

Mike
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by TexasYankee
Anyone know if I open a checking account at Capital One will they allow large coin deposits? With no fee of course!
Tried that. They said all the coins have to go through the counting machine. There is no way in h**l I'm dealing with that.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by dayone
You don't really understand FT, do you?

If one posts, those posts can be judged, analyzed, praised, challenged, discounted, dismissed or made fun of.
I come to FT to share information and experiences. If others come to make moral judgements or to poke fun, there are plenty of other forums that will better suit your needs.

Either way, personal attacks are no fun and that's what I was getting at. Certain peoples' accounts (ahem) have been suspended for such.

Originally Posted by teammjs
LOL. This coming from the guy who thinks his personal political opinions belong on every FT post he makes via his sig...why don't you practice what you preach.
Not sure I see the correlation there... I've PM'd you.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Tried that. They said all the coins have to go through the counting machine. There is no way in h**l I'm dealing with that.
I agree! My first 6k presiedents at Wells Fargo (long ago) went through the counter and broke the dollar slot! Was expensive to fix - thank goodness I did not have to pay. They then let me deposit on my "honor"...

Off to try Compass bank.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ramalama8
personal attacks are no fun and that's what I was getting at.
One shouldn't confuse challenging one's post with a personal attack.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:23 pm

Will be getting my first shipment soon. Got $500 for the Amex card deal (got a Visa GC from the grocery store). My order status is on hold and reserved. Ordered 5/28
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:34 am

Would they mail $1000 worth of coins to a P.O. Box at the Post office?

If so, what size do I need to rent?

I can choose from 11 inches by 5.5 inches or do I need to rent the 11 by 11 inches?

Also there is 22.5 by 12 inches in several of the Post offices

Thanks

Last edited by metoo; Jun 7, 2011 at 7:15 am
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by metoo

I can choose from 11 inches by 5.5 inches or do I need to rent the 11 by 11 inches?

Thanks
Yes, many of us use P.O. boxes.

Rent the smallest one possible. A pink card is left in your box and you bring it to the counter and sign for the box of coins.

UPS brings the box to a distribution point close to your post office and the post office takes it from the distribution point to the post office where you have your box.

It is very convenient.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:53 am
Suspended

Thanks

Get the smallest (cheapest) possible box. You have to sign for the packages so it'll never be in there anyways (unless you order $250)
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Thanks
Yes. But with a PO Box you get the coins a day later. With a street address they come UPS next morning delivery. With a PO Box they get deliver through the post office and it's a two day delivery time. However they will deliver on a Saturday if the coins go out on a Thursday.

Get the cheapest box you can. They just leave a slip in your box and you sign for them at the counter. I have my bigger shipments sent to the office but on the smaller ones, I use a PO box so I am not putting too much work on our security guy or our courier bringing them to my office. The PO is only a few blocks from my office and I always order two $1,000 orders at the same time and if I am lucky enough to get them on the same day, I put the rolls of coins I want in my backpack and combine the rest in one box and walkk the block to my bank and deposit them.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by fearziz
know how to fix this problem? You write a law that says goodby 1$ bill and hello 1$ coin. Then you tell all these companies to make it happen....very simple..really
Duh.

I've lost count of how many times this has been posted in this thread...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:29 pm

please wait til I get a few mil more miles before you write that law lol
I'm at the point of expecting the game to be over soon.
With only Jefferson, Madison, and 2011 Native's left as options, perhaps the mint surplus is near the end of the line.

Gone:
Washington
Adams (Mint: WE KNOW ALREADY, get it off the webpage)
Jackson
Buchanan
Lincoln
2001 Natives
2010 Natives

Were any others (like Monroe) ever available under the Direct Buy program?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by scubadiver
I carry about $100 in cash for small purchaces, tips and so on. Usually a mix of bills in a money clip. This weighs next to nothing.
My bills are in my wallet.
My wallet has a chain.
The wallet goes in my pocket and the D ring at the other end of the wallet chain clips to my belt loop.

But even $10 in coins is a bulge, a clink, and a weight in my trouser pocket thudding against my leg.

My $1 coins stay rolled until I need them.
If I have coins left over, I keep the loose ones in a 35mm film canister.

I have enough heavy bulging crap in my pockets already. Just car keys are an annoyance these days with chips in the key, and a manditory boop-boop remote for the door lock.
My keys and car remote are on another D ring I hand from my belt.

Works for me.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
If I have coins left over, I keep the loose ones in a 35mm film canister.
People still buy 35MM film?

I find empty pill bottles also work great for storing them in.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fearziz
anyone see the news today ??

A 38-year-old Utah man has been cited with disorderly conduct after paying his doctor’s bill with 2,500 pennies.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...fee-in-pennies

It was because of his ATTITUDE, not the fact that they were pennies.

The article also mentions:

"West isn't alone in the ranks of penny protesters. A wise guy in Frederick, Maryland, showed up at the county clerk's office last summer with bags of cash to pay off his tax bill with $966.86 in change.

And a New Jersey school district a few years back punished 29 students who paid for their $2 school lunches in pennies--possibly as a prank--with two-day detentions. After parents protested, the students were pardoned. The school explained that the use of the small change slowed down the lunch line."

Penny Hounds Unite!

Last edited by MojaveJack; Jun 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.