Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jun 2, 11, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
My CC shows pending immediately, but I think the actual charge is about when the coins are processed. Your CC may be different.
Old Jun 2, 11, 1:22 pm

ok, thanks.
Old Jun 2, 11, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by samchester2000 View Post
If the mint site says that coins will ship on 6/8, what date will my credit card show the charge on, if I place the order today?
Just FYI, if you're trying to carefully time a CC charge, I really wouldn't trust the estimated ship dates right now.
Old Jun 2, 11, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by MojaveJack View Post
Interesting, my experience is completely the opposite.
Makes you wonder if some people reply with warnings because it is a method that works for them! LOL
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:05 pm

Well I know that.
And YOU know that.
But I can't tell you how many people I've run into still think they're a quarter.

I suspect the 50 State and National Park quarters may have something to do with this. People don't know what to expect on a quarter anymore. Since the sizes are very close some folk just assume they're the lastest quarter.

People may still think of a dollar coin in terms of the old Morgan and Peace dollars. The Ikes were the last dollars that size and ever since (Suzie Bs and on) folk just don't realize they're dollars without a closer examination.
I try to make a quick mention as I'm handing them to people for tips, etc. The most difficult situation is "tip jars", but I hate those for other reasons, too.

I would like to think that people would realize the difference, but as I have been doing this for a while now, I've learned that they DO NOT. The easiest way to see it is when you actually pay for something with the coins (more than just a tip). If you give a tip to a valet that consists of 2 $1 coins, you can't necessarily tell if they realize it is $2 (as compared to $0.50). However, if you park at a valet that costs $3 + tip, and you give them 5 $1 coins, I often get the reaction, "Ah, sir, it's $3". Sometimes they realize it as they are speaking...

So, when I'm giving a tip, I usually mumble something like "..dollar coins..". If I'm paying for something, I don't say anything, and watch their thought process.
Old Jun 2, 11, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Well I don't have kids, but kids lunch money is a great way to circulate the coins. DIdn't think of that one.

My nephew came up last night and wanted ice cream from this stand that is only open in warmer months and I used the coins. The teenage clerk said "we only take US currency" and I told her they were US coins and her friend at the next window didn't know what they were either. They had to get the owner from the back to ok them My nephew had never seen one before either and was surprised they were worth a dollar and wanted one. Smart kid, figured out how to get a dollar off me
I hope these kids these days dont grow up to be that smart hahaha

Originally Posted by samchester2000 View Post
If the mint site says that coins will ship on 6/8, what date will my credit card show the charge on, if I place the order today?
July
lol
(I hope to be very wrong)
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Did anyone notice this statement on the mint's web site:

"The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program."

Has that stopped anyone from doing this lately? What will they do...stop sending coins to us when we order them? Anyone experienced this lately?
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post

"The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program."

Has that stopped anyone from doing this lately? What will they do...stop sending coins to us when we order them? Anyone experienced this lately?

that's been there for a while now. Long since before the May B.O. thing started.

And many answers to it exist...

1) define "immediate"
2) so I tried to circulate these but many places will not take them... what am I to do with all my coins now except put them into a bank?
3) I did not intend to do it, but it worked out that way --a lot
4) and a million more reasons people have come up with
Old Jun 2, 11, 3:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post

Please define: immediate

As long as they don't ship immediate then I don't deposit immediate.

Last edited by mrpickles; Jun 3, 11 at 12:13 am
Old Jun 2, 11, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
I try to make a quick mention as I'm handing them to people for tips, etc. The most difficult situation is "tip jars", but I hate those for other reasons, too.

I would like to think that people would realize the difference, but as I have been doing this for a while now, I've learned that they DO NOT. The easiest way to see it is when you actually pay for something with the coins (more than just a tip). If you give a tip to a valet that consists of 2 $1 coins, you can't necessarily tell if they realize it is $2 (as compared to $0.50). However, if you park at a valet that costs $3 + tip, and you give them 5 $1 coins, I often get the reaction, "Ah, sir, it's $3". Sometimes they realize it as they are speaking...

So, when I'm giving a tip, I usually mumble something like "..dollar coins..". If I'm paying for something, I don't say anything, and watch their thought process.
Hehe, I do exactly the same thing to try to make it clear they are NOT quarters without actually having to say so. Also, when in a well lit place, I'll intentionally put the coin tip on the bar so it is visible instead of in the tip jar. I really hate that using coins makes me look like a cheapskate -- really goes against the whole putting them circulation goal.

My bank never confuses them with quarters; much easier that way.
Old Jun 2, 11, 9:00 pm

Some tellers give me looks and make snide comments, ------
Be sure to tell them that we, the walk-in customers are their job security.
Old Jun 2, 11, 9:34 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Burned by B of A ?

Has anyone had Bank of America drop a dime on you, calling to the mint
and advising them of your coin "scheme" ?

Comments or PMs

BTW: B of A voted second-worst company in USA. Thank goodness for British Petroleum.
Old Jun 3, 11, 12:05 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
Please define: immediate
It all depends. If you're asking how the MINT would define "immediate" in their own context, it's pretty obvious what they mean. But if you don't really care how the mint would define it, then we're obviously free to be oh so "clever" and twist "immediate" into anything that will fit our intentions. My definition? As long as I don't have those babies deposited within 15 minutes of delivery then I satisfy the Mint's intentions. Aren't I oh so "clever"?
Old Jun 3, 11, 12:11 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot View Post
Has anyone had Bank of America drop a dime on you, calling to the mint
and advising them of your coin "scheme" ?

Comments or PMs

BTW: B of A voted second-worst company in USA. Thank goodness for British Petroleum.
This has been reported by a twitter follower.
Old Jun 3, 11, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Alaska, USAir, BA, Starwood, Continental, United
Chase flagged my account and is refusing coin deposits

The manager claims it's because I charged coins on my continental cc and got the miles for them. I don't know if this is something temporary (normally don't use that card for coins). Anyone else have this experience?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: