Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Andy2
The flyertalkers and fatwallet folk have loved to program and it appears to have been quite successful for the mint and for us.

Unfortunately, it seems that the mint's oversupply of dollar coins isn't as large as it once was, so they have little desire to ship out large quantities of coins to businesses. That is just my guess.
And the big stories ran in the WSJ and USA today sure didn't help keep the demand down
Old May 20, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On 5/18 I ordered the NA coins which were supposed to become available that day. The next day I received a back-order email specifying a ship date of 6/3. I'm sure a week later I'll receive another email delaying it further, so I went to the web site today and found that the same coins were listed as available. So I ordered them. We'll see which order actually comes through.

If either do.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:04 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
this is gettin way ridiculous now...
Old May 20, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
On 5/18 I ordered the NA coins which were supposed to become available that day. The next day I received a back-order email specifying a ship date of 6/3. I'm sure a week later I'll receive another email delaying it further, so I went to the web site today and found that the same coins were listed as available. So I ordered them. We'll see which order actually comes through.

If either do.
I ordered more NAs on 5/17 and got the same "ship date of 6/3" email. The next day or two my status changed to "in process". I'm guessing they will ship on Monday. I ordered more tonight and they show in stock. Ahhhhhh!

Last edited by philemer; May 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 20, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Not sure for you guys but...

Edit! Hopefully google hasn't cached my post yet :P.

Last edited by krpjr; May 23, 2011 at 9:05 am
Old May 21, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Ordered Lincolns 5-10. Progressively backordered through 6-3 in status. Cancelled 5-19 and ordered NA.

5-19 NAs show in process.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Originally Posted by crabbing
i especially want to get my hands on some rare harrisons; word is the mint stamped those for only one month...
do you know the relative mintage?
Old May 22, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's keep politics out of the discussions, please. Back on topic everyone.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Several dozen
Think we are talking scarcity and surplus, rather than politics. The mint does not make the same number of each issue, speculating on the demand, which may be a function of the popularity of the person portrayed. Might explain why the Susan B.'s and Sacajawea's did not achieve high demand - subjects were not as well known or popular? That might even extend to popular animals. Panda Coins are popular, but shark coins are rare (see the Keeling-Cocos Great White issue, for example). Would guess that a dollar with a buffalo on it might be a winner, but one with a toad (even an endangered one) less so.

After Lincoln, we ought to run into a spell of lesser known/popular Presidents. Would expect the mint would make less Johnson's than Lincoln's but that demand may also be less. Wilson and the Roosevelts ought to have higher mintage and demand?

Originally Posted by philemer
Let's keep politics out of the discussions, please. Back on topic everyone.

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; May 23, 2011 at 8:06 am
Old May 23, 2011, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmargel
do you know the relative mintage?
http://www.coinnews.net/mints/us-min...-by-president/

Clearly cutting back based upon lack of demand
Old May 23, 2011, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
After Lincoln, we ought to run into a spell of lesser known/popular Presidents. Would expect the mint would make less Johnson's than Lincoln's but that demand may also be less. Wilson and the Rossevelts ought to have higher mintage and demand?
Ulysses S. Grant might be popular, with the civil war buffs/collectors adding to the demand.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Ulysses S. Grant might be popular, with the civil war buffs/collectors adding to the demand.
If someone wants them for collection purposes though, why order a certain coin through this program? The prupose of the CIRCULATING dollar coin program is suppose to be just that, to circulate them.

If someone is a civil war buff and wants the grant coins, why not order a collectors set? I am sure not going to spend the money on collector or proof coins to turn around and spend them.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
It seems like the mint has started to clear the backlog. One of my orders from May 13 has shipped today. Another one placed on May 17 is being processed and seems that it will be shipped soon.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
all my orders went into process in 2 days max which is like the old days. But we shall see how long they stay that way and when they all ship! Oh how I miss lugging these to banks. And banks must be having a holiday lol
Old May 23, 2011, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gv111
It seems like the mint has started to clear the backlog. One of my orders from May 13 has shipped today. Another one placed on May 17 is being processed and seems that it will be shipped soon.
My 05/16's shipped as well. With 2 BA visas and a new SPG to make spend on, this is a welcome sight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.