Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
And then again some people do care about which type of dollar they get. Some are kin, some are not, some fit a particular need, some do not. Even among the NAs, some represent a particular group. Do take the time to learn about the the product you are distributing.
Originally Posted by aviators99
The law requires they ship substantially more NA coins than presidential coins.
But it would still be advantageous to them and us if they had a basic $1 coin product in addition to how it's done now.

This would allow them to fulfill orders for people who just want coins with whatever is on hand instead of having to wait for product to come back into stock. They could meet the requirements of the NA coin #'s via this method and the specific sale of NA's
Old May 19, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
And then again some people do care about which type of dollar they get. Some are kin, some are not, some fit a particular need, some do not. Even among the NAs, some represent a particular group. Do take the time to learn about the the product you are distributing.
And they should allow the option to chose for those that are particular about the coins they get. But for people like me that just want the coins, have the option to order $1k or however many at a time and just ship whatever they want.

Kind of like stamps. Back in the old days when I would mail stuff out, I just went in and bought however many stamps I needed and didn't care what type they were. If I was someone that was paritcular about the exact type of stamp I would have the option to request that particular stamp.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Got my NAs, hopefully I didn't BO them.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by sfo-atl
I ordered from the mint once. I received an empty box. The coins were stolen by USPS employees. I filed a claim and did receive the coins after investigation. My first try at ordering coins turned into a major hassle. By the way, I am using the coins for cash only pruchases. The cafe at my workplace only takes cash. Anyone else had a similar experience? USPS employees obviously know what they are handling and the temptation must be present at every level of delivery. I'll soon be out of coins but don't want to go through the hassle of another claim and investigation. Besides if I make another lost coin claim they may not believe me.
Sounds like you ordered a box of $250.
You should order the minimum required for UPS delivery, which I believe is $500.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
And now for something completely different...

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Got my NAs, hopefully I didn't BO them.
Hopefully they will stay in stock longer than a couple of hours this time! Then perhaps we won't need this thread :-)
Old May 19, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: Several dozen
However if you use POBs you will have USPS people involved. About 1 in 20 boxes IMHO come in a repackaged condition due to dropping, etc.. Since these boxes contain paperwork, there can be little doubt that the contents are known to the repackagers along the way. There is that risk of theft, but IMHO the risk is low based on my modest volume, which is slightly more modest than the average modest volume.<rotfl> Only short one order out of 1k. And that was shorted at the mint.

Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
Sounds like you ordered a box of $250.
You should order the minimum required for UPS delivery, which I believe is $500.
Old May 19, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Understand some are not picky about what they handle, but not everyone is resigned to pushing Nixons?

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And they should allow the option to chose for those that are particular about the coins they get. But for people like me that just want the coins, have the option to order $1k or however many at a time and just ship whatever they want.

Kind of like stamps. Back in the old days when I would mail stuff out, I just went in and bought however many stamps I needed and didn't care what type they were. If I was someone that was paritcular about the exact type of stamp I would have the option to request that particular stamp.
Old May 19, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Understand some are not picky about what they handle, but not everyone is resigned to pushing Nixons?
I think Nixons would be quite appropriate to what's going on here

And to keep this somewhat on topic, my 5/16 orders finally authorized today
Old May 19, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
I know this is not the best thread, but with the old coin thread closed, ibhope this can be added.

I contacted US Mint about a waiver on 1k per 10 day period as I have a legitimate use for 3k per 10 days. We exchanged several mails as I attempts to negotiate a lower purchase limit but ultimately asked "who CAN get a waiver these days?" Many of you received waivers but I had heard little success lately. Below is the response I received and may explain the back order situation:

The Direct Ship program is geared towards businesses that order 1000 coins in a 10 day period. The exempt approval process has been cut considerably due to limited inventory. The Direct Ship program uses left over Fed. inventory from the US Mint.

Office of $1 Coin Programs
Old May 19, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *G, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Another data point:
Ordered NA's on 5/12
Shipped on 5/18
Received on 5/19

BTW, just checked the catalog and NA's are still in stock.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by aragno
The Direct Ship program uses left over Fed. inventory from the US Mint.
What does that mean? Any guesses?
Old May 19, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
Originally Posted by aragno
The Direct Ship program uses left over Fed. inventory from the US Mint.
Are they recycling our coins which are returned to some banks? Do all ship from Indianapolis? Or different origins?
Old May 19, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
I am guessing it means that the coins the fed doesn't send out to banks is used for this program.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:12 am

i especially want to get my hands on some rare harrisons; word is the mint stamped those for only one month...
Old May 20, 2011, 7:17 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am guessing it means that the coins the fed doesn't send out to banks is used for this program.
None of us know for sure, but I don't think this is the case.

I think the Mint guy meant that the coins not ordered by the Fed are "leftovers" and are sold to the public.

The mint intends to make enough circulating coins so that all are sold to the Fed. A few uncirculated proof coins are sold by the minto to collectors at a profit.

This is why the direct ship program doesn't include quarters and nickels. All of those are purchased by the Fed.

The mint was ordered by Congress to produce a certain number of dollar coins, including a specified number of Native Americans. The Fed did not order nearly as many dollar coins as the mint was ordered to produce, so the mint began this direct ship program, primarily to improve its financial results. The flyertalkers and fatwallet folk have loved to program and it appears to have been quite successful for the mint and for us.

Unfortunately, it seems that the mint's oversupply of dollar coins isn't as large as it once was, so they have little desire to ship out large quantities of coins to businesses. That is just my guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.