Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:22 pm

maximum amount for single order?

Hi. Can one place an order of $ 2,000 worth of coins, i.e. two boxes each for four different presidents?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I've been keeping a roll handy for food delivery tips. Unfortunately I fear that many of the delivery guys think I'm handing them "change" and not $3 or $4.
I've been using them for tips as well, mostly in hotels. I think sometimes the employees at first think I'm given them quarters. It's sort of funny.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I gave some coins to my neice for Christmas. I had to tell her they were real money.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ansatzjp
Hi. Can one place an order of $ 2,000 worth of coins, i.e. two boxes each for four different presidents?
If you have the credit avail... it should be fine

I've done about 1K before at a time... 2K will make the box rather heavy for the mailman though...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by rc408
It was an error on their part. After speaking to someone in customer service I was told they will credit me the $4.95 I was charged.
Instead of refunding my credit card they sent me a check, so that is another 5 miles for me. I wonder if I could find a way to work that with larger amounts like $10,000.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:53 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I have wondered about this expense to the tax payers. The mint is shipping this stuff UPS Next Day Air, and not charging us shipping costs. According to UPS's tracking, a $2000 package (my most recent) weighs in at 133.90 pounds. Ouch. And again according to ups.com, shipping 134 pounds from Indianapolis to New Jersey next day air costs $583.87. I suspect that the Mint is not paying full retail, but still, it can't be cheap. Why are they doing this? Is this a way for the government to disguise UPS's bailout package?
It would be cheaper overall for the Mint to just take you credit card charge and send you a check instead. Our tax dollars at work funding this silly loophole.

Some government agencies are prohibited by law from taking credit card payments without a surcharge. The IRS comes to mind.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took a box to the bank, and the teller said she had never seen anyone depositing coins like this before. She kept asking me where I got it; what I was doing, etc. I didn't want to evade, and I told her these coins are straight from the Mint and I'm just "recycling" the coins for the miles. She was amazed.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I took a bunch of rebate checks to my chase branch yesterday and included 2 rolls of Andy Jacksons. That brance only has 2 tellers, no drive through and is always a line out the door. After a 20 min wait to get to the front, the teller says something like, you don't want to keep the Jacksons? You now they will just stay rolled here and won't circulate and had quite an attitude. I told her I had over $4000 wrth at home and since I was making a deposit anyway she was lucky I didn't bring in a thousand of them!!! I use a roll a day in life, I am waiting for the nice buttons from the mint to wear while I spend them and hand them out this summer in change at our business.......

JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I took a box to the bank, and the teller said she had never seen anyone depositing coins like this before. She kept asking me where I got it; what I was doing, etc. I didn't want to evade, and I told her these coins are straight from the Mint and I'm just "recycling" the coins for the miles. She was amazed.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Has anyone purchased any recently? Have your orders been on "hold" for several days? I purchased 2 boxes on Monday and the orders still shows as "on hold". Both items show "In stock and reserved", but I figured they would be "Processing" or "shipping" sooner than this.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles

Next step: convince the Mint to drop ship the packages directly to my bank. I'm working on this.
That's hilarious! It'd be nice to be able to pay taxes w/coins, # 1 to piss off the IRS and get some satisfaction that you're causing them inconvenience and #2 you can burn a hell of a lot of coins!!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Mile High Club
It'd be nice to be able to pay taxes w/coins
It's been tried. You're allowed to do it, but they're allowed to make you stay there while they count it. In the end, do you really want to inconvenience yourself equally?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I've noticed that the orders for coins have been taking about two weeks lately. So if you need that for a credit card spending charge I would take that into account as they charge your card when they ship not when you place the order.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Free Coins?

I have an unusual situation now. A "friend" ordered $500 in Native American and $250 in James Madison. On 2/2/09 the $500 showed up. The tracking on the mint site shows $250 Madison shipped 1/29/09 but have yet to show up. It also shows the $500 Indian coins shipped 1/30/09 which already arrived.

So, here is the dilemma, ordered $750 in coins. $500 showed up and the tracking only shows a tracking number for one parcel yet say two different shipping days. Credit card was only charged $250, and no other holds on the card. So, there is $500 in coins and only $250 charge yet, the mint claims they shipped $750, but missing a tracking number on one parcel. Are they that far behind, or is this just our efficient government at work and this is just an economic stimulus in play?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Has anyone purchased any recently? Have your orders been on "hold" for several days? I purchased 2 boxes on Monday and the orders still shows as "on hold". Both items show "In stock and reserved", but I figured they would be "Processing" or "shipping" sooner than this.
Same problem here as well.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Same problem here as well.
I've been told by the call center reps that orders greater than $250 generally are held for about two weeks as a fraud prevention technique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.