Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 29, 09, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
I am now ordered my chase creditcard paper statement from paperless after chase told me creditcard pament can be made at its bank branches, WaMu is also the one should accept the payment. Now I want to see what they will say.
Go for it!
Old Jan 29, 09, 1:40 pm

So far, I have a 50-50 chance of having to unwrap the coins and run them thru the coin counter. I am only doing 2 sets of each president that is available. So far, I have made 37 cents, ie the rejected coins from the coin counter that previous users did not claim.
Old Jan 30, 09, 6:07 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
Next step: convince the Mint to drop ship the packages directly to my bank. I'm working on this.

And the final step in simplification: just call the Mint and tell them to deposit some miles to my FF account, no need to bother with shipping coins around
ROTFLMAO^^^

Perhaps the Mint may just implement your cost savings measure one day to save the tax payers (or do the tax payers pay for Mint fees )
Old Jan 30, 09, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jimbaum View Post
ROTFLMAO^^^

Perhaps the Mint may just implement your cost savings measure one day to save the tax payers (or do the tax payers pay for Mint fees )
I have wondered about this expense to the tax payers. The mint is shipping this stuff UPS Next Day Air, and not charging us shipping costs. According to UPS's tracking, a $2000 package (my most recent) weighs in at 133.90 pounds. Ouch. And again according to ups.com, shipping 134 pounds from Indianapolis to New Jersey next day air costs $583.87. I suspect that the Mint is not paying full retail, but still, it can't be cheap. Why are they doing this? Is this a way for the government to disguise UPS's bailout package?
Old Jan 30, 09, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
The mint is shipping this stuff UPS Next Day Air, and not charging us shipping costs. According to UPS's tracking, a $2000 package (my most recent) weighs in at 133.90 pounds.
A $2000 package doesn't actually weight 133.90 pounds, though I have seen a $500 package show up that way on ups.com.

I do not know why the Mint is sending things UPS Next Day Air. I'm sure they have some sort of volume agreement with UPS, but it does seem there would be cheaper ways for them to send the coins.
Old Jan 31, 09, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
I brought 1200 to a chase branch in loose rolls I'm keeping the boxes and trays for my own purposes. The mint charges an arm and a leg for fancy boxes!

They didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Lets see what they say for the next deposit. ;-)

I also snapped a couple of close ups of the rolls before I took them in. Pretty cool looking.
Old Jan 31, 09, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
BTW, both branches dont count the coins. They looked at the trays and just count the rolls. A teller did not even know how to count - she said it was $100 per tray. I said Huh?! So she pulled out a calculator and then the calculator confirmed to her it was $125 per tray. Then she said Oh yeah, it was $125. Unbelievable!
There's a reason bank-tellers are bank-tellers.
Old Feb 1, 09, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Expedited Shipping

Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
I do not know why the Mint is sending things UPS Next Day Air. I'm sure they have some sort of volume agreement with UPS, but it does seem there would be cheaper ways for them to send the coins.
Not that it makes any sense, but per the US Mint website:

"Orders with Merchandise valued at $300 or more with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping..."
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I had a dream that involved a shipment of dollar coins last night. So what do I do when I wake up? Get online to see if Van Buren is available yet ...
Old Feb 2, 09, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
I had a dream that involved a shipment of dollar coins last night. So what do I do when I wake up? Get online to see if Van Buren is available yet ...
Sounds like you need a new hobby if you're dreaming about the coins now
Old Feb 2, 09, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
I'm going to order more

I did 2K so far for 2K SPG points. I brought them to my bank over 4 different times as they were too heavy to bring in all at once. One teller asked me if I had been to Atlantic City. No problems at all with deposits. I asked if anyone else had been bringing them in and they all said no.

Nice way to rack up miles.
Old Feb 2, 09, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I have been using the coins for cash transactions in the spirit of the US Mint plan to popularize the coins. I did have some rolls which I brought to Citibank for deposit and the teller said, these are great - we have customers who have been requesting these.
Old Feb 2, 09, 3:47 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
every time I take them to my bank the tellers tell me that they love having them especially since one customer always asks for them. I thought about asking them for his contact info so I can deliver them to him instead of having the tellers deal with them....wonder if he hoards them or something
Old Feb 2, 09, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I've been keeping a roll handy for food delivery tips. Unfortunately I fear that many of the delivery guys think I'm handing them "change" and not $3 or $4.
Old Feb 2, 09, 9:04 pm

Okay, Which one of you came into my store on Saturday and paid with a Roll of JQAdams. I currently have been putting Jackson into circulation and have already gone thru Jefferson. I did not order JQA, but lo and behold, opening up this morning is a mint rolled JQA.

Now to put them back into circulation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: