Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 20, 11, 6:09 pm

I could echo the other FTer's advice: long-term friendly relationship with the banks is very important.

I stopped by a bank of my long time favorite the other day with some coins that I couldn't spend within a quite long period of time (so I didn't make immediate deposit to a bank), and the banker just smiled at me: "these # boxes only?"

I think it is good to avoid abusing the relationship with the banks and keep the program running long
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
I could echo the other FTer's advice: long-term friendly relationship with the banks is very important.

I stopped by a bank of my long time favorite the other day with some coins that I couldn't spend within a quite long period of time (so I didn't make immediate deposit to a bank), and the banker just smiled at me: "these # boxes only?"

I think it is good to avoid abusing the relationship with the banks and keep the program running long
yup, but sometimes despite ones' length of time in the bank or how one makes any given coin deposit, they just don't wantcha. In my case, for example, I continue to submit that it was just a matter of bad luck coupled with a manager that just did not dig me or my actions in a small town region. So be it. Other banks I have accounts at do not have any problems with me or my coins at all. Even at far greater amounts of deposits. All I have done is report my experiences with different financial institutions and maybe others here can use the information to save themselves the trouble in similar situations.
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by barristan View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a large bank (or MO seller like Walmart I suppose) that doesn't require you to unroll the coins?

All of my local banks (which, in Ann Arbor, is limited to TCF and Chase) force me to put the coins through a machine. Now that giftcards.com is out of the picture it is hardly worth my time to go to the bank, unroll ALL of the coins, and feed them into the machine (only to be shorted a dollar or two per 1000).

If there was some other bank or store that I could just walk into, set the coins down, and leave that would be significantly more productive. I suspect this might be YMMV though..

Thanks!

Does fifth third or Charter one (RBS who I believe operates as first fed of michigan up there) have any branches in a2? If so try them. I bank at charter and deposit the coins and they welcome them. Our business accounts are with 5/3rd and my condo association account is there and I pay my dues with the coins rolled via a deposit into the account and they accept them (on the rare occassion someone else pays me in cash I just deposit coins and keep the bills as well). There have been a couple times I have taken in $500 in coins rolled and they just give me 10-$50's. YMMV though, since I know the tellers at both banks and have had banking relationships for many years.
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer View Post
I would have taken all $15 back, went into Kroger and spend $5 or $10 on more cookies than the GS were selling you. Then wrote a letter to the local Girl Scout council, describing the encounter.
I thought about it. Problem is I didn't want to penalize the girls (and the girls that were outside trying to get the people to buy the cookies were all cute and very nice and wasn't fair to punish them over their leader).

I wish I would have known they were at Sams today. I bought one box of the shortbread cookies the girls were out of yesterday and totally different reaction from the adult. I gave her four coins and just told her to keep the change and she kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want my fifty cents back and could give me the change and seemed very grateful someone gave them just 50 cents more.
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:02 pm

I am sorry about the negative experience that you had. We all learn from the good and the bad, and it is good that we could share here at FT and keep moving forward. I had some negative experience with bank(er)s that I worked with for years and suddenly they changed faces. I did see and hear from bankers that people made deposit of coins in very large amount without establishing solid relationships with the banks in advance.
Personally I appreciate your sharing and constructive suggestion.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
yup, but sometimes despite ones' length of time in the bank or how one makes any given coin deposit, they just don't wantcha. In my case, for example, I continue to submit that it was just a matter of bad luck coupled with a manager that just did not dig me or my actions in a small town region. So be it. Other banks I have accounts at do not have any problems with me or my coins at all. Even at far greater amounts of deposits. All I have done is report my experiences with different financial institutions and maybe others here can use the information to save themselves the trouble in similar situations.
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I thought about it. Problem is I didn't want to penalize the girls (and the girls that were outside trying to get the people to buy the cookies were all cute and very nice and wasn't fair to punish them over their leader).

I wish I would have known they were at Sams today. I bought one box of the shortbread cookies the girls were out of yesterday and totally different reaction from the adult. I gave her four coins and just told her to keep the change and she kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want my fifty cents back and could give me the change and seemed very grateful someone gave them just 50 cents more.
Agreed, yah I wouldn't want to penalize the girls either--and to be honest, those cookies are too darn good to put BACK lol, but the tip, on the other hand, would have been for the woman working there, if I read it correctly--the one who snarled about having received your coins. Correct me if I am wrong. That's where I would have taken back the tip only.

Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
I am sorry about the negative experience that you had. We all learn from the good and the bad, and it is good that we could share here at FT and keep moving forward. I had some negative experience with bank(er)s that I worked with for years and suddenly they changed faces. I did see and hear from bankers that people made deposit of coins in very large amount without establishing solid relationships with the banks in advance.
Personally I appreciate your sharing and constructive suggestion.
Yes... and thank you.
I agree, though... often times it's a change of face. New management, new policy, new partners, etc. Who knows. I have seen this work both ways. We just hope that most banks will accept the coins--and of course I begin with and work a long while with smaller more manageable amounts. The bigger amounts are brought to places where there are coin counting machines or where I have been doing this a while and they tell me they can accept the multitude.
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:27 pm

Is anyone here also member at Bimmerfest forums? (E90 section specifically). There's guy named "hpowders" and he really reminds me of MarathonMan
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by element7 View Post
Is anyone here also member at Bimmerfest forums? (E90 section specifically). There's guy named "hpowders" and he really reminds me of MarathonMan
never heard of it--is it about miles?

And is that bloke strange, out ofthe box, always talkin about the 'yeah but what if?' and controversial?

Well I pretty much only post my speak in here (since 02), Milepoint and my email. I don't even have facebook
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:31 pm

never heard of it--is it about miles?

And is that bloke strange, out ofthe box, always talkin about the 'yeah but what if?' and controversial?

Well I pretty much only post my speak in here (since 02), Milepoint and my email. I don't even have facebook
No it's BMW owners forum. E90 is current bodystyle of 3 Series BMW. He's pretty crazy guy. Just like you
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by element7 View Post
No it's BMW owners forum. E90 is current bodystyle of 3 Series BMW. He's pretty crazy guy. Just like you
Ah, well, I just type this way lol.

Anyway I hope he at least drives 'safely!' Those Beamer guys are always coming up behind our family Volvo flashing their lights and yappin on their cell phones...

...and yet here I am goin' like 82mph in the fast lane down Rte 95/128 with the kids in the back throwing toy trucks and teddy bears back and forth from their car seats whilst I have like $12k in $250 boxed coins sliding around in the trunk and so my mind is on THAT... and yet he just HAS to go 90mph now doesn't he! (in MA, 85 is the speed limit in the left lane lol) Sooooo, I pull to the middle lane and let the Beamer pass me and now I can try and figure out what banks to bring these all to once I get the kids safely in the hands of gramma's house. (In Ma we WILL pull the right and let someone pass who wants to go faster if in fact there is a place to pull to in the next lane, so it's not about ego, it's about knowing that when someone is speeding, they must have a reason so let them go)

Anyway I am sure everything about THIS post will get misconstrued, but you get the idea. So be it!

MM
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:51 pm

Programs: Any and All
For the first time, I have a Mint order that is sitting "On Hold" since March 11, and the CC authorization has been released. I've never had an auth released while the order is on hold before. Since it's been 9 days, should I cancel/reorder or should I give it another day or two? Anyone have experience with this scenario?

thanks!
Old Mar 20, 11, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesDavis11 View Post
For the first time, I have a Mint order that is sitting "On Hold" since March 11, and the CC authorization has been released. I've never had an auth released while the order is on hold before. Since it's been 9 days, should I cancel/reorder or should I give it another day or two? Anyone have experience with this scenario?

thanks!
I have seen this. Give it at least one more day and then, well, you could technically reorder anyway.
Old Mar 20, 11, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by barristan View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a large bank (or MO seller like Walmart I suppose) that doesn't require you to unroll the coins?

All of my local banks (which, in Ann Arbor, is limited to TCF and Chase) force me to put the coins through a machine. Now that giftcards.com is out of the picture it is hardly worth my time to go to the bank, unroll ALL of the coins, and feed them into the machine (only to be shorted a dollar or two per 1000).

If there was some other bank or store that I could just walk into, set the coins down, and leave that would be significantly more productive. I suspect this might be YMMV though..

Thanks!
Why not find a bank that will accept your coin shipments directly, that way you won't have to do anything! The US mint coin gig is really the only way to earn boatloads of miles or points with actually very little effort! Oh my, you may have to unroll the m and put them through a coin counter! Sounds like you have never done a mileage run to earn bonus miles, talk about time consuming. How about a mattress run to earn bonus points again time consuming! The coin counter shorted me a dollar! Oh Boy! So it cost you $1 to earn a minimum of 1,000 points or miles. Post a thread on the AA or United boards that you can buy miles for .001/mile and you'll be overwhelmed with PM's.

I have an exemption and order much more than $1,000 per order. I unroll them and put them through a coin counter. I am very rarely shorted, the most I can remember is $2. But then again I have been credited with amounts more than I have put in the coin counter on numerous occasions. I have put in $5K in the coin counter without bags being changed or intervention of bank personnel. The bank I use is open 7 days a week and, yes there are times I am there 7 days a week. I have NEVER been questioned about where the coins came from or the amounts I deposit. I have NEVER had an account closed and have been encouraged to open additional accounts by the bank in the almost 2 1/2 years that I have been playing the coin game..

The old saying is true "Nothing is Free!" It is easy to justify my time investment when I'm sitting in an Over the Water Bungalow sipping on a Hinano in Bora Bora courtesy of the US Mint!

It seems that many here are working harder trying to find financial institutions that will take rolled coins, risking account closures and other repercussions. Take the path of least resistance and you will be rewarded!

Cheers!
Old Mar 20, 11, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, yah I wouldn't want to penalize the girls either--and to be honest, those cookies are too darn good to put BACK lol, but the tip, on the other hand, would have been for the woman working there, if I read it correctly--the one who snarled about having received your coins. Correct me if I am wrong. That's where I would have taken back the tip only.

Yes the girl scout cookies are really good And the one girl was handing out samples mom made, brownie mix with a broken up sleeve of thin mints Talk about good marketing The $1 was for the girl scouts. I hope she didn't keep it as a tip
Old Mar 20, 11, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesDavis11 View Post

thanks!
Weird the order is on hold. I placed an order on 3/12 and received it Friday and my order from 3/15 is showing shipped and I should receive tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: