Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Any and All
Originally Posted by kbs972
10 Days from the last order date, doesn't matter if it is cancel or fulfilled order. And it is 10 days to the minute from the last order.

I've found that this is not true. I have ordered coins on a credit card and two days after the order was placed realized that I used the wrong billing address. Afraid that it would come up declined, I cancelled the order while it was still "on hold" and immediately reordered with the proper information. The order was processed successfully during the typical timeframe.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kbs972
10 Days from the last order date, doesn't matter if it is cancel or fulfilled order. And it is 10 days to the minute from the last order.
Not true at all. Please dont post anything unless you know what you are talking about. Spreading misinformation does nobody any good.

It's 10 days from the last ACTIVE order date...cancelled orders dont count. And its 10 calendar days and is not determined by minutes.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by dweick
Costco accepts Visa/MC online, they only accept Amex in store. Buy online, pay with Visa/MC and return in store and Costco refunds in cash/check.

Variants of buy and return merchant rip-off have been floating around for decades and this particular Costco buy/return scheme has been floating around the internet for a long time. Costco has had to tighten up their return policies several times in response to people abusing them. Yes, Costco is paying substantial credit card fees in this particular case. Merchants with liberal return policies, such as Nordstroms and Costco, offer those policies in good faith, when customers abuse those policies they can lead to those merchants limiting returns to the dismay of the merchant's real customers who aren't abusing the policies.
This is Bizarre.

I can't see any reasonable business reason to not refund a charge with a charge credit. You might say it builds "goodwill," but I can't imagine it builds THAT MUCH goodwill. Refunding a charge with a credit back shouldn't upset customers...except those who've been yanking these merchants' chain with the above mentioned scheme.

Sounds like upper management is asleep at the wheel.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
ok....

There has been much talk about when to order what on the 10 day rule.

I personally have found that with clarity, one should order 10 days from the last time an order was placed. Some have toyed with this, but that's been a good place to begin.

I have found that most people just make it 11 to be 100% safe.

I figure if there were say 300 days in a year, I would get either 30 orders or 27.
So what's the difference? I mean, there IS a difference, but when these things come for free, there really isn't.

That said, one could do this math instead:

E = [email protected] x #CC+o 709.552€+ƩӜρΓ==>XXXkc x ∞

or just stick with a still doable but slightly more involved:

CC==>BC AxGC==>ﯼvGC==>USM5x###CRL/CC
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
ok....

There has been much talk about when to order what on the 10 day rule.

I personally have found that with clarity, one should order 10 days from the last time an order was placed. Some have toyed with this, but that's been a good place to begin.

I have found that most people just make it 11 to be 100% safe.
Since i have been doing this I have been ordering EXACTLY 10 days apart EVERY time. Only had an issue once with an order on hold for over a week then cancelled it and reordered. With this instance in February, I made the mistake of order 2 boxes of 2 different presidents and they shipped them as two different orders a few days apart. The second order never posted until February, 2 days before I placed the order I had problems with, so I am thinking that might have screwed up something at the mint seeing that card was just authorized.

With 365 days in a year, you can get 36 orders in a year ordering every 10 days. With every 11 days it is 33. Just depends on the credit card you are using and how much you charge. If you have a hilton card and hav eonly charge 6K for the year then 33 orders won't get you diamond status but 34 will. If it's a delta reserve card and you have only $24K in spending for the year, then you would want to be able to get all 36 orders in for those 30K mqm's.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
With 365 days in a year, you can get 36 orders in a year ordering every 10 days. With every 11 days it is 33. Just depends on the credit card you are using and how much you charge. If you have a hilton card and hav eonly charge 6K for the year then 33 orders won't get you diamond status but 34 will. If it's a delta reserve card and you have only $24K in spending for the year, then you would want to be able to get all 36 orders in for those 30K mqm's.
Add extra users to your Amex accounts, get new cards (Each will have different #s) and order coins on those. Will cut down on your time needed to get to your spending thresholds, plus give you that tie cushion for when the mint slows down/pauses deliveries.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:40 pm

Just want to confirm:

Thinking about doing the Amex Gold Business 50K MR offer that expires today.

Can someone confirm that the Amex Gold Business card doesn't post the US Mint purchases as cash equivalents?

In there T&Cs for the card it states: Eligible Spending" includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise credited to your Card account : It does NOT include fees, Interest Charges, Balance Transfers, Cash Advances or similar means of accessing your Card account, or the purchase of American Express Travelers Cheques, American Express Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Add extra users to your Amex accounts, get new cards (Each will have different #s) and order coins on those. Will cut down on your time needed to get to your spending thresholds, plus give you that tie cushion for when the mint slows down/pauses deliveries.
And it is less trips to the bank.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
You are buying a cardboard box that happens to have $250 in coins in it. It posts as merchandise.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I know with msot Am Ex cards it isn't a problem, but I had heard that with the Delta Reserve Am Ex you get charged to have more than one other additional user on the account. Even if that is true though if you can do 5 mint orders a month between the two cards, that will get you the $60K in spending for the year for the 30K MQM's. I do want to be careful as well with how many of the coins I order. When I first started doing this my bank was fine with me bringing in $1K every 10 days or so and I was told in fact they liked the coins because they had customers that wanted them and they didn't have them on hand a lot and wouldn't order them due to them getting charged for them by the fed. Since I have been using a couple different cards, they have still taken them but I can tell lately they are getitng tired of having me bring so many in. My bank doesn't have any supermarket branches near me so it makes going to other branches hard. I'll have to look into opening up an account at another bank or trading them for paper bills with the tellers at the bank we have our company accounts with.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:33 pm

I figure if there were say 300 days in a year, I would get either 30 orders or 27.
So what's the difference? I mean, there IS a difference, but when these things come for free, there really isn't.
If there weren't a difference, then your FFMs or Cash Back would be the same regardless. Since they're both a function of volume, then YES, there REALLY IS a difference.

That said, one could do this math instead:

E = [email protected] x #CC+o 709.552€+ƩӜρΓ==>XXXkc x ∞

or just stick with a still doable but slightly more involved:

CC==>BC AxGC==>ﯼvGC==>USM5x###CRL/CC
It's appropriate to define your variables when they aren't obvious. And NO, they're NOT OBVIOUS.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
How would this work given that the billing address is the same for both cards, even though the cc number is unique? Wouldn't it still be subject to the 10-day rule?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MojaveJack
If there weren't a difference, then your FFMs or Cash Back would be the same regardless. Since they're both a function of volume, then YES, there REALLY IS a difference.
well I am not 100% certain what you mean but alls I was saying is that in a program that currently appears to be limitless, there's little difference to making 27 vs 30 buys. You would be off by 3k miles but if it's limitless it will never matter cuz you will eventually earn the miles you need regardless of the missed day per period. I dunno. I wasn't being exact about any of that.

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
It's appropriate to define your variables when they aren't obvious. And NO, they're NOT OBVIOUS.
well your tone seems a bit--let's say--angry at me, but whatever. I can understand that. I mean, after all, here we all are typing within a thread that encompasses the best form of earning consistently free miles ever and yet there's so much angst in here it's laughable.

That being said, one of my formulas merely suggests that someone can in fact buy Amex GCs from like BigCrumbs and earn cash back, and then go by store bought gift cards (s) and use THOSE at the mint. And yes, some stores do let you do that still but you'd have to find the stores and the right cards. One could possibly do this with any CC they have with any number of Amex GCs that they buy (usually sent in orders of max $5k per order to most people) and after all store fees (usually done in such a way where the GC funds the card and some other CC pays the fee and the clerk allows for a split transaction) one still comes out a bit ahead because of the Amex GC cash back earned at Big crumbs. I mean it's less money and it's more steps, but still very easily done if you get it going and run it well.

I guess that sums it up pretty well considering I will probably get nothing good in return for telling it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I DID look at the sticky on this and can't find the answer and want to make sure I am correct in assuming this is correct. If I have a PO box for the shipping address on my am ex for Delta (I only want on coin order sent to the office every 10 days so I don't upset our old security man too much) and add my sister, I know she will get a different number with Am Ex from mine. If I set up an account I know the mint will recongize it as a seperate number, but will I run into difficulties having that order shipped to me at my PO Box? I wasn't sure if the mint was up to date on two orders going to the same shipping address and the same name or not (I have to have it shipped to me since I am the only one that can pick the coins up).
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:27 pm

well your tone seems a bit--let's say--angry at me, but whatever.
Think you're over sensitized by all the flaming you've gotten.

I'm not MAD ( ), but as Lewis Black would say, CONFEWSED. ( see embedded in my post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.