Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by genka
Here in Baltimore if you buy a Metro ticket, machine will change in dollar coins. These coins are also accepted for ticket purchases. Couple of years ago old machines only accepted coins, had to use a separate machine to change bills ($1 and $5 only) to $1 coins.
EVERY transit system that receives Federal subsidies is REQUIRED to accept the dollar coins by U.S. law. That also applies to vending machines located in any Federal building.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
The only coin I have been unable to buy so far is the Monroe coins. If anyone catches it available, please pm me. THank.s
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:43 pm

ok, I've ordered and received almost every available coin on two different cards at two different addresses. Now I hit my first glitch (or I missed the change). I was charged $4.95 by the US Mint for shipping I suppose. It was on the 2 boxes of the Native American coin. I will send them ana email about this but just wanted to warn everyone to keep an eye on their charges.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
No shipping charges on mine received last week.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
Free presidential coin program materials

I love that this program is getting so many coins into circulation.

I stumbled across http://materials.usmint.gov/$1coin after picking up a free 2007 coin collection board at some show. I really don't recall when or where and would have forgotten it, but i was cleaning the kitchen and came across it again.

The mint will provide some great FREE information about the presidential coin program including flyers, posters, collector boards, book marks, and printed release schedules to anyone. You do have to classify yourself as "financial institution", "Retail", "Educational", or "Other". I picked other since I am going to use the materials with scouts. There are some downloadable items in Educational and Retail that are not offered under Other, so you should look around.

Last edited by Gregor; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm Reason: made the url a live link
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by joediver
No shipping charges on mine received last week.
It was an error on their part. After speaking to someone in customer service I was told they will credit me the $4.95 I was charged.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Originally Posted by johnfuji
Sorry to ask such a silly question, but did you ask them what this sign refers to? I don't understand its meaning so I would ask.

aloha, john

Actually, I talked to one of the managers in a WaMU branch, she asked where the coins came from? if it was another bank? I asked" US Mint", she then told me they will start charging for deposit, but customers will be told before hands. I didn't even want to aurgue with her, in fact, it is the taxpayers who bailed them out or she would be in the street.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Actually, I talked to one of the managers in a WaMU branch, she asked where the coins came from? if it was another bank? I asked" US Mint", she then told me they will start charging for deposit, but customers will be told before hands. I didn't even want to aurgue with her, in fact, it is the taxpayers who bailed them out or she would be in the street.

Do you have an account with WaMu? I think this is preposterous that they will charge for cash deposits.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: DL, US, Starw Amex
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Do you have an account with WaMu? I think this is preposterous that they will charge for cash deposits.
Well in theory they have to count the coins and even if they are wrapped in rolls, they have to break them up and count. I don't know if the auto coin counters are compatible w/ dollar coins, but if not, imagine a teller getting tied up counting 500 coins. It does cost them money. Also, holding cash has a cost, since whatever cash they hold has to have an offsetting liability (i.e. deposit accounts -- on which they pay interest). And coins don't have as much liquidity as $20 bills -- you're not going to pay out a customer withdrawal w/200 one dollar coins, so it's really dead weight. So holding another $2 grand in coins in a given branch, multiplied by say 500 branches and you can see on a corporate level it does cost you money. Of course charging for coin deposit is a branch level waiver, and if you are a customer they will likely not charge you.

I just ordered my first set, will see if this goes smoothly. But I'll try to get them into circulation rather than depositing.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Mile High Club
Well in theory they have to count the coins and even if they are wrapped in rolls, they have to break them up and count. I don't know if the auto coin counters are compatible w/ dollar coins, but if not, imagine a teller getting tied up counting 500 coins.
The two banks I made the deposits at US Bank and Comerica Bank did not have to break them up. They counted the rolls and that was that. I did tell them the rolls were from the US Mint / Government so I wasn't sure if the rolls could be trusted to be right.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I have found that over time they learn. Initially my Commerce Bank (now TD Bank) branch wanted me to break the rolls and run them through the coin counter. I persuaded them that it really wasn''t necessary, they could just count rolls. So they started counting rolls. Then they went to counting trays: $125 per tray. This last time I went there they counted boxes and did not even open the boxes (they opened one box, peeked in, and trusted that the others were the same). They're learning, and for the better.

Next step: convince the Mint to drop ship the packages directly to my bank. I'm working on this.

And the final step in simplification: just call the Mint and tell them to deposit some miles to my FF account, no need to bother with shipping coins around
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:14 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by zzyzx
Deposit to WaMu might be off limit. I was told they are to charge fees, and they put signs at each teller's position "NO NEW MONEY", apparently refers to those coins.

Wow, the nouveau riche must really bristle at that. It's discrimination!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Naturally the OP has an account at WAMU - he said to "deposit". How can you deposit money if you dont have an account at a bank?!

The bank obviously forgets if there is no handout from government (or the forced payment from us taxpayers!) it would ceased to exist already.

So far BofA and Wachovia do not say anything though the Head Teller at my closest BofA seems a bit annoyed after handling my deposts a couple times in a month's span, but she wisely kept her mouth shut. I would give them an earful if they dare to say anything. Beggers have no choice!

BTW, both branches dont count the coins. They looked at the trays and just count the rolls. A teller did not even know how to count - she said it was $100 per tray. I said Huh?! So she pulled out a calculator and then the calculator confirmed to her it was $125 per tray. Then she said Oh yeah, it was $125. Unbelievable!

Last edited by Happy; Jan 29, 2009 at 1:13 pm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
I am now ordered my chase creditcard paper statement from paperless after chase told me creditcard pament can be made at its bank branches, WaMu is also the one should accept the payment. Now I want to see what they will say.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I signed up for my account at WaMu they actually specifically outlined in their fee schedule costs for depositing large quantities of rolled coin. Because of the way their branches manage coin inventory they really don't like to have it on hand. If they have disclosed the fees to the consumer in the fee schedule as part of the account there is nothing wrong with them charging it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.