Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Mar 16, 11, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Moderator hat on!

Yes, let's get back on topic!

Moderator hat off!
Old Mar 16, 11, 9:03 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
and I have done just that!
But that still falls FAR SHORT of the guy who paid a $6500 debt with 650,000 pennies!
Old Mar 16, 11, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
A bit of an aside. Many of you are followers of a self-proclaimed expert in dollar coins. I found this quote from a thread in travelingbetter.com quite shocking and telling.

"This Mr. Pickles is taking this to an extreme by buying and returning tens of thousands of dollars of diamonds. He wants to buy and return $200k, all just to get 4 SWU. Heís bragged about it on twitter probably leading to more people doing this."

Not even situational ethics could justify either the intent or the practice of such behavior. YMMV.
Holy crap.

Must...churn...diamonds.
Old Mar 16, 11, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by darwin76 View Post
Holy crap.

Must...churn...diamonds.
If you do just make sure you donít put all your personal information out there for everybody to see. All you need is one idiot to write a letter to the store, CC issuer and AA and see what happens. This is just another scam where everybody wins I guess. Also when the store refuses the return I hope you have a girlfriend to give it to!
Old Mar 16, 11, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by dayone View Post
A bit of an aside. Many of you are followers of a self-proclaimed expert in dollar coins. I found this quote from a thread in travelingbetter.com quite shocking and telling.

"This Mr. Pickles is taking this to an extreme by buying and returning tens of thousands of dollars of diamonds. He wants to buy and return $200k, all just to get 4 SWU. Heís bragged about it on twitter probably leading to more people doing this."

Not even situational ethics could justify either the intent or the practice of such behavior. YMMV.
For all the noobís out there you are playing with fire on this one and will get burned. You have been warned!!!
Old Mar 16, 11, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
If you do just make sure you donít put all your personal information out there for everybody to see. All you need is one idiot to write a letter to the store, CC issuer and AA and see what happens. This is just another scam where everybody wins I guess. Also when the store refuses the return I hope you have a girlfriend to give it to!
I am confussed as to how this works. It sounds like you are buying a large amount of diamonds for credit cards points and then returning them? When you return something to a store the miles get deducted back off your statement.

Or are you waiting until the miles hit your airline account and then returning them? If that is the case, aren't you asking for the credit card company to close the account and black ball you? Also wouldn't you need a credit card with a VERY LARGE credit line.
Old Mar 16, 11, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
It won't let me select expidited shipping is this just the way it is and they will upgrade the shipping for free on their end or do i have to input it manually, my account is set to expidited
jbs
Old Mar 17, 11, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Moderator hat on!

Yes, let's get back on topic!

Moderator hat off!
Please tell me what exactly on topic is.
Old Mar 17, 11, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I am confussed as to how this works. It sounds like you are buying a large amount of diamonds for credit cards points and then returning them? When you return something to a store the miles get deducted back off your statement.

Or are you waiting until the miles hit your airline account and then returning them? If that is the case, aren't you asking for the credit card company to close the account and black ball you? Also wouldn't you need a credit card with a VERY LARGE credit line.
James they are ordering these products and returning them to a store to get a check. Marathon Man and Ql_714 seem to like to dish it out and try and be the police of the flyertalk boards but really will do anything to earn points/miles at any cost. If it isn't harming someone fine, but these people lets take MM for example, have brought up ways to steal from local community colleges and are now returning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of products to stores each year, while QL_714 will make it seem he has done it for 5 years now. I think it says a lot about these two members who really only provide color commentary and like to get into pissing matches with people and not really provide any new deals or original ideas.

To keep this post "on topic" maybe Costco needs to put up a sign like the mint did saying that the return of their products for checks to be directly deposited into ones bank account is not the intended purpose of that program.

I am starting to wonder if the dollar coin program ends prematurely what lengths people will go to in order to replace spending with the mint. Maybe that would be a great topic!
Old Mar 17, 11, 3:48 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Well said.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
James they are ordering these products and returning them to a store to get a check. Marathon Man and Ql_714 seem to like to dish it out and try and be the police of the flyertalk boards but really will do anything to earn points/miles at any cost. If it isn't harming someone fine, but these people lets take MM for example, have brought up ways to steal from local community colleges and are now returning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of products to stores each year, while QL_714 will make it seem he has done it for 5 years now. I think it says a lot about these two members who really only provide color commentary and like to get into pissing matches with people and not really provide any new deals or original ideas.

To keep this post "on topic" maybe Costco needs to put up a sign like the mint did saying that the return of their products for checks to be directly deposited into ones bank account is not the intended purpose of that program.

I am starting to wonder if the dollar coin program ends prematurely what lengths people will go to in order to replace spending with the mint. Maybe that would be a great topic!
Old Mar 17, 11, 5:33 am

It is typical for the noobs to trash members that warn other members of scams out there. I guess they don’t like it when they get there hand caught in the cookie jar. Just because a long standing respected member knows of a scam does not mean he/she partakes in it. This scam has been going on for over five years. Just do a search of FT threads let alone other forums.

Just another friendly warning to all members, when you play with fire most likely you will get burned!!!

ETA: Maybe the scammers can explain the tax consequences to this scam.

Last edited by QL_714; Mar 17, 11 at 5:42 am
Old Mar 17, 11, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
It is typical for the noobs to trash members that warn other members of scams out there. I guess they donít like it when they get there hand caught in the cookie jar. Just because a long standing respected member knows of a scam does not mean he/she partakes in it. This scam has been going on for over five years. Just do a search of FT threads let alone other forums.
Thank you. You just confirmed what I was talking about in my last post. I enjoy how you can call people noobs and then call yourself a long standing respected member.

I will say it again.. you are doing NOTHING to help other members. What is the point of posting "warnings" several times and that other people are just going to "get burned"?? Tell people the risks involved if you have information. You are quick to discipline other members but never go into detail to prevent people from putting themselves at risk. I think it says a lot about a person who does that as well as throws around the word Noob.
Old Mar 17, 11, 6:33 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

You are quick to discipline other members but never go into detail.
The same could be said for those mentioned who are perpetrating buy-and-return schemes with no intent to own. I have read no detail, either operational or ethical.

The reports suggest that the goal is to exploit and manipulate a quirk in how AA records MM thresholds, without actually ever earning the miles. Is that information incorrect?
Old Mar 17, 11, 6:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
A lot of comments about things people don't know what they are talking about.

I can assure you that there is no violation of policies of the merchant or AAdvantage program and the merchant is not loosing any cc discount.

Enough said now get back on topic:

Coins!
We are all aware that you are not violating any policies, laws, or regulations. However, someone ends up paying for for your benefits that they do not receive the expected result for. There's no such thing as a free lunch in this world. So let's not try to ride a high horse here, champ.

Pet peeve: people who "loose" something. You can loosen something. You can lose something. You can't loose anything. I'll only charge you a few shiny coins for this basic language lesson mrpickles.
Old Mar 17, 11, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I am still lost on how someone can do this. Every merchant I have dealt with on returns (legit) credits your credit card back on a return. If you don't have the receipt, I thought they required you to take it in a store credit in the form of something like a gift card. If we are talking really expensive items that the merchant doesn't sell very many of, it shoudl be easy to trace those sales.

In this case, it is a form of dishonesty. The merchant is paying the credit card trans. fee on the purchase.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: