Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Jan 23, 09, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Received 2 boxes of James Madison via UPS overnight delivery. I hope the USMint is getting a discount on shipping charges as I had placed one order for 4 boxes of coins and they arrived in 2 different shipments both via overnight delivery!
Old Jan 23, 09, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Started using my Native American coins at a bar last night - closing in on my AA spending threshold and will need some more help from the U.S. Mint to reach my DL thresholds for 2009.
Old Jan 24, 09, 11:20 am

Anyone know if James Monroe and John Q Adams will be available again? I called mint and can't get a straight answer. I was told that they would not be producing anymore of these coins as they are 2007 issue
But then why are they still listed on website???
Old Jan 24, 09, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankcoton View Post
called mint and can't get a straight answer. I was told that they would not be producing anymore of these coins as they are 2007 issue
But then why are they still listed on website???
Well, they aren't minting any more of them, but that doesn't mean they won't distribute them through Direct Ship. Coins circulate--and Direct Ship coins may have already circulated.
Old Jan 24, 09, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Deposit to WaMu might be off limit. I was told they are to charge fees, and they put signs at each teller's position "NO NEW MONEY", apparently refers to those coins.
Old Jan 24, 09, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
Deposit to WaMu might be off limit. I was told they are to charge fees, and they put signs at each teller's position "NO NEW MONEY", apparently refers to those coins.
That's kind of strange as they are owned by Chase now and I've never had an issue at any of my local branches.
Old Jan 25, 09, 4:17 pm

I am not a lawyer, but I would think that this would be illegal. If legal tender is not acceptable for deposit then how are you supposed to use it? No one that collects this form of payment would be able to deposit it without a fee.
Old Jan 25, 09, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

WaMu used to have a limit of the number of rolls one could deposit on any day. I haven't hit a wall on that lately. But the guy on Thursday did ask where I was getting them all from.
Old Jan 25, 09, 11:48 pm

Could you use the dollar coins to pay for a plane ticket?
Old Jan 26, 09, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
Could you use the dollar coins to pay for a plane ticket?
Sure, but not recommended.
  • You would have to do it in person at an airport or ticket office or travel agent, and that would cost you $ in fees
  • You would lose whatever miles/points you would earn from using a cc
  • You would probably be flagged by TSA for extra screening
Old Jan 26, 09, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by freyguy50 View Post
I am not a lawyer, but I would think that this would be illegal. If legal tender is not acceptable for deposit then how are you supposed to use it? No one that collects this form of payment would be able to deposit it without a fee.
After someone accepts these coins for payment, by the time they got to deposit them they would be circulated money, not new money anymore.
Old Jan 26, 09, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
OR...if you take them out of the rolls they are no longer "new money"
Old Jan 26, 09, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joediver View Post
OR...if you take them out of the rolls they are no longer "new money"
I wonder if "new money" means those new-fangled dollar coins.

It's a ridiculous sign.
Old Jan 26, 09, 11:30 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HH Gold, AA,DL,CO,NW,UA
Smile

Sorry to ask such a silly question, but did you ask them what this sign refers to? I don't understand its meaning so I would ask.

aloha, john
Old Jan 26, 09, 12:01 pm

Here in Baltimore if you buy a Metro ticket, machine will change in dollar coins. These coins are also accepted for ticket purchases. Couple of years ago old machines only accepted coins, had to use a separate machine to change bills ($1 and $5 only) to $1 coins.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: